Not getting hot enough after New Radiator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not getting hot enough after New Radiator

acrx7

Reaction score
City, State
Milford , MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hi Guys , its starting to get cold here in MA , I change my radiator on my 99 Ex 4.0 auto , they gave me a full core instead of the 1/4 core , so now it takes allot more fluid but that is not the problem , I only notice the radiator was full core instead of 1/4 core so I thought better for me , not so ! so I'm noticing that it doesn't get to full hot and when I put the heat on the needle drops to almost cold , if I drive it more than 1 hour than it gets hot enough that I can use the heat , the dilemma is I leave 20 from work so I can't drive around for 20min , I did put a new 198 degree thermostat since I know this might happen , should I get the 1/4 core ? any ideas , I guess I can let it run for 20min but I live in a Condo ! so I like to drive to work instead of walk to work :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is why you'll see semis and school buses with bits of cardboard or custom-fitted tarps on their grills in the winter.

I'd recommend getting a piece of cardboard that is roughly 1/2 - 2/3 the surface area as your radiator, and fixing it in place with zip-ties. If that doesn't help, get more cardboard and completely block the airflow to the radiator.

Then in the summer, pull it out so that your radiator can kick butt and keep you from getting anywhere close to overheating.

The thermostat is what controls how hot your engine (and therefore the heater) gets. If you've got the correct t-stat (190-195F) and it's working properly you should be getting heat. The radiator shouldn't make that much difference. The radiator may "cool" better, but the t-stat should still allow you to have heat.

I agree with Koda's assessment and wonder if the repair broke loose a lot of sludge or something that is preventing the t-stat from fully closing, or if they forgot to put the t-stat gasket in or something, or it's just defective.

Okay...I've worked on cars most of my life (and, restored a few) and have no idea what is meant by "full core" vs 1/4 core". I've only known radiators to be 2-row(core), 3-row or 4-row. Someone please enlighten me!

Okay...I've worked on cars most of my life (and, restored a few) and have no idea what is meant by "full core" vs 1/4 core". I've only known radiators to be 2-row(core), 3-row or 4-row. Someone please enlighten me!

I think your terminology is correct, and that you are already enlightened.

The thermostat is what controls how hot your engine (and therefore the heater) gets. If you've got the correct t-stat (190-195F) and it's working properly you should be getting heat. The radiator shouldn't make that much difference. The radiator may "cool" better, but the t-stat should still allow you to have heat.

Hey koda2000 , true , the thermostat I got is a 198degrees , I do get heat if I drive for more 30 or 45 minutes , with the old radiator I would get heat with out the needle falling to almost cold within 15 to 20min , I did get one of those fail safe thermostat , not sure if that's the problem .
Thank you :)

This is why you'll see semis and school buses with bits of cardboard or custom-fitted tarps on their grills in the winter.

I'd recommend getting a piece of cardboard that is roughly 1/2 - 2/3 the surface area as your radiator, and fixing it in place with zip-ties. If that doesn't help, get more cardboard and completely block the airflow to the radiator.

Then in the summer, pull it out so that your radiator can kick butt and keep you from getting anywhere close to overheating.

Thanks 96firephoenix , I will deff try that .

I agree with Koda's assessment and wonder if the repair broke loose a lot of sludge or something that is preventing the t-stat from fully closing, or if they forgot to put the t-stat gasket in or something, or it's just defective.

Hi J_C , I did the work , not my first rodeo , the thermostat comes with the gasket already on it and the hole its on top and on the correct orientation , the radiator it much thinker so it cools more it for a 5.0 and I have a 4.0 , the original radiator was 1/4 core and this one its full core :)

Thanks

Ha ha , yeap that's what I meant I figure since its the core that's what is call , but yea its 4 rows , and the original was 2 rows :)

I think your thermostat is stuck open.

I think your thermostat is stuck open.

@koda2000 is pry right thinking there is a thermostat problem . Right before I bought my Explorer from my parents, they had similar issues. Temp gauge showed cold temps. Drive 30 miles, and barely get heat from vents. A local mechanic replaced thermostat and coolant. After that, the heat from the vents was so hot that it felt like your hand was going to melt on the column shift with the vents blowing on it.

Tstats are infamous for failing right out of the box. Might have to test your buy putting it in boiling water and see if it opens up.

If it is a failsafe thermostat, heat soak ( after turning off engine) may cause it to fail open.
If it is a failsafe , Change it for a good 193 degree.

When servicing the cooling system, it is sometimes difficult to get all the air "burped" out.

Pull off the radiator cap and check for low coolant level. Low coolant is the most common cause for lack of heat, followed by a stuck thermostat.

Back