not the everyday lift/tire question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

not the everyday lift/tire question

armysoldier30263

Reaction score
City, State
Shaw AFB, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 BLACK 4.0 XLT
ive tried to do my research on here with no avail ... i can get a set of bfg mud terrains (265/70-17) for $460 brand new. and i have a few questions about these tires?

1 will i need a spacer lift?
2 will i need a wheel spacer lift?
3 how many miles do the mud terrains usually last for?
4 has btf squared away the problems with the spacers? (limiting straps) dont wanna have to buy the upper control arm (all street driving)

i plan on doing the lift but wanna know if they will fit on stock 17s i know at tires will fit stock but alot of people said bfg mts wont fit stock

thanks in advance guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

G'day mate. I have that size on my stock 17"s, mine aren't bfg but there is plenty of room on the rim, I reckon I could go a 285. The only place it might rub would be the plastic wheel well and then only on full lock. It's also going to be a tight fit near the strut, but you should get away with it. I have hub centric wheel spacers and haven't had any loosening of lugs in the 1000 miles or so I've had them on. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. If you get wheel spacer's get hub centric one's is all I'm going to say.

ive tried to do my research on here with no avail ... i can get a set of bfg mud terrains (265/70-17) for $460 brand new. and i have a few questions about these tires?

1 will i need a spacer lift?
2 will i need a wheel spacer lift?
3 how many miles do the mud terrains usually last for?
4 has btf squared away the problems with the spacers? (limiting straps) dont wanna have to buy the upper control arm (all street driving)

i plan on doing the lift but wanna know if they will fit on stock 17s i know at tires will fit stock but alot of people said bfg mts wont fit stock

thanks in advance guys

3- I usually average 30000 miles per set of mud tires. Highway tires I can get 50,000 miles out of.
1 & 2- With these tires you will want to do a lift OR do some trimming where its rubbing. My 245's were rubbing quite a lot and I had to do some wheel well trimming. That is only because I was missing a few clips on it.
4- Nothing yet (as far as I know). I think Brandon hasn't been on since december.

I think the tires should fit.

If you're doing all street driving you should be good with stock upper control arms and no more than 2.25" spacers in the front. Maybe put moog ball joints in at the same time if your stockers are cracked.

If that's the spacer height you are looking for see my sig I am selling 2.25/2 spacers.

I have just put a new set of 265/65's on my stock 17's and they fit great and look great with no rubbing. No need for wheel spacrers for these but if u want to go wider at any stage u will need some. I have Bridgstone Dueller 694's which r an AT, however i cant see a MT causing any issues.

Hey Lynchy where'd u get ur spacers from and wat they cost ya buddy? just curious in case i wanna get a set of fatties for my spare rims :D

when i searched for bfg mts everybody said they wont fit without lift and just wondering if these tires required spacers cause of the extra sidewall and beefier tread.

and ronin if youve still got the spacers in about 2 weeks ill most likely get em from you. how will the payment transfer occur?

and thanks nate thats around the mileage i figured out of the tires (but cant beat the price)

but im just concerned with the space between the tire and upper control arm. thats where the wheel spacer comes in. dont want em if i dont need em. cause ive seen the pics with 265s and they are close!!!

I have just put a new set of 265/65's on my stock 17's and they fit great and look great with no rubbing. No need for wheel spacrers for these but if u want to go wider at any stage u will need some. I have Bridgstone Dueller 694's which r an AT, however i cant see a MT causing any issues.

Hey Lynchy where'd u get ur spacers from and wat they cost ya buddy? just curious in case i wanna get a set of fatties for my spare rims :D

These blokes had the wheel spacers and were great to deal with:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/EZ-Accessory

price to Oz was about $180 shipped for the two sets. I think they offer free postage in the States if anyone wants to have a look.

PMd you.

265/70/17 should fit fine without any wheel spacers as far as the control arm. They will fill up the wheel wells pretty good so a lift is a good idea.

when i searched for bfg mts everybody said they wont fit without lift and just wondering if these tires required spacers cause of the extra sidewall and beefier tread.

and ronin if youve still got the spacers in about 2 weeks ill most likely get em from you. how will the payment transfer occur?

and thanks nate thats around the mileage i figured out of the tires (but cant beat the price)

but im just concerned with the space between the tire and upper control arm. thats where the wheel spacer comes in. dont want em if i dont need em. cause ive seen the pics with 265s and they are close!!!

so nate, were you talking about the bolt on clamp or a weldable reducer? and are kyb struts any good for our xs?

so nate, were you talking about the bolt on clamp or a weldable reducer? and are kyb struts any good for our xs?

Let me get the pictures uploaded real quick...

The struts I don't know anything about yet, I haven't changed those yet. Someone else should be able to help you or use the search function.

Let me get the pictures uploaded real quick...

The struts I don't know anything about yet, I haven't changed those yet. Someone else should be able to help you or use the search function.

Ok but I haven't searched yet .. On my phone ... But I'm not looking for offroad capable struts just a little more than OEM cuz my x will never see off road (black is unreal with scratches)

mufflercut1.jpg

Here's the pic of my old muffler. See where I cut the exhaust? on the front (right of pic) right before that factory clamp is the reducer.

You want your exhaust to look somewhat like this (where the factory clamp was) A nice 2.5" exhaust all the way out.
exhaust2.jpg

The clamp pictured is just there for the hanger.

Yeah that is a pretty big clamp ... Maybe taking to a muffler shop and get it welded or flip the bracket up at least ... I know it will be pretty hard to tighten if not impossible ... But I'm sure you've thought of that lol

Also with a new magnaflow the muffler is tucked up higher than the stock one, so you get more ground clearance although the stock muffler is enormous! :eek: I'm sure my Ex lost about 10lbs when that muffler came off.
I wouldn't suggest an 11226, because its a bit ricey at first, and is always loud. After about 4 weeks it was getting a deeper tone. The nicest thing about the 11226 is its a smaller muffler so you can do a lot more custom work with the exhaust; especially after the muffler.
I think I'll be fabricating a few skid plates in the next few months. I'll do a write up for that. Incase anyone would want to copy.

So you got the 11226? How does it sound at 2 -3000 rpms? And I think I want it to exit before the back tire maybe ... Caldwell turned me away from the turndown for the grocery getter ...

So you got the 11226? How does it sound at 2 -3000 rpms? And I think I want it to exit before the back tire maybe ... Caldwell turned me away from the turndown for the grocery getter ...

-Well at first, the muffler is a bit tinny sounding at 2-3k rpm. The more highway driving the better, as it will deepen up a lot quicker. If you can put up with it being a bit tinny for a few weeks then after that it just keeps getting deeper.
The muffler just has to have that "break in" period. I still do smell the burning smell that the muffler will have as it breaks in, and if you go with any magnaflow you will notice that.
-In 1 year the muffler will be quieter than when you install it. My 11226 has been on since October 28th 2010. So about 3 months and it has gotten slightly quieter, but it is a much deeper tone. From 1k to about 2200k it has a nice deep rumble.

alright im definitely gonna have to go with that one ... but ill got with the aluminized setup ... i dont see enough snow/salt for it to matter ... but you said you did go 2.5 out the muffler?

I was thinking about doing a 2.25 inlet and 2.5 outlet ... I think that would be a little cheaper but would it matter performance wise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back