• Register Today It's free!

OBD II cables

andypalmer

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 SOHC XLT
I am looking to use my laptop as a scan tool, I have found some software but need to get the cable. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I have a 1998 X and would prefer USB but I could get a USB-Serial adaptor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have to get some type of adapter. We don't have the factor Ford Laptop stuff at work yet...so I don'tknow exactly what you need to make it work!

-Drew

Does the Explorer connection have a special name? Presumably any cable with that same connection would work then.

Someone out there must have done this or at least know how to. I have found several websites I can get cables from but I don't know which specific one is for the Explorer.

Are you talking about what cables will connect to the OBD-II connector? It's a 16-pin connector - just your standard OBD-II connector!

-Drew

ps - is your full name Andrew Palmer? If so - that's mine as well! Care to share your middle name?

OK, sounds good. I'll probably try that.

ahh well atleast we have the same first and last name! :thumbsup:

-Drew

Back