OD "shudder" on engagement... Opinions? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OD "shudder" on engagement... Opinions?

What bore number is the reverse modulator bore?

pj8847 said:
well, Thankfully I fixed the tranny. Couldn't stand looking at it anymore, and I couldn't wait for anything to be shipped, so I improvised.

I had some parts laying around from a few GM trannies, ( micellaneous o-rings and crap) and I went to the dealer and got the separator plate gaskets, (I wanted the gaskets, the plate, and the o-rings for the reverse servo as well... but... according to them, the separator plate and the reverse servo are DISCONTINUED and can't be ordered, although I gave them the #'s and they claimed they were the wrong ones, and refused to sell them to me. the system they were running looked as if it were from 10 yrs ago...), they also told me they ONLY came WITH the VB if I bought one.. I asked how much....$800 friggin BUCKS!!! I told him just gimme the damn gaskets and piss off. Came back home and dropped the VB, only to find every single bolt wasn't torqed down AT ALL, several I spun out with my fingers and the rest just needed a slight tweak and out they popped. (I should have checked them when I was in there last time... DOHHHH!)

When I dropped the reverse servo cover I found i could not move the piston at all. Finally got it out to find a nasty gouge in it (the upper smaller diameter part with the smaller o-ring) and in the bore itself.

Apparently this WAS NOT a NEW tranny that I paid for, and got from ford (I'm looking into what I can do to recover some of what I paid for it starting monday, I think they owe me roughly $800 - $900, and the place that put it in WAS a ford stealership... I asked the dealer how much a rebuild is today, and was told $2100, without install, new, $3000, just tranny) it was a rebuild, and the gaskets were not OEM and definitely screwed. One good point about it which I was shocked to find, a shift kit apparently was ALREADY installed, (plate was definitely drilled), and it already had an upgraded boost valve?! Definitely wasn't the stocker! looked almost like the sonnax, Might have been and older version or another company? and looking up into the openings for the bands, everything I could see seemed to be in great shape. One thing I was curious about, what color are the bands normally? from what i could see, (not much, but enough) mine appear to be green. I thought they are supossed to be red/brown or black?

Anyways, Nice huh, ok, so not so bad, I ripped it all apart (the VB) down to the bare body, parts everywhere...lol and painstakingly cleaned and inspected every bore, valve, solenoid, retainer, o-ring, spring... you get the picture, ( mind you, getting some of the bores empty was a real pain in the ass!) after finding a small piece of o-ring lodged within the reverse modulator valve bore (yup, reverse was out because of TWO problems, I have no idea where this piece of o-ring came from, probably last rebuild) I reassembled the whole thing and got to work on the reverse servo and bore.

Since it was gouged to ****, bad enough that the smaller o-ring was wrecked from it, I inspected the bore to find bits of casting towards the top where the rod goes in to engage the band. Apparently the case wasn't machined perfectly and a small piece broke off and wedged itself between the servo piston and the bore, doing its damage. (I got the piece) great I thought, now what, that is when I realized, I'll attempt to sleeve it! So I broke out my small hone that is used for wheel cylinders and went to work taking about .010-.015 ( I'm estimating, everything was by eye and feel, it may have been more) out of the bore all around, nice and slow. Took forever... I also removed any loose casting material that was left. (I didn't measure it before, although it was probably stock dimensions) I went into my basement where I had (this is where i improvised) closet rod ( I think it was a closet rod, it may have been from a table as well, not sure)... steel, whatever it was, to be exact. Of course it was hollow, and the walls were fairly thin, perfect for my needs. I had honed enough out of the bore that it fit in VERY tight (had to be popped in with a makeshift installer and mallet, ok, it was very tight! and I guess I was one lucky ****) I then had to hone the sleeve itself a little bit to get the piston to slide up in nice and snug, ( which took even longer than the bore itself!) then finished it off with 1000 grit wet sandpaper wrapped around the heads of the hone (what a pain in the ass!) and finalized it with my dremel, a small polishing wheel, and some polishing compound. Looked like brand new! I even ground down and polished the edge CAREFULLY so that it matched the chamfer (spelling?) of the bore.

I already had done the servo and lightly touched up the spots where it was gouged to remove the burrs and smooth it out. Once that was done I dug into my box of parts and found a nice fat o-ring that fit the job nicely. (never get rid of anything!... heh heh)

With that done, i slapped the VB up, torqed it down, installed the servo piston/rod, went up very smooth, had fluid movement, but needed firm pressure, it was like butter... (BTW, the rod on the servo piston had A single band around it, that makes it the shortest of three if I remember correctly? AND, there was NO spring installed... but I remedied that, IDIOTS!)

Bolted up the servo cover and installed the filter (FYI, PUROLATOR has a filter IDENTICAL to the fram microfiber one, I wouldn't settle for anything less, but no one by me had any frams in stock...so I started going through all the boxes at the autoparts, drove the chick behind the counter MAD... but I gave her $5 for the hassle and she was cool...heh heh. the purolator also comes with BOTH o-rings, the bolt/spacer AND a new RE-USABLE pan gasket, all for 16 clams... Not bad at all! (I think she may have given me a discount, not sure...)

With the pan bolted up I dropped in 4 quarts and prayed to the automotive gods that it would work while giving the truck the sign of the cross... Started her up, let her run for 5 mins at idle, then tried her out....ummmm...no gears at ALL! thats when i realized, The nose of the truck was way up in the air on ramps (old steel ramps, with some Serious height to them, so, I pulled my cripple ass out of the truck, half in the door,half out, pushed with my good leg, while barely holding the brake with my bad one (that was painful) and got the truck down off the ramps. Checked the fluid, nothing showing on the stick, thats when i realized alot more than 4 quarts had drained out, so I added one. The fifth quart got forward to just barely engage, but no reverse, I was like...oh crap... checked again, still nothing on the stick, so i dropped in 2 more, and the level finally showed, but a bit to high, got back in the truck and put her in D, she engaged the second the shifter clicked onto D, I then tried reverse...

UREKA!!! friggin reverse kicked in with such a hard lock I almost wet myself...LOL I'll be damned, it's working! So I went back and forth through all the gears with not one bit of delay at all, SWEET! Solid, positive engagment in all gears! I checked the level again and it had settled down to a perfect level.. I was DONE! So, one orphan o-ring, a cut off piece of hollow steel closet rod/table leg/patio umbrella rod?( still don't know what the hell it was too, hope the wife didn't need it...), a wheel cylinder hone, dremel, some well spent time and 7 quarts of fluid later, I'm back up and runnin... WAY better that it ever was before! And on FRIDAY THE 13th, My lucky day! ( I usually find money, never fails, guess today I found a savings of $2000+...lol I'm not complaining!) Took her out and gave her a good drive, it's like i have a new tranny in it!

THANKS for the help guys! and thanks to those who write extreamly well diaries and logs of there work. I hope to go elite within the week to show my appreciation. I was a staight up GM tranny guy, but now My knowledge has expanded thanks to many here, and I can add ford to the list. (DL-ing the ford cd from the link provided ^^^ in the stickies didn't hurt either!)

THANKS AGAIN!

P.S. I wanted to snap pictures of the "machining" work I did, but I couldn't find my damn camera, after squawking at the wife about it ( she usually takes my stuff and puts it where i can't find it) and it was all done and working, I went into my glove box to grab a pack of smokes, (I keep an extra pack there, and I needed one!) guess what I find? the damn CAMERA! DAMNIT! (I may pull the pan in a few weeks, to check out the servo "fix" and make sure its ok, not sure how the heat/pressure is going to affect it, if i do, i'll snap a few then.) G'NITE!

What bore number is the reverse modulator bore?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did you replace the spring on your reverse servo?

With that done, i slapped the VB up, torqed it down, installed the servo piston/rod, went up very smooth, had fluid movement, but needed firm pressure, it was like butter... (BTW, the rod on the servo piston had A single band around it, that makes it the shortest of three if I remember correctly? AND, there was NO spring installed... but I remedied that, IDIOTS!)

8588ranger : I'm not sure what the bore # is, as I was working off of an "exploded view" diagram I grabbed off of the ford cd. (the same one referenced in Glacier's VB rebuild thread *I think*? Also very similar to the one Brooklyn posted ^ there) I also found another on a website (forget which one) but neither referenced bore #'s.

cloaked_chaos : The spring I used I grabbed from my "Box-O-Parts", I had several others as well, but this one seemed to fit, and was the lightest out of the bunch.

Which makes me wonder, what the stock spring's compressed weight is, and what affect will using a lighter/heavier spring have in this tranny. At this point I don't know, (since the spring in mine was not there) but I'm sure a heavier spring would add a bit of delay as well as soften the engagment.

Mine is quite firm now, (reverse) but I like it that way, and with the spring in there, I know the servo is being returned to it's "resting" position when not under pressure.

P.S. I got a call from the guy up at my local parts place, he just wanted to let me know he now had a pressure gauge I could borrow... :rolleyes: I told him he was just a bit to late... AND, I found my original receipts, tranny was supposed to be NEW, not REBUILT... lets see what ford is willing to do to remedy this... since there is a DRAMATIC difference in the price from one to the other... and mine definitely was not a new tranny.

The previous page had a general diagram. Here is a numbered diagram from Glacier991's photo gallery:
5r55VB.gif

This is an explaination of what the numbers represent:
5r55partslist.gif

Just an update

Well, the tranny is fine, good shifts, nice ride, it's never been better.

One problem though, apparently, the reverse servo cover gasket wasn't as good as i though it was, and is now allowing fluid to blow past it under pressure. Whenever i shift into reverse, it still engages quick, but, I get a "squeal" every now and then, it's definitely a pressure "squeal". Like an idiot, I re-used the gasket that was there because it looked fine (except for a very VERY tiny little crack on the cover side that didn't even go through the whole gasket) and also because FORD wouldn't give me one. I never would have done this, but for some reason, this time i did.... :confused:

So I'll be pulling the pan again, as I'm sure with time the gasket will go, and reverse will go with it...again... besides, if it's venting pressurized fluid, that means eventually i'll have a low pressure situation in the servo, which could cause me to burn up the band, and thats not a good thing.

pj8847 said:
Just an update

Well, the tranny is fine, good shifts, nice ride, it's never been better.

One problem though, apparently, the reverse servo cover gasket wasn't as good as i though it was, and is now allowing fluid to blow past it under pressure. Whenever i shift into reverse, it still engages quick, but, I get a "squeal" every now and then, it's definitely a pressure "squeal". Like an idiot, I re-used the gasket that was there because it looked fine (except for a very VERY tiny little crack on the cover side that didn't even go through the whole gasket) and also because FORD wouldn't give me one. I never would have done this, but for some reason, this time i did.... :confused:

So I'll be pulling the pan again, as I'm sure with time the gasket will go, and reverse will go with it...again... besides, if it's venting pressurized fluid, that means eventually i'll have a low pressure situation in the servo, which could cause me to burn up the band, and thats not a good thing.

*EDIT*: well, it's 3pm, and apparently the tranny just told me to go F myself and self destructed... :fire: :fire: :fire:

started out earlier noticing a very slight slip from 2nd to third,(while I was running some errands) accompanied by a very strange " howling" or "squeal"( I thought a cat got wrapped around my D-shaft, was definitely coming from the pan) in 2nd. Got progressively worse as I headed for home to the point of feeling like it dropped into neutral every time it went to shift to third, then BAM, hard into third it goes. 1st is fine, reverse is ok, but seems a bit weak now. all gears 1 thru 3rd when manually selected have engine braking, but 2nd to 3rd slips like a wet flipflop on dogshit when in D... OD is FINE! when i can get up enough speed to get into OD that is... ohh, btw.... ALL gears, 1st-2nd-3rd-R,,, I did the stall speed test, all are perfect at 2200 RPM's, WOT...WTF??? :fire: :fire: :fire:

Checked the fluid and it smells burnt to **** as well, and as far as being the nice pinkish red color it was a few days ago when i put it in, nope, looks as though someone had a combination of a bad case of the hershey squirts, and a ruptured hemoroid at the same time, and decided to sit on my dipstick, a dark brownish, red color. :thumbdwn:

I'm thinking something in the VB gave out, or the gaskets blew again, as they were paper thin, well even thiner then a sheet of paper..., which could definitely mean the VB is warped, and I should toss it out like an unwanted mother-in-law...typical ford crap...I should have SOLD the damn thing TO my Mother-in Law! :thumbsup:

I get no CEL, No Flashing OD light, nothing, nothing, nothing. I must have pissed someone off, or royally screwed them over in a past life, the last 2 weeks have been hell, and seem to be getting worse by the day.

first the tranny, then a fracked up oil filter making my engine sound like it was full of marbles (that got fixed by using a motocraft filter), and now the tranny again, but worse this time arround. I'd rip the SOB out if I could and rebuild it, but I am unable to since my knee is fragged as well...and the funds just won't permit a shop to do it (need all I can get now, insurance denied the surgery, *******s)...it just can't get any worse than this.... ohh damn...now I've done it.... :eek: :rolleyes:

Anyone want a fantastic shape explorer? I'll even be a pal and throw in the possessed tranny, embedded in the skull of my $#@%ing mother-in law.... :shoot:

Well, I'm on the road to doing a complete build up. I'm now in the process of fishing arround for a good core to rebuild. I've gotten my list of parts, and once I find a rebuildable core that meets with my approval, I'll be sending in my order and EVERYTHING is going to be replaced with new parts, regardless of their condition.

I'd pull the tranny out of the truck and do that one, but, since it still moves about, I'm leaving it in so I can move the truck if need be.

If time permits, I'll be making a photo journal of all the steps and progress, not only to make sure I have something to refer to if I screw up..(it's possible... :D ) but also to give others something to refer to if need be.

I'm by no means new to the auto tranny rebuild scene, I've done countless GM's and several other manufacturers (Hyundai, dodge, toyota), but this ford will be my first... (I'm a ford trans. virgin... :D lol).

I know the hardest, and most painful part (for me anyways) will be removing and re-installing the tranny, other than that, should be a piece of cake.

So far, cost of all parts (not including rebuildable core, which I should be able to grab for next to nothing, if not free) is about $700 (give or take a few extras I may be able to get for less when the time comes to order). Tools are of no concern, as I have 2 fully stocked boxes (except the pump alignment tool, which I'll probably go rent/borrow from a local shop).

Wish me luck.. being it's a ford, i'll need it... :frustrate I'll either update here, or start a new thread once i have the core, and start the teardown.

P.S. If all goes well, I'll also rebuild the one in the truck now, and sell it at a considerable profit, (gotta get my money back from this POS ford tranny somehow)

I'm sorry, but with all the time, frustration and expensive parts you've gotten into, maybe that rebuild wasn't such a bad idea? Believe me, I know how you feel about mechanics, but they often know things that maybe aren't initially obvious, but wind up being the better solution in th elong run.

I hope it works out for you. I think I would have shot myself by now.

Back