• Register Today It's free!

98 AWD 4R70W OD Shudder

Buzzard

Reaction score
City, State
lawrenceburg, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT AWD
I looked at all the threads that applied to this problem but never found a completed solution. Here's what I have been through in the last week. I have a 98 Explorer V8 awd with a 4r70w tranny. It shifts through all gears fine with the exception of a good shudder into OD and a hard shudder back to 3rd under accelaration. The fluids and filter have been changed at regular intervals 25k. After being diagnosed by the shop it was determined that another fluid and filter change and additive may be needed. After a road test with diagnostic hookup the same problem was apparent. Shop now recommends a $1,300 semi rebulid or a complete rebuild with 3 yr 50,000mi warranty for $2,000. As I understand it, there were no metal shavings in the pan and the tech thought the tranny looked fairly clean until it was torn down and saw the scaring on the OD band and missing pins from various valves. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here will be appreciated. Sure I can go with a complete rebuild and have 2k worth of peace of mind but this thing shouldn't have this kind of problem after only 77k miles. Forgot to mention that this vehicle only had 77k on it and I purchsed it at a city auction. It was owned by the city I live in and used very little over the past 9 years, but it was serviced every 3 months or 3,000 miles which ever comes first and the service records I have show tranny fluid changes at approx every 25k.

Thanks

If I am understanding you the tranny is out of the vehicle and torn down at the present time?

You are correct Sir

$2k Rebuild completed and the X is driving like new. Feels good to have a solid drivetrain and peace of mind. Allthough the tranny should have never gone bad at 77k to begin with. Spoke to a Ford Rep. and he blamed it on stop and go city driving. What a joke.

Back