ODBII code P0171-System Fuel Too Lean Bank 1 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ODBII code P0171-System Fuel Too Lean Bank 1

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
My check engine light came on during a very cold morning and has stayed on. I got a code of P0171 - system fuel too lean bank 1.

Okay, where would I first look to fix it?

'99 SOHC, 49,000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try moving the injectors from the from one bank to the other and reset the cpu to see if one is gummed up or faulty. If it is it will switch banks.Or maybe just reset the cpu to see if it was just a glitch.

Actually I am not familiar w/ the SOHC engine so you shouldn't listen to me!

Originally posted by GJarrett
My check engine light came on during a very cold morning and has stayed on. I got a code of P0171 - system fuel too lean bank 1.

Okay, where would I first look to fix it?

'99 SOHC, 49,000 miles.

Go to your dealer to have your lower intake manifold o-rings replaced. It will be performed at no charge under Owner Notification Program 00M12. Your warranty on them has been extended to 6 years/72K miles (unlimited miles through 4/01). Same exact symptoms as my '97 SOHC V6, very common problem. You may even notice that your Explorer's idle hunts around a little bit on cold mornings until your engine warms up. Be sure and mention that also to your dealer. Call 1(800)392-3673 (Ford Hotline) and give them our VIN and ask them about 00M12. They will fax the information to the dealer of your choice eliminating any hassles. You could pull the negative battery cable for a few minutes which will clear the light for a day or two, sometimes even for a week or two, but it will come back on. Might as well let Ford fix it correctly on their dime.

Wow... Thanks Robert.

The knowledge base available on this site never ceases to amaze me. You are right; my idle does in fact hunt around a little bit on cold mornings now. I'll take this information and get my dealer to mess with it.

Once again, thanks!

PS: HIX, that is still a clever idea no matter what engine. I would have tried it if Robert hadn't answered and guessed corectly that I also had a bad idle on cold warmups.

Gerald...

I figured if I gotta remove a few injectors you could too!! I got a bad tank of gas in Kansas towing the U-haul on my four day Denver to Philly and back. I have to replace four of six injectors and my FPR. I am not so mad about changing the parts b/c of a hook-up at the dealer, it is the fact that during the drive back I had to stop EVERY 190 miles to fill up w/ gas. Add the blowwing snow and -10 wind chill and...well let's just say that there was a frightened turtle on the drive w/ me.

Gerald, you're welcome

My '97 developed the problem in March of last year when I had around 50K-52K on it. It was the coldest spell of the year here in Phoenix. I had noticed all winter that my idle seemed to bounce from 600-1000 RPM when I first started it in the morning. In March, my Check Engine light came on. I had my light come on about 10 months earlier when traveling across the country pulling a trailer. I pulled the battery cable off at a rest stop, and didn't see the light again until March, 99. My light came on less than a mile after leaving work one afternoon when the temperature was in the low 50s. When I got home, I disconnected the battery thinking it was probably just a glitch again. About 1 1/2 weeks later the light came back on. I disconnected the battery again, but this time the light came back on 2 days later. Since I was well out of warranty, I bought an OBD-II scanner figuring I would get a lot of use out of it in my Explorer anyway. Read the codes and got a P0171 set as a trouble code and a P0174 as a pending code. I checked out Alldata.com for TSBs and found a TSB that had both of those codes listed (along with a couple of other ones). The TSB attributed it to leaking lower intake manifold o-rings. The procedure to verify it was to inject propane in around the manifold while monitoroing the short-term fuel trims. When I sprayed the propane, the fuel trims would change by about 50%. Take the bottle away, the fuel trims would go right back to where they started at. It matched the TSB to a 'T'. I took it to a shop and had Warranty Gold pay for new o-rings. I didn't think it was a common problem until I started seeeing many posts from people with the SOHC V6 with the same problems. For all of them, the fix was replacing the o-rings. Then when Ford came out with their Owner Notification Program (00M12), it became very obvious that it was a lot more common that I at first thought. I see 3-4 mew posts a week now from people with the same symptoms. The common items are SOHC and 40K-60K miles. Fortunately for me (as well as many other Explorer owners) Ford also included the rattling cam-shaft tensioners in the same program. My Explorer had been sounding like a diesel for the last 1 1/2 years, but since Warranty Gold has an exclusion for fixing any item that the manufacturer has issued a TSB for, I wasn't going to try and get them to replace my tensioners to fix a noise that Ford still says is only "cosmetic" and causes no harm.

Re: Gerald, you're welcome

OK guys stay with me this is my maiden post on this site. Well you guesed it my Check Engine light has been on for quite some time (97 XLT 4X4 4.0 SOHC 45K). Here is my story: I was on travel last summer (August 00) when my wife called to say ye ole light was on, and what should she do? Everything seemed to be running fine, rather than tell here to do nothing and wait for my return I reluctantly sent her to the dealer. A $100 later they told her it was either 02 sensors, ignition wires, or intake manifold gaskets and for about $800 they could take care of it. The phone rings again, "Honey, $800 what should I do? Response: Have them reset the light and I'll take care of it when I return. Sure enough about 1K miles later the light is back on, still everything is running fine. I continue to ignore it and do the old disconnect the battery trick. Again the light comes back on (within a week), I call the dealer to find out what codes he pulled when they checked it in the summer, and sure enough they did not write them down. This weekend I took it to my buddy who has a reader, you guessed it p0171 & p0174. I called the Ford Hotline as suggested by you guys and yes it is covered under 00m12. Just got off the phone with my dealer, he is going to call me back with an appointment. If I get this done for free I owe someone some brew or fishing if you are ever in Maui! BTW this recall also covers a Cam Chain Tension adjustment. Symtoms are a rattling during start-up, sure enough I noticed that this weekend as well. One thing that sort of bugs me, why didn't my dealer tell me about the recall when he suggested the intake gaskets this summer to my wife? I am going to wait until things are fixex before I go there. Will keep you posted on the progress.

Originally posted by Robert
My '97 developed the problem in March of last year when I had around 50K-52K on it. It was the coldest spell of the year here in Phoenix. I had noticed all winter that my idle seemed to bounce from 600-1000 RPM when I first started it in the morning. In March, my Check Engine light came on. I had my light come on about 10 months earlier when traveling across the country pulling a trailer. I pulled the battery cable off at a rest stop, and didn't see the light again until March, 99. My light came on less than a mile after leaving work one afternoon when the temperature was in the low 50s. When I got home, I disconnected the battery thinking it was probably just a glitch again. About 1 1/2 weeks later the light came back on. I disconnected the battery again, but this time the light came back on 2 days later. Since I was well out of warranty, I bought an OBD-II scanner figuring I would get a lot of use out of it in my Explorer anyway. Read the codes and got a P0171 set as a trouble code and a P0174 as a pending code. I checked out Alldata.com for TSBs and found a TSB that had both of those codes listed (along with a couple of other ones). The TSB attributed it to leaking lower intake manifold o-rings. The procedure to verify it was to inject propane in around the manifold while monitoroing the short-term fuel trims. When I sprayed the propane, the fuel trims would change by about 50%. Take the bottle away, the fuel trims would go right back to where they started at. It matched the TSB to a 'T'. I took it to a shop and had Warranty Gold pay for new o-rings. I didn't think it was a common problem until I started seeeing many posts from people with the SOHC V6 with the same problems. For all of them, the fix was replacing the o-rings. Then when Ford came out with their Owner Notification Program (00M12), it became very obvious that it was a lot more common that I at first thought. I see 3-4 mew posts a week now from people with the same symptoms. The common items are SOHC and 40K-60K miles. Fortunately for me (as well as many other Explorer owners) Ford also included the rattling cam-shaft tensioners in the same program. My Explorer had been sounding like a diesel for the last 1 1/2 years, but since Warranty Gold has an exclusion for fixing any item that the manufacturer has issued a TSB for, I wasn't going to try and get them to replace my tensioners to fix a noise that Ford still says is only "cosmetic" and causes no harm.

The Owner Notification Bulletin wasn't announced until November. Last summer there wasn't such a thing. Does the fishing in Maui include airfare from Phoenix?

97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Hello,
Reading this subject described the problems I am having with my 97 Explorer to a T.
I would like to know if anyone else that has this problem has had any success with getting Ford to fix it. I talk to them on the 1(800)392-3673 (Ford Hotline) and they told me my 97 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC was not cover under Owner Notification Program 00M12. All though it covered Explorers from 97-2001. They stated that only a select few fell into this program. My question is if they are having this problem with so many, why are only a select few covered? Anyone out there have an answer for this logic? V/R, Mike.

Do a search for 00M12. You should find various letters that I have posted from Ford to the dealers and consumers regarding what 00M12 covers. Basically the letter to the dealer states that all 4.0L SOHC engines built from Job #1 through April 7, 2000 are elegible for the program. I would try the Ford (800) number again. If you have, then try going directly to the dealer. Print out the letter to the dealer first. If you can't find it, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you all of the letters involved. Should be plenty of ammunition to get Ford to see that you are in fact covered (provided you have less than 72K miles). If yours has already been updated though, their computers will show that yours is not elegible. I've heard of that happening also.

Many Thanks!!

Appreciate the info and post!!

Excellent JOB Robert! I'd also like to point out that you make an excellent case for owning a scanner that can give you fuel trims (and other valuable data) instead of just a code reader that only gives you fault codes. There's GOLD in that data, and the cost difference isn't all that great!

Holy crap.. resurrecting a 2 year old thread..

Try 4. The advice is timeless ! <g>

So,

I've got 76k on my 2001 Explorer Sport and I've been experiencing nasty idle-hunting, cold startup stalls, and last night I just got a lean code on one of the banks. What you do guys think my chances are of having Ford pay for this? It's been going on during the cold season since a year ago, but now it's really bad. Again, I'm 4k over the warranty. Am I S.O.L.? Give me your opinions please.

Folken

Yup, SOL

:fire: Well,

Ford's 800 number just told me I'm SOL and so did the dealer. The lady on the phone went so far as to correct me when I mistakenly said recall instead of "owner notification program." That's wierd since AllData has it listed under their "Recalls" section. Man, this sucks!

The best part? The Dealer quoted me labor at $275, even though the bulletin itself states that they should only bill Ford 1.8 hours! That seems waaay too high for labor. At least the Cam tensioner and gasket kit is only $52.

I inquired about this issue to a dealer one year ago, too! The idle was wandering like crazy and stalling on cold mornings. Sigh... Here's the repair jobs done so far (at 76k):

:thumbdwn: New ball joints (pretty sure they're the lower ones)

:thumbdwn: New differential pinion seal(leaky!)

:thumbdwn: New rear windshield wiper motor (under warranty)

:thumbdwn: New rear wiper arm (damn technician elongated the arm spring installing it. I had to bring it twice after the motor replacement to get them to finally give me a functioning rear wiper! To top it off, it was done after the 3/36,000 warranty let out!)

:thumbdwn: 3rd set of front rotors and pads (maintainence, i know. Still scary since I've driven/owned trucks before and I know I'm not heavy at all on the brakes! First 2 sets were motorcraft, now I'm using Carquest rotors/Bendix pads. Boy, do I have a NASTY dealer story about this one!)

:thumbdwn: Running boards starting rusting around the rubber step grips at 50k. Back bumper is now rusting too, just under the plastic top. I know I'm a snow-belt driver, but rust at 50k?

:thumbdwn: I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing the Front Axle - Squealing/Whistling Noise Article No. 01-11-4 TSB as well!

Guys (and Gals), this isn't typical for a vehicle of this age, is it? Seriously, this concerns me. I've constantly defended Ford against some of my arrogant holier-than-thou Japanese car driver friends, but I guess you can say that I'm honestly questioning my faith (in Ford altogether) right now. In fact, I've left out a few other experiences with this car that aren't Ford's fault, but are really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
:fire:

Please, give me your opinions. Is this typical?

One Last Thing,

Sorry to be going post crazy, but I've really lost my cool over here. I'm thinking about taking a bite out of some dealer's hide on this one.

I remembered how I asked the dealer last April about this very specific problem and listed my symptoms. I asked if they new about any issues related to the symptoms I listed and their response was a standard plug about running (and charging) for a diagnostic. Now, I was checking some forums and I see that the '99 SVT Cobra came in for a lower intake manifold gasket issue too! Is this a common problem or some crap supplier? Can I scream at the dealer for this oversight (when I was still well within the warranty?) Also, would I be out of line for *****ing about something like this? I really don't think I should have to pay for this, but Ford sure does. Please, send me your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Folken

D.i.y.

Hi Folken I had this problem here in the UK and ford didnt want to know :fire: so I ordered a Haynes manual from amazon and bought the gaskets and 'O' rings and Did It Myself :p not realising that you could do the cam tensioners at the same time :eek: but it was a fairly easy job although i didnt follow the manual to the letter. :rolleyes:

If your any good at throwing a spanner have a go it only took about 2 hrs.

Il probably do the tensioners after christmas :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's much easier to do everything in the 00M12 all at one time since you have to remove both the upper and lower intakes to get at the tensioner. I don't remember how long it took me to do mine. It involved getting a huge socked to fit around tensioner (I want to say 1 1/8") and then going back and getting the right size after they gave me the wrong part number. It took a little bit of time fishing out the plug they gave me too. Overall the job costed me about $60 (I got the socket for free by signing up for a Sears card). The dealer quoted me $200 for the job. Saved myself some money when things were tight. Don't have any idle searching, but do have a rattle on occassion. There is a good write-up here, should be in the list of useful threads section.

Back