Off-road lights with stock alternator | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off-road lights with stock alternator

I want to add some off road lights to my truck. I would like to do one of these setups:

4 55w on roof rack, 2 100w on front bumper
or
4 55w on roof rack, 2 55w on front bumper

Would it be possible to run either of these setups with the stock alternator?
Would I need a new battery?

I have HID headlights and would like to do HID fogs in the future as well.

I have a mix of needing to see my sides, and far. We have a lot of moose around here... and outta town.. really long roads..

OK on the Moose...

I am looking for or thinking of making, a light bar for my newly acquired 2003 Ranger (25K miles) and I plan on running four 130 watt lights mounted on the front on the light bar; all four will be the Slim Line KCs, two driving pattern and two pencil beams.
I know there will be a lot of light so I am not worrying about 100 watts vs 130 watts, I am just buying the largest wattage for each beam pattern.
I may have to replace the OEM Alternator but as Bill has stated hook them up and see what happens.

Luck to both of you, give us pics and a write up when things are finished.

ltr

I'm not sure of the ratings on the Rangers, but I think they come with 90 amps?

The V8 explorer comes with a 130amp.

Some off road lights are available over the internet for shopping and it is not really costly. You just need to look for one that will fit and vary to your vehicle so as to make it look elegant.

off road lights

Yeah I've got 4 Hella 500's with 100w bulbs on my bumper now, and two fog's in the grill.

Back