Off Throttle Vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off Throttle Vibration

oversteer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Greetings. Just got back from a 2000 mile trip in my '02 Explorer. 139K, V6, AWD.

I noticed that if you let off the gas anywhere between 70 and 80, there's a driveline vibration. If under throttle, there is no vibration. I did some searching and I'm still a bit puzzled. It sounds like it's in the rear of the car. Other than that, there are no noises or vibrations. Is the most likely culprit the U Joints on the rear driveshaft? Can the Explorers be safely driven with the rear shaft removed? I thought about removing and putting it in 4wd and seeing if I still get the vibration. I haven't been underneath the car to shake things down. However, I know from past experience (Cherokee's) that the joints aren't always loose... Any thoughts?

Yes, I realize this is an old post -- but did you (or anyone else) ever get this situation figured out? I've had this for a while... replaced my U-joints and that didn't do it. Any thoughts?

no cant drive without the rear shaft as all the power tries to go there.
vibration wont be from the rear, it will possibly be from the front tail shaft CV joint going bad.

Back