• Register Today It's free!

65 mph and Over vibration

bizzs

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonia Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2003 explorer xlt and it has had a loud vibration noise for years. Recently the vibration noise is becoming louder. Has anyone experienced a loud vibration coming from the front end while traveling 65 mph and over. The noise does not happen below 65 mph. The front bearings are newer timkins and the front end is fairly newer and has no play in the steering or ball joints. Last year I had replaced both front CV joints too. Could the front driveshaft universals joints be the culprit? I had the wife drive the truck on the highway while I sat in the back and the vibration did not appear to be coming from the rear end. The vibration noise seems to be the loudest near the center console where the transfer case is. The truck runs great and the transmission shifts normal without whining or slipping and the 4wd works normal. The vibration is so annoying that I have to crank the radio up to drown the nose out while we are driving on the highway. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could have some thing to do with the front drive shaft all you have to do to check that is get under it and see if you can wiggle it if you cant then that is good or it could be as simple as a broken belt in one of the tires with that you wouldnt notice the vibration or the sound till you got to higher speeds i hope that will help you

I have vibration above 65 without the noise. It can be felt in the steering and left front floorboard. Due to some tire wear issues, I replaced front ball joints, struts, and outer tie rod. Wheel alignment shop said inner tie rods were worn. After alignment the vibration is better but still there. Next month I will replace the inners.

Vibration on these over 60mph is often caused by wheels out of balance, take it to a shop to have the suspension looked over, and then if all checks out have it balanced and aligned. Mine would always start shaking and vibrating all over as soon as I hit 60, in fact it's started up again just recently. If not, it could be a drive shaft out of balance or a u-joint, or more expensively an issue with a differential or transfer case

i would check the front drive shaft u joint and the propeller joint closest to the transfer case

Back