• Register Today It's free!

oil and spark plugs

05 sport trac

Reaction score
City, State
Lithia, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 sport trac xlt
its about that time for an oil change and now new spark plugs. What kinna oil and plugs do ya'll think r best for the trac?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A full synthetic oil for sure. I prefer Amsoil. For spark plugs your best choice is Motorcraft.

thanks. yea i am lookin for horsepower and quality. I hear alot about royal purple oil anybody have any experience with that?

Plugs, either Motorcraft or Autolite double-platinum. DO NOT get multi electrode plugs like Bosch, they do not get along well with the Ford ignition system.
Most any synthetic oil is fine, I occasionally send my used oil to a lab for testing and I get the lowest wear metals with Pennzoil Platinum (although I have not tried every oil there is).
Regular Mobil 1 5w-30 was fine.
Curiously, Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w-30 was awful in the lab tests so I wouldn't recommend it.

Just changed my plugs with AutoLite APP103 dbl platinum. I'm not one for exotic plugs of any kind. Radio interference, ignition incompatibility.

You'll need to take off the front tires to gain access to the heads. I used a piece of rubber hose to help with the re-install on the right bank. Slip it over the top of the plug, guide it into the head and twist . You'll also find it's easier to use a wrench on the plug socket hex rather than a ratchet. (I've got every flex socket and flex head ratchet known to man and still used a box wrench on at least two of the cylinders).

The old plugs came out pretty easily, but I always "crack" them in the tighten direction first. Engine runs great, but I'm thinking about an O2 sensor next- idles a little rough.

i have just changed my plugs and i got some autolites double platinum with oil i go with royal purple ive been using it for every oil change ever since i got my explorer wich was like a year ago

NGK iridium plugs, castrol syntec 5w30

edit:
.....WTF, just looked at the original post date, a little too late :)

Back