• Register Today It's free!

Replace spark Plugs/ Tune Up

Dead_Goldstar

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
I was told my 2005 Ford Explorer Sport trac XLT has an aluminum block 4.0 engines and that the spark plugs if left to long could seize in the blocks spark plug seat. I have 134.000 when should I look at doing a tune up. The vehicles is running okay but want to ensure that the plugs don't seize in the block.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

owner's manual should have the maintenance schedule in it, if you don't have it, check the faq in the sticky section.

At that amount of KM's I would do the plugs. I did mine at about 115000 give or take.

If the plugs have never been changed, you're about 50k past due

Thanks for all the advise since I couldn't find out when they were done last had the tune up done it runs great now.

Well, 142K on the ST and decided to change plugs, wires and coil pack. Bought with 127K and figured it was time, as she has been feeling sluggish. Bought Autolite Double Platinum plugs (APP103) about $28, NGK Wire Set (Blue, Part# RC-FDZ080) about $42 and Accel Super Coil (140035) about $70. So about $140 in parts above OEM.

Have done alot of reading on changing plugs and since it appears to be a nightmare doing the passenger side, I decided to take care of that side first. All in all, it was not as bad as I had anticipated, but it did take me about 3 hours to do.

Jacked up the passenger side, took off tire, pulled back the mud flap, and did all three plugs from there. I pulled all the boots and re-routed the new wires where they belonged. Took out plugs, which were Motorcraft OEM platinum plugs. Other than having big hands and reaching in tight places, not too bad. You have to get creative in replacing the plugs, as they were easier getting out than putting back in.

Once done on Passenger side, put everything back and made sure no vacuum lines were accidentally pulled off. Now to driver side. I worked from above and once again, very tight (hands hurt now and have many scratches). A few plugs on driver side were extremely tight, but blew right through the driver side in comparison to passenger side, longest part was getting plugs back in. Actually found one of the plugs on this side had cracked ceramic. Again, easy to take off, harder to get back in. This time, changed wires as I changed the plugs. Ahhh, all done with plugs and wires.

Now for the Accel Super Coil. Probably the easiest part of the whole job. Unplug the stock coil pack and then remove the 4 torx screws. Pop in the new coil pack, make sure the top left hand ground is put back where it belongs and screw them all back in. Put the plug back into the coil pack and now plug in all the wires. It should be easy to figure out the order, i just memorized and placed the wires in a certain order to remind me where they go.

Make sure the plugs have Anti-Seize compound and the boots/wire set have dielectric (on both ends of wire set).

Well, connected battery, (crossed my fingers) :D and fired her up. Just so happens, I had to run and get my son from school, so took her for a drive. Wow, Guess what???? She feels new again, she is lively and has some oomf. Best 3 hours I spent. :chug:

I've seen several threads about "what spark plugs do I use?"... and I like the fact that you have listed what you used, ie - Autolite plugs, NGK wires and an Accel coil pack.

I too have done a lot of reading on the subject as to who makes quality stuff and what will work with my ST. First a little about mine:
2002 4WD with 137,000. I've changed the oil every 3-5K always with a quart of Lucal Oil - Oil Additive. Now it's way past time to get the plugs/wires/coil pack done.

I haven't heard anyone ask about what wires are good and what wires to stay away from. What to look for in a decent plug wire? So I will, what do you guys recommend?

I know this: I will use a platinum or iridium plug and an Accel coil pack, seems I'll probably get either an NGK/Standard/Accel wires. No mater which ones I do get i will get one that's worth getting, nut just the cheapest or the most expensive.

Thanks for your thoughts.(and this thread/site)

Motorcraft SP500 or Autolite 103 Series are the only ST replacements I've seen without one single issue.
I used the Taylor Cable Thundervolt 8.2 Series. They actually make the OEM Motorcraft wires and seem
to be a tried and proven combination with those plugs. Ford's recommended interval is 100K. Gap @ .054,
use a thin coat of anti seize on the threads and dielectric grease on both boot ends. Those plugs will be
installed a long time, do it right the first time. For easier access to the #3 plug, remove the right tire. GL

if you use the 4.6l spark plug socket, you can get to the whole pass side with out a problem from under the hood.

mjACE.jpg

Has anyone had problems/issues with NGK plugs or wires? I can order NGK from work and cant order the others.

NGK is a really good brand. i used them before in other vehicles i have owned

Has anyone had problems/issues with NGK plugs or wires? I can order NGK from work and cant order the others.
I've had NGK Iridiums in mine for about 24k now, no problems. Autolite Platinums from Wal-Mart are fine, they just didn't have the right ones when I went to buy them and NGK was all the parts store had that would fit my motor.

Check with Patriot Performance in Memphis, for wires and a coil pack. I got a screaming demon coil and live wires for the 4.0 Mustang. It gets the goodies first (wife's car), I have already put the Autolite plugs in the car. I will get the same set up for the ST though.

if you use the 4.6l spark plug socket, you can get to the whole pass side with out a problem from under the hood.

mjACE.jpg

Just curious how this makes the job easier? I've neglected my ST and after 124k miles, I think it's finally time to change the plugs and will happily spend a little more for a tool that makes the job easier.

Just curious how this makes the job easier? I've neglected my ST and after 124k miles, I think it's finally time to change the plugs and will happily spend a little more for a tool that makes the job easier.
that length and a ratchet. dont have have to go through the wheel wheel.

Any reason an extension wouldn't do the same thing?

Any reason an extension wouldn't do the same thing?

im going to guess a normal spark plug socket and a 3 inch extension + ratchet, i think its too long, this is shorter. its been a long time, why i do this not the socket/extension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where can we purchase the 4.6 socket? O'Reilly doesn't sell them, haven't been to Autozone yet. Dealer item maybe? Be handy for changing the plugs in the Mustang also.
Thanks

Back