• Register Today It's free!

Oil cooler elimiation

mike60510

Reaction score
City, State
Batavia, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountineer
I have a 1998 Mountineer with a 5.0 L V-8 and the all too common condition of the leaking oil cooler assembly. I'm interested in eliminating the oil cooler assembly and installing the oil filter housing without the cooling feature. I was able to get the filter housing from a later model car and was wondering if anyone can help. I not sure what year lower radiator hose and gasket assembly to order to make the modification.

Any information would be helpful.

A lower hose for an '99 thru '01 V8 Explorer or Mountaineer should do the trick for the rad hose. I'd get an oil filter adapter from the same genre.

Ford eliminated the oil cooling function of the filter adapter and stretched the adapter out a bit to make filter changes easier and less messy and I'd stick with the bits and pieces from Ford.

Thanks for he information on the radiator hose. I was able to source the filter adapter from someone in the forum. I'm wondering the best method for the adapter to the block mating surfaces. Is this an o-ring, gasket or permatex type material?

o-ring for both the adapter to block and the hollow bolt to the adapter.

I forget the size of them but they're standard fare for most seal and gasket retailers.

Back