Oil Leak between Tranny and engine | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Leak between Tranny and engine

Mine still leaks a little even after replacing the seals (there is a tsb on this issue) but not enough for me to add any extra oil between changes. So...no big deal .

It's funny, but the only one of mine that didn't leak was the one that had the most miles on it when i bought it, over 200k (the '00 XLT 5.0L). None of mine leak bad enough to leave a puddle on my driveway, or to have to add oil between changes, although our '00 Mountaineer now has begun leaking a bit from the passenger side valve cover and leaves a single dime sized drip overnight. I've been meaning to replace the valve cover gaskets, but haven't gotten around to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By seals I mean the rear main everything else is bone dry since the motor was rebuilt. But it's more of a small sweat than a leak.

Mine is bad enough that it leaves a couple of puddles and sprays along the entire drivers side of the car (on doors, rocker panels, etc.) when driven, and my paint is white

I have a similar issue that I'm unsure about. I have a 2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC. I have no puddles or fluids and nothing indicating any leaks. When I brought my explorer to a Ford dealership for an oil change, they said they could not do it because I have an oil leak and that the plug is stuck. They then said it would cost $3000 to fix. Any thoughts?

@XLTDave2000 - None of what you're saying the dealership told you makes any sense. If in fact the drain plug can't be removed (a bit hard to believe) the lower oil pan on the SOHC V6 can be removed/replaced very easily (especially if a 2WD). The lower pan is just a shallow stamped sheet metal pan, so I can't believe it would cost very much, even through Ford. On a 2WD the lower oil pan can be replaced in about 30 mins. On a 4WD it would take a bit longer, maybe a hour.

Here's an example of a brand new one for $25. Is says 2001-2009, but I'm pretty sure 98-2009 are all the same.
Oil Pan for 2001-2009 Ford Explorer 4.0L 6Cyl Engine SOHC, Lower Steel Black | eBay

Thanks. I knew they were full of ****. They tried to justify the price by saying that the transmission would have to be removed. I'l just change me oil myself and replace the oil pan. Thanks.

I had a similar problem with mine. Replacing the rear main seal did nothing. The oil leak was on the passengers side and not on the drivers. After further inspection, I noticed the oil filter adapter was leaking so I removed it. I then realized the o-rings were leaking so I replaced them. No more oil leak...

Back