• Register Today It's free!

Lowered today, seems off

slikirish

Reaction score
City, State
Dub Vee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Picked up my Ex from having H&R Explorer springs installed. The rear seems like it's sitting way up in the air. The front looks close compared to other pictures I've seen but even the front seems a bit high. The rear just seems to be very tall. I'm at my kid's soccer practice right now but I'm going to measure it this evening. Does this look right to you all for non-settled, just installed H&Rs?

D7675476-46C0-4B7D-A75D-419BB58F5CCF_zpshxqowi3p.jpg

90B09D66-3E24-4DCA-9E2D-C0789EBEB3E4_zpso7yaxcew.jpg

7BF4FA8A-6F57-40A5-989E-8EB996C0E5E5_zps4vagscyy.jpg

BFA895E2-E956-4D7F-ACB2-23DC0FFB4333_zpsdfdoh45o.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you measure before you had the new springs installed to see if there was a difference?

I don't have the befores. I'm gonna measure it later since others have measured theirs. What I do know is mine doesn't look anything like this.

EEA20D3C-D386-4092-9936-8899B941F486_zps6lb7ejlo.png

So measuring from the top of the center cap to the center of the wheel well, the front and rear measure as follows.

Front - 15.75 inches
Rear - 17.25 inches

An inch and a half difference seems like quite a bit when the vehicle is supposed to be level.

Does look off - maybe the springs are reversed? Fronts at rear, rear at front?

I don't know if that's possible. Not to mention that it was done at a ford dealership. Definitely something is wrong with it though.

I don't know if that's possible. Not to mention that it was done at a ford dealership. Definitely something is wrong with it though.

I can't speak for the measurements you provided since my truck isn't lowered. But looking at your pics, you might want to mimic the exact angles that Bstollmaier took his pics. Your pics seem a bit close to the ground (from the camera's perspective) so I can see how the gap looks larger.

After copying the angles and of course, waiting for the truck to settle more into the springs, you might have different results.

Hope this helps a little bit.

If all else fails, maybe send a PM to Bstollmaier and ask him for measurements? Also might want to find out if he has any heavy loads in the back to give you the impression that his rear is lower than yours...

I was going to give it about a month to settle and see where it ends up. He also has spacers which makes a difference in appearance as well. The truck definitely sits lower. There is no doubt about that. Just leveling issue.

Typically they settle in after the 1st week or so. Some times the spring is not twisted all the way in the pocket and that will resolve itself with time.

It is certainly getting better. The rear has set down a bit more. I haven't measured again, but I can by looking at it that it's sitting a little better. I can't imagine it's gonna pick up enough for the look I'm going for, but it's certainly better.

Back