• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure Gauge acting up

brianmc

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Howdy, not long ago everything was working fine and then next thing I know, I look down and my oil pressure gauge is pinging on L. I could hear it over the radio. Frantically, I look for the nearest gas station to pull over and take a look. Turns out, I can't find anything fishy. So I drive home diagnosing it as a questionable gauge, I wasn't far from home either. On idle, the gauge hovers perfectly in the normal range, around 1k it's fine. As the rpms increase the gauge starts to go haywire bouncing back and fourth. Around 2500 rpm the gauge is dancing between just before L and the lower end of the normal range. There's no strange engine noises, nothing out of the ordinary but this damn gauge going nuts. All other gauges are fine.

Could be a bad gauge, could be a bad pump, could be loose wiring, could be the sending unit?
Anyone had a smilar problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change your sending unit...

And the factory oil pressure gauge is a guesstimate anyway...As long as you have 7 psi the gauge reads normal...It is not to be depended on for accurate oil pressure readings...

I wouldn't drive it until you figure out why your gauge is saying you have no oil pressure.

on cold days mine stick on low drive 5 min and it is good to go i think i have a sticky sender

Back