On second new Gates idler pulley and still chirps! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On second new Gates idler pulley and still chirps!

shaker1

Reaction score
City, State
Algonquin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0
2006 4.0L. If I spray a little silicon into where the pulley meets the block it stops making noise for 5 minutes. Noisier when cold.

There is a little plastic bushing between the pulley and the bolt, which is the original piece. I am starting to suspect it is worn and allowing the pulley to "tilt" a tiny bit and contact the "lock" washer between the pulley and the block.

Has anyone run into this before? Solutions? Part name or number of this plastic bushing and/or the lock type washer for this assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep get a new belt

OK, thanks. Just to clarify, I am not getting silicon on the belt. I am using the red tube to spray behind the pulley. Still the belt though? No biggie either way, the belt is 13 years old w/ 83,000 miles. LOL

I guess I should pop for a tensioner too!

Double check the harmonic balancer isn't separating at the rubber. Common issue for belt squeeks on the 4.0 and goes unnoticed till everything around it gets replaced sometimes.

I'll do that. Thanks.

Also, I just ordered the Gates belt and tensioner to go with the new gates idler pulley I put on last month. I'll update if it solves the problem.

I had this issue. A belt and tensioner was the KO punch. However, I did this using non motor craft parts the first time and it didn’t fix it. I used OEM on the second try and it fixed it. Starting to feel like aftermarket belt parts are a no go on the 4L SOHC.

Great info, guys! Already ordered the Gates stuff from Rockauto. But, if it doesn't work...

According to my research the Gates K080860 is 86.648"
Dayco 5060860 is 86.680"
Motorcraft JK6865B is 86.625"
ACDELCO is 86.648"
All numbers in "total outside circumference".

I'll check the tensioner position and belt position on the idler too.

Good luck I went through all the belts testing for fitment the dayco was the best fit
Good luck

Great info, guys! Already ordered the Gates stuff from Rockauto. But, if it doesn't work...

According to my research the Gates K080860 is 86.648"
Dayco 5060860 is 86.680"
Motorcraft JK6865B is 86.625"
ACDELCO is 86.648"
All numbers in "total outside circumference".

I'll check the tensioner position and belt position on the idler too.
That’s interesting that all the aftermarket ones have a larger circumference on the outside. Might have something to do with why aftermarket ones chirped.

Some brands measure the outside of the belt some measure the inside
This is why it's tricky business

Some brands measure the outside of the belt some measure the inside
This is why it's tricky business
Yeah. What strikes me is how close they are though. I feel like an inside outside difference would be bigger than that

It is a surprise
But when you stretch them out next to each other the difference it noticeable

All good now. The annoying chirp that has been around for too long to admit, is finally gone.
Gates belt, tensioner and idler now and sounds like a new vehicle. Thanks for everyone's input.

If the advertised numbers are correct, the Gates is appx 1/44" longer than the OEM MC.
They matched up pretty close when compared side by side,
given the original may have stretched a little.
The tensioner is just past the halfway point when installed.

Yeeyeeee

Back