On the hunt to have "Delayed Accesories" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On the hunt to have "Delayed Accesories"

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Ive always like the delayed accesories feature, and ive always wondered about adding it somehow. Never really had a good idea until now.

My X'es windows still have power after the key has been turned off, until you open the door.

I thought why not find out what supplies the power to the windows still, tap into it with a relay and then the relay to the ignition harness.

My main reason for wanting this, is because I have one of Pioneers famous radios that have to boot up. I frequently turn the truck off, and the key back to still have the radio on while I wait and do whatever. Its annoying having to wait for my radio to boot up everytime. (And please dont chime in and tell me to get a new radio. I love mine and its the best one ive owned so far; this is its only downfall.)

Now the hunt....does anybody know how the "delayed window" feature works?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The radio in my '02 stays powered up until I open the door or until a certain amount of time has elapsed. Maybe your aftermarket radio doesn't have the wire that does this hooked up? Throwing it out there. :dunno:

The radio in my '02 stays powered up until I open the door or until a certain amount of time has elapsed. Maybe your aftermarket radio doesn't have the wire that does this hooked up? Throwing it out there. :dunno:

That started in the 3rd gens, the 2nd gens just power the windows.

Ive always like the delayed accesories feature, and ive always wondered about adding it somehow. Never really had a good idea until now.

My X'es windows still have power after the key has been turned off, until you open the door.

I thought why not find out what supplies the power to the windows still, tap into it with a relay and then the relay to the ignition harness.

My main reason for wanting this, is because I have one of Pioneers famous radios that have to boot up. I frequently turn the truck off, and the key back to still have the radio on while I wait and do whatever. Its annoying having to wait for my radio to boot up everytime. (And please dont chime in and tell me to get a new radio. I love mine and its the best one ive owned so far; this is its only downfall.)

Now the hunt....does anybody know how the "delayed window" feature works?

your radio is wired in wrong since stock radio will be on when the key is turned off for 15 min or till the door is open.

Not in 2nd gens

A look at the wiring diagram of the system in question would reveal how it's set up, but I suspect it's similar to the aftermarket/DIY wired versions of delay, which simply bypass the 'ignition power only' wires in favor of power directly from the battery/fuse panel, and then use the dome light/door ajar circuit to open the circuit/cut the power to the panel/relay or however it's done up. Not *too* hard to do, but it could get pretty complex depending on how many items you want affected and how many relays/switches are needed to get it doing what you want.

As for radios, many of the newer ones have this kind of circuitry built-in, so they power on anytime, with protection to either shut the unit off after an hour, or when voltage drops below a certain point. I have one of these and actually don't like it very much, since it seems to interfere with the other features like the clock and illumination, making it so you can either have the clock/illumination on all the time (annoying/dumb in a vehicle without full-time illuminated gauges), or have it all off all the time, essentially in standby mode (annoying since you get no clock display, and no illumination at night until the radio is powered on). I'd rather radios work like they used to, where the display shows the clock even when it's not on, and still illuminates the display and everything else when the lights are turned on.

Back