One of those "I'm Gonna get a can of gas and a match..." problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One of those "I'm Gonna get a can of gas and a match..." problems

First off let me say how valuable your site has been for me. I thought I would share a story of epic proportions....

I found a 97 Mountaineer that was in fairly decent shape at my local Junk yard. It ran well and didn't seem to leak anything at all. Only problem was the check engine light was lit.... I had a friend run his diagnostic machine on it and it said the O2 sensors were bad. No big deal, after all the truck has 193k on it. So I bounced on down to my local parts store for new sensors....and found out the damn thing had 4 of em on it....at 40 dollars a pop.....oh well small expense compared to the deal I was getting on the truck. That was until I got the truck up and found out just how much a pain in the butt replacing them was....Day and a half later and some crafty saws-all wofk and the new ones were in. Fired her up went down the road and....CHECK ENGINE.:confused:.

Off to my buddy's computer again...same code.....

"Maybe the PCM is going on it", he said.

OK...new PCM.....

CHECK ENGINE.......again....same code....again.....

Off to my local Ford dealership....(musta smoke too much crack that day)....

100 Dollars later....thier diagnostic sez I have some bad wiring or a loose connection at the O2 sensor connectors and of course they offer their services to which I kindly refuse with some serious vulgarity....

Back home....volt meter time. 4 Hours and all connections check out....:(

Talk to my father who builds muscle cars......

Change out those Cherry Bomb mufflers he sez....they have a tendency to eat O2 sensors up....And your truck is "California Emissions Standard" so it may not be reading correctly with those pipes on it....

Quick Translation: California Emissions=Triple the cost of catalytic converters and other emissions systems on any vehicle

200.00 Dollars on an OEM muffler half a day ripping exhaust out new one in....replace the tail pipe...all nice and shiny...:D

Down the road....sun shinin, birds singing, all is right with the world.....and

CHECK ENGINE.......

Now I dont think anyone here would like to read the amount of expletives that started to erupt from my mouth....Although the guy in the car next to me at the light was probably wondering if I had missed my medication that day....

Back home....make some more calls...get on the internet....I find out that "Universal" O2 sensors and Ford 302 Computers don't like to talk to each other. Nice eh?:mad:

More money on 4 new OEM sensors.....by now I can tear the exhaust sytem apart like it was on Velcro......slap her back together.

CHECK ENGINE......

Sigh.....Now I'm obsessed...What is this gremlin that vexes my existence? What demon of Ford has possessed this seemingly innocent vehicle that would have been condemned to the crusher. For some reason the cartoon of the singing frog springs to mind.....and why he was in the concrete box buried long ago.....With a new found fervor i start chasing every piece of wire that even has a remote connection to the emissions system. Which lead me to the fuse box compartment in the engine....

and a 10 amp fuse for the HEGO System...which is blown.....

The spectacle that ensued will probably have my neighbors telling their kids stories of that strange man next door who was yelling and screaming and jumping up and down on a small piece of yellow plastic....I imagine I had the appearance of Yosemite Sam jumping up and down on his hat....

I replace the fuse start the truck up....no code...no little CHECK ENGINE light glaring at me with it's amber colored evilness. Time to get it inspected and legal.......

To find out that some one has taking the entire parking brake assembly out of the rear and in NY it won't pass inspection......sigh oh well at least its not electrical....and thats a story for another time....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:eek: Sounds like the story of my life right there. :p: Glad it was you and not me! :D :)

:censored::censored::rant::rant::splat::banghead: sorry to hear about it but that was a funny writeup..... just goes to show ya K.I.S.S.

To find out that some one has taking the entire parking brake assembly out of the rear and in NY it won't pass inspection......sigh oh well at least its not electrical....and thats a story for another time....

How the hell did whoever notice the entire assembly is out? Is the cable just hanging there or something?

Here in NC you just have to know what shop to go to. My last inspection consisted of them scraping the old sticker off and putting a new one on (completely illegal but whatever).

How the hell did whoever notice the entire assembly is out? Is the cable just hanging there or something?

Here in NC you just have to know what shop to go to. My last inspection consisted of them scraping the old sticker off and putting a new one on (completely illegal but whatever).
Here we have only a smog test every other year on cars over 5 years old. The only inspections are on vehicles coming in from other states, and at those the state patrol checks only the vin#s, no safety checks of any kind.

It sounds like the dealer had the right diagnosis, bad wiring or a loose connection, though they would probably have charged you $100 to find that bad fuse.

Holy hell...that is hilarious. Sorry you had to go through all of that, but thanks for the laugh. :chug:

No they Actually tested the parking brake...and yeah the cable was just hanging there...I'd like to find the little Ford Engineer who came up with the concept of "Drum in Rotor" parking brakes.......and beat them with a whiffle ball bat.....what a pain in the ass...You practically have to take the axels out to put the sumabitches in......

I'd like to find the little Ford Engineer who came up with the concept of "Drum in Rotor" parking brakes.......and beat them with a whiffle ball bat.....

That almost cost me a keyboard.. on a laptop... (spewing coffee).

:eek::D

Actually I'd like to take that piece-o-crap Hayes manual that I bought and beat them with that....What ever happened to the old Chiltons manuals that told you how to take the whole vehicle apart bolt by bolt?...So what if it took 2 men and a boy to pick one up?....These new shop manuals at the parts stores blow.....

If I have to read "Take it to your dealer for testing or fixing..." once more...

I am going to go all Micheal Douglas in "Falling Down"....

Ask a Ford Mechanic where you can get a tech manual for your vehicle and suddenly he turns into Gollum muttering about "his precious...."

Anyway I digress.....

What ever happened to the old Chiltons manuals..........

Ask a Ford Mechanic where you can get a tech manual for your vehicle and suddenly he turns into Gollum muttering about "his precious...."

Anyway I digress.....

Remember Motors Manuals, and cursing Chiltons occasionally?
I tried a early buick v6 oil pump out of a Chiltons and I got hosed. Still have that book too.

Much the same problems with motorcycle manuals
You'd think they'd get it right for them big ol' biker dudes. :salute:

The only thing chiltons, haynes, or any of those "DIY" maunals are good for is TP or for smacking large bugs. Go on ebay, and get one of those Ford manual cd's with the real Ford manual, you'll never believe how much better it is. There's a reason the ford tech guards it well.

Now I don't want to offend anyone, I just want to show you where you went wrong so you don't go crazy in the future, It looks like your buddy is a "parts changer"... meaning he just tries replacing everything, without looking at it logically.

Like in this case, the code means there is no O2 signal, not the sensor is bad (it's not just him, everybody does it... "I have a code for x.. part, o well then x.. part is bad".) This applies to basically ANY codes related to any part, always check if it gets its needed inputs and then test its output before calling it the culprit. Also, it's highly unlikely that there will be a mass failure of all the sensors at once, so first place to look would be for something related to all of them... like their power supply.

I CANT BELIEVE even FORD did not find the bad fuse... so shame on them... this is why I learned to do it myself, I was once a parts changer too when I didn't know any better...

Get the manual, I think its essential for electrical troubleshooting. Everything gets much easier when you have a nice list of tests to try.

That was a good read...I enjoyed it alot!....Every once in a great while, these ultra complex, sensor ridden, computer controlled vehicles act just like the 1966 Dodge Dart GT that I had as a kid......if it doesn't work......check the fuse.....and THAT is why I carried a few of the little boxes with them in there...

Congrats on finally getting it fixed....but WOW that was an expensive fuse to find!

Ryan

very good read.. so sorry u had all the trouble and i do agree with jason... glad it was u not me.. lol.. but anyway yes u should always find the reason for malfunction, even if the part is truly bad find out why just to make sure that if u spend the money and time to replace it, it wont just go bad again.. and also if i have learned anything from my truck its that the code you get usually is not the whole problem.. i have currently 8 codes in my cel.. i know what they say but its not true for lack of better explanation... like i habe 2 running lean codes 3 misfire codes 2 o2 codes that are all related to the same issue... its not that all that stuff is truly bad its just that something in line beofre all of it has gone bad and its triggering the o2s to read improperly which causes the engine to run lean which in turn is causing it to miss.. so just keep that in ind next time it comes on, cuz it will .... also be ware that there are things that will mislead you even with that info.l. like all my codes together i researched and decided it was my maf sensor.. which if u read on here is very common, although i spent the 110 and rplaced it and guess wat... not it.. its really my upper and lower intake manifold gaskets need replacing... so just be careful and dont always listen to the cel.. always do intense diag first cuz ull e suprised how wrong or decieving it can be at times.... but o well good luck with her and be well!!

Woo-Hoo! passed inspection
stickers.jpg

Thought you might like to see the junk yard wonder...
frontmountaineer.jpg

sidemounty.jpg

yeah i gotta replace the hatch...this was an emergency substitution due to the fact that the bottom was rusted so bad and the shock pegs were gone...my wife can lift the gate without em and the other one already bit me when the broom handle slipped. The third brake light (f'n LEDs) didn't work even after i swapped out that converter...even though it was getting power. So I redneck engineered a trailer ligh and stuck to the window...hey it works...

backmounty.jpg

And here is how bad New York sticks it up your arse in registration costs...

price.jpg

Yes I bring lube with me to the DMV. It still doesn't help with that 80 grit sandpaper condom the state like to bend you over and bang you with....

That third brake light is neon not LED. There is a thread somewhere on how to rebuild it with LED's, I did it recently.

Holy **** it costs too much to register a ####ing vehicle up there. Its $28 for registration in NC and a $10 inspection ($30 inspection if you live in a county with a big city and have OBD II).

I was bored enough to run a carfax since you posted the vin. Either their **** is wrong or owner #2 had some strange driving habits. Your truck was registered with 39,358 miles on 2/23/00, 118,002 miles on 12/24/02, 118,495 miles on 6/3/04 and 182,832 miles on 3/30/07

Hmm, threads like this make me keep my old dodge diesel tow rig. No electronics, no emissions and no inspections... Even in the 'burbs of Chicago!

Good to know you got it taken care of though

I was bored enough to run a carfax since you posted the vin. Either their **** is wrong or owner #2 had some strange driving habits. Your truck was registered with 39,358 miles on 2/23/00, 118,002 miles on 12/24/02, 118,495 miles on 6/3/04 and 182,832 miles on 3/30/07

Not uncommon up around these parts. We are spread out a ways. It was prolly a fleet truck for a business....I put over 1800 miles in in 3 weeks driving it around.....

I believe that the fee includes new tag fee and other fees. Renewal should only cost $50 for 2 years. At least NY doesn't hit you with a property tax on your vehicle like some states do: CT, VA, & HI that I know of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why was the vehicle in the wreckers in the first place?

Back