One of those "I'm Gonna get a can of gas and a match..." problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One of those "I'm Gonna get a can of gas and a match..." problems

First off let me say how valuable your site has been for me. I thought I would share a story of epic proportions....

I found a 97 Mountaineer that was in fairly decent shape at my local Junk yard. It ran well and didn't seem to leak anything at all. Only problem was the check engine light was lit.... I had a friend run his diagnostic machine on it and it said the O2 sensors were bad. No big deal, after all the truck has 193k on it. So I bounced on down to my local parts store for new sensors....and found out the damn thing had 4 of em on it....at 40 dollars a pop.....oh well small expense compared to the deal I was getting on the truck. That was until I got the truck up and found out just how much a pain in the butt replacing them was....Day and a half later and some crafty saws-all wofk and the new ones were in. Fired her up went down the road and....CHECK ENGINE.:confused:.

Off to my buddy's computer again...same code.....

"Maybe the PCM is going on it", he said.

OK...new PCM.....

CHECK ENGINE.......again....same code....again.....

Off to my local Ford dealership....(musta smoke too much crack that day)....

100 Dollars later....thier diagnostic sez I have some bad wiring or a loose connection at the O2 sensor connectors and of course they offer their services to which I kindly refuse with some serious vulgarity....

Back home....volt meter time. 4 Hours and all connections check out....:(

Talk to my father who builds muscle cars......

Change out those Cherry Bomb mufflers he sez....they have a tendency to eat O2 sensors up....And your truck is "California Emissions Standard" so it may not be reading correctly with those pipes on it....

Quick Translation: California Emissions=Triple the cost of catalytic converters and other emissions systems on any vehicle

200.00 Dollars on an OEM muffler half a day ripping exhaust out new one in....replace the tail pipe...all nice and shiny...:D

Down the road....sun shinin, birds singing, all is right with the world.....and

CHECK ENGINE.......

Now I dont think anyone here would like to read the amount of expletives that started to erupt from my mouth....Although the guy in the car next to me at the light was probably wondering if I had missed my medication that day....

Back home....make some more calls...get on the internet....I find out that "Universal" O2 sensors and Ford 302 Computers don't like to talk to each other. Nice eh?:mad:

More money on 4 new OEM sensors.....by now I can tear the exhaust sytem apart like it was on Velcro......slap her back together.

CHECK ENGINE......

Sigh.....Now I'm obsessed...What is this gremlin that vexes my existence? What demon of Ford has possessed this seemingly innocent vehicle that would have been condemned to the crusher. For some reason the cartoon of the singing frog springs to mind.....and why he was in the concrete box buried long ago.....With a new found fervor i start chasing every piece of wire that even has a remote connection to the emissions system. Which lead me to the fuse box compartment in the engine....

and a 10 amp fuse for the HEGO System...which is blown.....

The spectacle that ensued will probably have my neighbors telling their kids stories of that strange man next door who was yelling and screaming and jumping up and down on a small piece of yellow plastic....I imagine I had the appearance of Yosemite Sam jumping up and down on his hat....

I replace the fuse start the truck up....no code...no little CHECK ENGINE light glaring at me with it's amber colored evilness. Time to get it inspected and legal.......

To find out that some one has taking the entire parking brake assembly out of the rear and in NY it won't pass inspection......sigh oh well at least its not electrical....and thats a story for another time....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dunno my guy gets em here and there....and fixes the good ones up to resell. Ive gotten 2 vehicles from him and outt of all the cars i've owned his seemed to be the best. My Ranger has over 175k on the ticker and doesn't leak a drop of oil. It needed new brakes and suspension mounts that was it...runs like a champ....To bad that turkey (and yes I mean the bird) hit took the front grill out..but she'll taste good on the supper table...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn I feel sorry for you paying that much a year. Here in TN we don't have emissions testing or any other testing. We just pay our $28.00 a year and drive. Maybe this is the reason behin all the muffler laying on the side of the road. I dunno.

Registration is good for 2 years up here. Still sucks. Sad part is in NY you have to pay state tax on any vehicle no matter haow many times it been registered. So if a car has been bought and sold 10 times the state collects tax on the sale each and everytime. Not to mention tire disposal fees.....it ain't easy being green....thats why I cut the damn cats off most of my vehicles....They just have to be in place for inspection purposes...Thank gawd for flex pipe.

Oh and on a side note as I found out when my insurance company didn't send me a renewal notice and my insurance elapsed. The wonderful NY State Troopers have these new rigs on their cars that read plate numbers on the fly and run the number through the DMV instantaneously....and bam...ticket, tags confiscated and towed. Cost me about 1500.00 in fines court fees and towing. Got my self a new insurance company and don't do the auto deduct thing. Worst thing is the cameras on the roof of the cars dont emit any radiation so radar detectors wont pic em up. This setupo cost the state 50k a piece per car....but the dept of homeland security subsidizes it due to our proximity to Montreal....lottsa midle-eastern terrorist commin outta French Quebec I guess.
march2007leb_img_5.jpg

I saw a show on TV about those cameras. Pretty neat technology. They just scan parking lots looking for reasons to tow or give tickets. Bastige's!! And dam at the amount of Salt they must use on the icy roads up there.

Woo-Hoo! passed inspection
And here is how bad New York sticks it up your arse in registration costs...

price.jpg

Yes I bring lube with me to the DMV. It still doesn't help with that 80 grit sandpaper condom the state like to bend you over and bang you with....

HAHAHA sorry that is nothing, i just got my notice in the mail this morning i ow $196.00 big ones :) I love living in California.

I saw a show on TV about those cameras. Pretty neat technology. They just scan parking lots looking for reasons to tow or give tickets. Bastige's!! And dam at the amount of Salt they must use on the icy roads up there.

Well they gotta pay our trooper a 6 figure salary...how are they gonna do it?....Hmmmm

And we have snow on the ground now....

Well they gotta pay our trooper a 6 figure salary...how are they gonna do it?....Hmmmm

And we have snow on the ground now....

Another great thing we have in upstate NY is rust. The brake lines on my ex took a crap and leaked. They must salt with a vengeance up where you are. At your mileage I bet they are ready to pop any day. Does your county have an extra surcharge for registration? I don't remember mine but yours seems a bit high.

They use the cameras for auto theft purposes. Those cameras can basically read about 100 license plates and find out if its stolen or suspended in the time it takes a human to do 5 plates. They are really big here in Baltimore city and down south in PG county. Supposedly it has increased the amount of stolen cars recovered dramatically.

At your mileage I bet they are ready to pop any day. Does your county have an extra surcharge for registration? I don't remember mine but yours seems a bit high.

Yeah we have a surcharge for sumptin or other....I forget which one it is for these...I think it's for the tire disposal. Which you pay for when you get new tires, pay for when you register, and pay for when you buy the vehicle from a dealer.

As far as brake lines go...all new one of the first things I had done to it aside from that whole emissions thing. Along with a liberal amount of under coating.

Back