Overdrive light flashing ('95 Exp. Eddie Bauer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive light flashing ('95 Exp. Eddie Bauer)

12beemer34

Reaction score
City, State
Bolton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
The O/D OFF light started flashing this morning. As soon as I started the engine the light began to flash...while the transmission was still in park. It was a bit cool overnight, with lots of condensation. Could there be a wet connection somewhere? Never had a trans problem before. Always shifted just fine and it was perfect last night when I put it to sleep.

I took it for a short drive to test it out. Everything seems fine except the 2nd to 1st downshift (when stopping) is a little hard and seems to kick in the ABS for about 1/4 second when it downshifts. Other than that there's no obvious problems. Putting the trans into neutral just before the 2nd-1st downshift and then back into gear seems to work fine.

What would make the light suddenly start flashing before even driving it?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Sasha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing you would need to do is check to see if there are any stored codes, that will narrow down the problem (if in fact there is a problem).

Don't drive the truck around with the OD light flashing, this puts the system in "limp home" mode and increases the internal trans. pressure to max, that is why you are feeling the shift/downshift difference, which could cause seal blowouts and other bad things to happen, making things worse if, again, there is a problem.

I only say 'IF" because I have a '95, and after blowing up a rebuilt tranny pretty good, I had a custom build done up, and I had a few problems with erroneous codes and lights, only to find out that my PCM was on it's way out.

After getting a new PCM, the erroneous codes and problems have disappeared.

So your tranny may be fine, but you must check the codes first before doing anything else.

For information on how to proceed to pull codes on the 95, check out this link, and the info it has. All you need to know to do it yourself.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll keep it on file for future use.

I ended up pulling the battery for about an hour yesterday. After reconnecting it the O/D light stayed off so I went for a test drive. All gears shift normally and very smooth. The O/D operated properly and all up-shifts and down-shifts were normal. It's as if nothing ever happened. I also checked (before the test drive) and found no fluid loss or cross contamination either (I've read where some people had coolant and trans fluid cross contamination).

I just took it out for about 1/2 hour this morning and had no problems. Very strange!

Again, thanks for the reply.

Sasha

...Don't disconnect the battery if it comes back...
I figured that it might have been an erroneous code because it didn't start flashing after driving for a bit...it just started flashing immediately after startup before I even put it in gear. I read a few threads where people had erroneous codes that they cleared by pulling the battery and the error never came back. I figured that if there was a factual issue it would reappear again right away, or at the very least after driving it for a bit. So far I've driven about 3 hours on it with no problems at all.

If it returns I'll pull the codes right away and not do any driving until I figure out what the problem is.

Thanks,
Sasha

I'm very curious to know what version and calibration the PCM is in your truck... There is a TSB for the 95's that designates an updated PCM to correct "problems" with erroneous codes being thrown and "problems" in the shift timings or "shift schedules", in other words, the damn things have known hardware and/or programming issues.

If your PCM is either: F5TF-12A650-ARC or F5TF-12A650-ATC with calibration code 5-58B-R10, then you have one of the problem PCM's and should maybe look into getting the updated PCM (F5PF-BRV, calibration code is the same) if it keeps acting up.

I scored a Ford reman for $50, so the PCM isn't expensive if you look around. Worst case is $100, and that's a small price to pay to prevent problems down the road.

I'm very curious to know what version and calibration the PCM is in your truck...
If your PCM is either: F5TF-12A650-ARC or F5TF-12A650-ATC with calibration code 5-58B-R10, then you have one of the problem PCM's...
Do I have to remove the PCM to get the code or is it accessible after unplugging the connector on the firewall?

You should be able to read it without unplugging or removing the PCM. There should be a white sticker right on the connector. You might have to wipe it off to see, as this is a place a lot of dust and grime likes to settle.

Thanks, I just checked and found that the code # is actually molded directly into the plastic connector on my truck. It's F57T 12B523 AC PPGF 10, so I guess I don't have one of the faulty PCM's.

I'll just have to wait and see if it acts up again.

Thanks.

eeeek the dreaded flashing O/D light...its never good news...i had to get my tranny rebuilt...

Yep same thing here. Light flashed then stopped then started again a week later then BOOM tranny dropped all fluid and busted the bell housing. $2100.00 later all is well again. DO NOT drive it take it to a tranny shop and get it checked!!!!!

I also had to have the transmission rebuilt on my 2000 XLT after the O/D light flashed and I limped home. It happened at about 90,000 miles. A hard 90,000 miles, I pulled a 26' travel trailer with it before getting a bigger tow vehicle. Still have the Explorer, it's an everyday driver.

My wife had the flashing light on her 96 XLT. Had to get a new (rebuilt) transfer case.

Back