• Register Today It's free!

Overhead Console

Camacorn

Reaction score
City, State
Inverness, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0 H.O.
I was at the junkyard and found a second gen. Explorer with what looks to be show room, off the lot clean interior, like it was never even breathed on. I took the overhead console, and RAPS module ( my Mountaineer's was missing ), and I'm going back Saturday to get some other misc. interior parts, probably the full length center console.

Anyway, I figured I'd just post here showing what I had done for the day, I wired up the map lights, and dome light. Tomorrow I'm going to install the ambient temperature sensor, and hook up the thermometer/compass.

I'm going to get some color-coded willow green interior paint and paint it green, or just keep the tan, because in person the tan on green does not look that bad.

The structure behind the headliner already had the cut-outs for the clips, and holes drilled for the mounting screws, all I actually had to do was cut out a section of the headliner, and run some wiring to my dome light, and visor mirror lamps.

7sNVlyEl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done the same install, it's quite fun when you're done. Make sure to calibrate the compass too.
You can add an auto lamps mirror if you want as well.

To be honest though, don't add a RAP module into it. It's a pain to wire up and get working like factory. An aftermarket alarm works better and is easier to hook up.

Edit:

I looked at your registry, you've basically got an XL Mounty.

Here's my challenge to you. Get a nice long console and put it in. Here's my guide for it, really cleans up the interior look:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393003

I'm going to get some color-coded willow green interior paint and paint it green, or just keep the tan, because in person the tan on green does not look that bad.

Good luck finding paint to match the OEM Willow Green interior. I have looked on and off for years. If you have luck, please PM me. There are others that are interested also.

Maybe consider painting it black that matches the black portions...

I've done the same install, it's quite fun when you're done. Make sure to calibrate the compass too.

To be honest though, don't add a RAP module into it. It's a pain to wire up and get working like factory. An aftermarket alarm works better and is easier to hook up.

Edit:

Here's my challenge to you. Get a nice long console and put it in. Here's my guide for it, really cleans up the interior look:

I was looking to put a full-length console actually, haha. Plan on looking at pricing tomorrow at the junk yard. My problem is, there are next to no Willow Green interiors anywhere...But there is a mint condition full length tan console, and the tan on green doesn't look half bad to be ( sort of nature colors )...I could paint it, but I'm not a huge fan of the thought of 'painting' my interior.

I'm having trouble with the overhead console, I'm pretty sure it's just a bad temperature sensor, because i'm 100% sure I put all the wires in the right place ( Really good at electrical ), but my overhead console is reading ICE -40f, and doesn't change at all. I calibrated the compass and it works fine, but I want the temperature to work as its the main reason I wanted to do this install ( other than being bored and having fun with electrical )...Any ideas?

1aJRnZfl.jpg

autolamp mirror

at least in my 95, the relay was already there - tap the power in the overhead console - just a couple of other wires that are easy to hide - be sure to get the plug from the harness with the mirror

I snagged an auto-lamp mirror when I snagged the console, but it's dead :/ Have to snag a different one.

did you put in a new temp sensor?

in my 95, i think its only used for the console and located front under the radiator - in that area

mine is off a few degrees and i need to change it out - or clean it maybe

did you put in a new temp sensor?

in my 95, i think its only used for the console and located front under the radiator - in that area

mine is off a few degrees and i need to change it out - or clean it maybe

Not yet, going to grab a new temperature sensor tomorrow.

You hooked up the wires backwards and then fried the sensor.
They have to be hooked up correctly the first time, or good bye sensor.
-40 is it's default to 'fail' mode.
I saw mine at -30 in reality before. :(

You hooked up the wires backwards and then fried the sensor.
They have to be hooked up correctly the first time, or good bye sensor.
-40 is it's default to 'fail' mode.
I saw mine at -30 in reality before. :(

But I didn't, I spliced the Blue/Yellow to Blue/Yellow, and Blue/White to Blue/White.

I found an Explorer with Willow Green interior today!! Took the Willow Green overhead console, two temp. sensors, a new auto-dimming mirror, and some small little parts my interior was missing, I'm like a kid in a candy store!

EwdrhTnl.jpg

That's how I am at scrap yards. :)

That's how I am at scrap yards. :)

I love it, my local junkyard has without exaggeration, about 90 Ford Explorers/Mountaineers from 1991-2005, 95% of which are second generation. But I couldn't find any with Willow Green interior, I kept walking by this one Explorer that was in a different section, and every time I was like "I bet the only one I'm not looking in has my Willow Green interior." but never looked, I finally looked today and SURE ENOUGH, Willow Green. I grabbed some small stuff like an OBDII connector cover, seatbelt hinge cover, driver side power seat cover since mine was gray from a power seat conversion, and of course this overhead console.

If anyone ever needs parts for an Explorer, let me know, I've got a huge selection of Explorers at the yard to choose from, 1st and 2nd gen limiteds, edie bauers, etc.

Edit:

Your post convinced me not to do the RAP module, but today I was really bored and decided to give it a go. I chose to place the RAP module under the dashboard near the fuse panel, so that the wires didn't have to be ran all the way to the back of the vehicle, used less than half the wiring I would if I put it in the original spot. I just used wire clamps, and tapped all the wires into the vehicles wiring harness under the dash.

End result, works great!

7Y5VvAWl.jpg
ZdovCKbl.jpg

Yeah, it's not too bad on pre 97 since there's not chip keys. After 97, you have to deal with all that fun stuff.

That fob looks out dated though, I think you grabbed an old one.

Yeah, it's not too bad on pre 97 since there's not chip keys. After 97, you have to deal with all that fun stuff.

That fob looks out dated though, I think you grabbed an old one.

Yeah, I grabbed it simply because the fob happened to be in the ignition of the explorer I got the RAP out of. What's the newer one look like?

Yeah, I grabbed it simply because the fob happened to be in the ignition of the explorer I got the RAP out of. What's the newer one look like?

ford-explorer-key-fob-clicker-300x289.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any Ford from like 95-2008, lol.

Back