Overhead Console | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overhead Console

Any Ford from like 95-2008, lol.

Isn't the RAP supposed to make the alarm sound if the door is opened without being unlocked first? Because it doesn't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes.. if you hooked up all the door trigger wires.

Yes.. if you hooked up all the door trigger wires.

I followed this tutorial, and it stated these two pins should be hooked to the GEM:

b49a576dfc.png

I know that the door trigger wire is BLACK/ LIGHT BLUE, but the LIGHT BLUE/ WHITE "door ajar" wire sounds like it should do the same thing, am I wrong? The tutorial says nothing about hooking up a door trigger wire, but I know how if it's necessary.

PS: Thank's for your help, and give a shout out to my friend in Toronto, Ontario, CA. Never been, but I've got some good friends up in Toronto, and Montreal.

I followed this tutorial, and it stated these two pins should be hooked to the GEM:

b49a576dfc.png

I know that the door trigger wire is BLACK/ LIGHT BLUE, but the LIGHT BLUE/ WHITE "door ajar" wire sounds like it should do the same thing, am I wrong? The tutorial says nothing about hooking up a door trigger wire, but I know how if it's necessary.

PS: Thank's for your help, and give a shout out to my friend in Toronto, Ontario, CA. Never been, but I've got some good friends up in Toronto, and Montreal.

Aha, where abouts in Toronto is your friend. And, I'm speaking from aftermarket alarm wiring experiences. Usually I use the dome light wire for door trigger on Fords.
The one you hooked up SHOULD work. Check with a multimeter that it's sending out a voltage and that pin in your GEM.

Aha, where abouts in Toronto is your friend. And, I'm speaking from aftermarket alarm wiring experiences. Usually I use the dome light wire for door trigger on Fords.
The one you hooked up SHOULD work. Check with a multimeter that it's sending out a voltage and that pin in your GEM.

I forget where exactly he said he lived. The dome light trigger is a pretty good idea, and would be super easy for me as I could just tap into the LED's under my dashboard, as they are wired to the dome as well. ( I have white LED strips that light up the floor board in the front and back seats at night, VERY useful, figured white wouldn't look ghetto like most others )

imgXYs6l.jpg

( Old Picture )

Before I do so, I will go ahead and check the GEM wiring though.

Thanks!

I have a set of green LED strips I acquired.. I don't know what I want to do with them yet.
I'm thinking, wire them under the running board so they turn on when the door is open.

My truck is green so it shouldn't look toooooo tacky..

thinking out loud here

i installed a viper in my ford - and created a web site on my verizon account that detailed ALL the rap module wires - that web site went away - i have the ford cd for my 95 but since i am windows 7 64 bit now, i can't read the cd - so this is rambling from memory

i think the door ajar prevents the alarm from arming if a door IS ajar

as best i recall, a viper connects to (in ford speak) any courtesy light to trigger the alarm - viper speak is 'dome light supervision' - because the dome (and several others) have power when the door is open

seems to me there are some wires missing from that pinout - thought there was an 'arm' and 'disarm' wire - those are used when you use the keypad to unlock or lock the doors - and MAYBE it disarms when you use the key to unlock the door - i am guessing that pin 9 is involved with that

the viper arms and disarms the factory alarm, so i know there is a connection on that rap module for that - i recall that viper can send one or two pulses on the disarm wire and i had to program that

i suppose with the key fob, the receiver is in the rap so that would arm/disarm the alarm - and it sounds like you know that the alarm is arming (i'd see if it is sending out power to that 'theft' light - that means armed)

but yes, if you open the door when its armed, the horn sounds and parking lights flash - it also has some kinda power disconnect for the starter

are you SURE its arming from the fob?

your footwell lights look good - i added some to mine front and back

and a few other places

i don't have 'puddle lights' - got some bolt mount leds and plan to some day.....

i did put some bolt led lights on the bottom of my front doors - drilled a hole and tapped the courtesy light wires that are already inside the doors - the back doors don't have those lights and i'll have to get wires through those rubber boots in the hinge area - and that seems like real work so...

http://www.oznium.com/led-bolt

put some in the door openers inside the car - power is already there for the window and lock buttons so that is an easy one - you won't mistake it for a benz s class but for a 20 year old ford, not so bad

i played with rgb leds - i have that willow green interior too - thought maybe i'd power the leads to make it green but it looked funky - so i powered all 3 leads and made it white light - except for the one i mounted behind the ask tray - it had one of those blue/green/teal/seafoam/whatever gel covers on the bulb - that disintegrated - so i did the green for the ash tray (this is the full console ash tray - it has a little window to illuminate the recepticle - which is always dim so the color works) - so i think you are right - white works inside these green interiors

gonna put one at the top of the kleenex opening - no easy way to put one in the cupholders

love these led lights - cheap - very little power so you can tap these small wires without overloading them - lots of light - and easy to install

whooda thought ambient lighting in our 20 year old fords and the 5 year old fords go without...

your footwell lights look good - i added some to mine front and back

and a few other places

i don't have 'puddle lights' - got some bolt mount leds and plan to some day.....

i did put some bolt led lights on the bottom of my front doors - drilled a hole and tapped the courtesy light wires that are already inside the doors - the back doors don't have those lights and i'll have to get wires through those rubber boots in the hinge area - and that seems like real work so...

http://www.oznium.com/led-bolt

put some in the door openers inside the car - power is already there for the window and lock buttons so that is an easy one - you won't mistake it for a benz s class but for a 20 year old ford, not so bad

i played with rgb leds - i have that willow green interior too - thought maybe i'd power the leads to make it green but it looked funky - so i powered all 3 leads and made it white light - except for the one i mounted behind the ask tray - it had one of those blue/green/teal/seafoam/whatever gel covers on the bulb - that disintegrated - so i did the green for the ash tray (this is the full console ash tray - it has a little window to illuminate the recepticle - which is always dim so the color works) - so i think you are right - white works inside these green interiors

gonna put one at the top of the kleenex opening - no easy way to put one in the cupholders

love these led lights - cheap - very little power so you can tap these small wires without overloading them - lots of light - and easy to install

whooda thought ambient lighting in our 20 year old fords and the 5 year old fords go without...

Which pin on the RAP do I have to wire to the dome lights to cause the horn to sound when a door is opened?

I am sure it is arming when I use the FOB, as the horn beeps once, and the parking lights flash when I press it twice.

And yeah, I love the look of the LED lighting, going to eventually convert every bulb to LED, but that takes $$$ :p

Back