Owners of X's with 31x10.50 tires with NO LIFTs | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Owners of X's with 31x10.50 tires with NO LIFTs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK guys. I know its been answered that 31x10.5x15 tires will fit on the stock 15x7 rims with no rubbing with no lifts of any kind. Now my question. With a 3.55 open am I going to have worse on or off road performance with the 31's if i cant turn them on hills, sand or mud as easy as a 30? Im thinking maybe the 30x9.5s are better because i will be able to turn them but i do not know much. Let me know what you guys think. I just want tires. No regear bc $500 is a little costly right now and i only do some offroading, nothing crazy and i cant justify the $$$$$ spent. Thanks a lot this is a great site. And if it matters im talking about the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

2x4 or 4x4? yes you lose a small amount of power but not enough to hurt performance. Give you a little height anyways so it makes up for any power loss. In low you can easily turn em.

I have a 96 xlt 4x2 v6 and I wanna get the 31x10.5's I just wanted to make sure I wont have any problems such as with the gears...someone let me know by tonite if possible....I just basicly wanna know if i will loose power? and mpg?

BFG Radial Long Trail T/A

Okay, I know most of you folks are recommending BFG AT's 31X10.5 on 15inch rims but does anyone know anything about this tire: BFG Radial Long Trail T/A

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product...t=10.5&Diameter=15&Speed=&SpeedR=&ModelTitle=

As mentioned earlier in this thread I do zero off roading and the tread patten on these tires looks much less aggressive that the BFG AT's. Just thinking they might be a better choice for a street only tire.

Lee

ok got a new ? do they make BFG AT's in 30" or 29"??

try looking into metric sizes AK...they have the tiny tires too ;)

Yup BFG makes a 30x9.5x15 AT tire plus a 235x75x15 as well.

what would fit best on a stock rim?

Originally posted by Ak LTD Xplorer
what would fit best on a stock rim?

They should all fit assuming you have a 15 inch rim....just put the same size on that came off if you're worried about it. Mine came stock with the 235's

Well they will all fit but 30x9.50 will wear more evenly and not so much in the center first (as with the 31x10.50). IF you are worried about ANY negative aspects just role some 30's in AT or MT and you will be satisfied.

hmm now should i go with 31's like i planed..or 30's..hmmm

Originally posted by birdman
Well they will all fit but 30x9.50 will wear more evenly and not so much in the center first (as with the 31x10.50). IF you are worried about ANY negative aspects just role some 30's in AT or MT and you will be satisfied.

You think a 31 will wear less evently compared to a 30? There shouldn't be any difference.. There is no no corrolation between a bigger tire wearing from the center first compared to a stock tire. As long as your vehicle is probably maintained, there should be no problem.. Rotation, balance, proper PSI pressures along with a good alignment are the best way to maintain a good tread wear.. I had a set of Bridgestone Duelers last me over 80k miles with balance & rotation every 6k miles.

Hey Guys, I'm new here and hope you can help. I've read through this thread and cannot find anything regarding tire upgrades for a new Explorer. I just bought a 2004 Limited 4X4 with 3.73LS, tow package, etc. It comes standard with 245-65-17 tires, which were the biggest tires ford had to offer. I think they measure about 29.5 inches. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone new for sure (because the dealer won't say) what is the tallest and widest tire I can put on the 17" rim without rubbing the wheel well while turning or hitting bumps? I don't want to do a lift, because it is a lease and I think they would frown upon that. I don't need major offroad tires. I am intersted in occasional light off-roading, driving on the beach, and launching my boat and waverunners off a dirt or gravel launch ramp.

I appreciate any help.

Keep buying american my fellow patriots, before all american manufacturers sell out. It happened with Chrysler (Daimler) its amazing to think that the Dodge truck with a Hemi is now a German vehicle. I know I know, no more talk about dodge and chrysler, I'll get off the soapbox.

Regards,
Kyle

AK- I'd go with 31's. IMO, your X would look kinda goofy with 30's and the 4" ARC lift. YOu's be surprised at how much of a difference 31's make vs. 30's
i'm the furthest one away and Mike (rydinhigh) is to my right. he's on 31's and i'm on 30s. the third one has a BL and 33's so it doesnt count. and yes, we had a hooters meet with 4 explorer green x's(www.mikemormino.com/files/hooters)
DSCF0001.JPG

another- i'm the 2nd gen on the left and mike's in the middle:
DSCF0002.JPG

Originally posted by Kyler

Keep buying american my fellow patriots, before all american manufacturers sell out. It happened with Chrysler (Daimler) its amazing to think that the Dodge truck with a Hemi is now a German vehicle. I know I know, no more talk about dodge and chrysler, I'll get off the soapbox.

Regards,
Kyle
i think dodge has started upping its quality. i know some people with newer rams and their transmissions have all lasted past 30k miles (an amazing feat for a ram). they are worse than ford at building an AOD tranny. A lot of their new models coming out look mighty good. i think the takeover is good for chrysler.

anyways, if you look in the max tire sizes thread, there is a 3rd gen that just posted thats running a 265/70 R16(30.6in.). i think thats the biggest ive heard a 3rd gen running.

well to let you know how werd i am..i like my 27" wheel's with the lift..i just like to see space in thw wheel well's..but a 30" sound's alittle more like what im looking for + i want to try to keep as much Pep as i can..i only have 3:73's and i only do(will do) light wheeling comapred to what you guy's do(i think)

here's mine now with 27's
2004-03-18_001.jpg

really old pic..but you get the idea
2004-01-09_015.jpg

whatever floats your boat, buddy. i just know that whenever i look into my driveway, i always think that my tires are nowhere near big enough, but thats just me.

and i thank you for your help/input..that and if i want to lay the ARC system back down to stock for whatever reson i don't want it rubbing..ect just these little thing's..im still looking i may still go with a 31" but i will have to see

again thank's for your help!!

i just got 31's yesterday, can totally tell the difference on looks and getting in and out of truck, LOVING IT

before, with 235/75r/15, ok i guess
533410_4.jpg

after, 31x10.5/15 BFG Land Terrain, lil less aggressive then BFG AT's and no side wall grip, but i don't plan on climbing rocks netime soon,
533410_25.jpg

Can u tell the difference?
oh i am getting slight rub at full turn both ways, but shackles/aal/TT go on sunday.

is it me or does your EX look lowered?..lol

nice tires

how can u like all that space in ur wheel wells, not to mention, bigger, widder, lot more stable now

and lowered is one thing my X will never be, sorry

Back