• Register Today It's free!

P0430 code and cracked manifold

maine-explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 V8 AWD
I have been getting a check engine light. I had it checked out and was told probably due to the gas cap not being tight. Light reset. Code came back. Latest is P0430, bank #2. There is some debate as to on a 97 AWD V8 if bank #2 is under the driver side or the passenger side. I also have been told that there is a crack in the mainfold. Could the crack be contributing to getting the PO430 code?

Any thoughts on typical things that contribute to a P0430 code?

P0430 Code is a "cat working below threshold" aka "low cat efficiency", regardless bank2 I believe is driverside rear o2, just replacing the sensor may only be a bandaid though to a more serious problem. If you are covering up a cat problem you could develop a blow back condition and smoke some rings.

UPDATE: I have cleaned the MAF and added Sea Foam to the gas. The light was reset and has not yet come back on.

I have another car which had a check engine light just come on. It has a P0420, same as the Explorer, just the other bank.

Anyone know if getting 'bad' gas contribute to getting these codes?

If you can monitor the oxygen sensor PID data, see if the downstream sensors are switching like the upstream sensors. If so, the cats. are not working. Downstream sensors should read steady at about 0.7v in closed loop.

Back