'93 Sport Expo/ trail rig build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 Sport Expo/ trail rig build

I was thinking about you last weekend. We ran the powerline trail to Ravens Roost. There was about 2" of snow on the upper part of the last climb. Fun time!

Should be some snow coming this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm really enjoying this build! It's about everything I've been wanting to do, although it'll be a little easier since I have all the lift/tire components on my XLT to just swap onto a Sport...keep up the good work, and looking forward to seeing your progress!

Any thing new on this?

Wow, time flies. Nothing new on it. In the last year I've changed jobs, sold a house, bought a house, moved 6 hrs and have a baby due this weekend. But, the baby is pushing the Explorer back up on the priority list. It's got a back seat, windows and AC, much better suited for wheeling with a baby!

Time to bring this thread back to life with some new work on the Explorer!

When I left off I was sorting out the coils and alignment. After dropping the ball on my end for a long period of time Mike at Duff still helped me get the coils figured out. He ended up shipping me a set of revised rate springs that set perfectly.

I've gotten several thousand driving and wheeling miles on the set up now, and the ride has softened up quite a bit. I'm very happy with the ride now. My only outstanding issue is with a bit of bump steer. The drop pitman with the kit isn't quite enough. I'm planning to swap to D44 knuckles in the near future. Hoping with the rod ends flipped (top side) it will give me just enough to flatten out the steering links and get rid of my bump steer.

The explorer is now back in the shop. Here's the list for the next phase of the build:

- Front Winch and bumper (in progress .. pics to follow)
- D44 knuckles (have parts in hand)
- Tires and wheels
- 4.88 gears. Repack/ upgrade the rear LS. Leave the Aussie locker in the front for now
- Rear bumper w/ spare tire
- Interior cage w/ rock sliders and quarter panel protection tied in.

I was thinking about you last weekend. We ran the powerline trail to Ravens Roost. There was about 2" of snow on the upper part of the last climb. Fun time!

Should be some snow coming this week.

@Albino 94LTD Not sure if you're still around the forum, but we'll be doing Ravens Roost Thanksgiving weekend. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in joining.

bump steer can be a real pita on a ttb truck
Best advice is to get the tie rods in phase with the beams as closely as possible
Swing set steering is the absolute best possible setup for the beamed steering
The stock inverted Y setup can work well too if you can get the tie rods down near the center of the beams and at the same angle, drop pitman, flip the tie rods, whatever it takes to get the geometry closer to stock

Beautiful build and sport...look forward to seeing more! The cage and your plans sound perfect!!
thanks for sharing one of the original RBV fanatics!! still kickin

Here's the progress on my winch bumper. Goals here were; high and tight, bolted and welded connections for winch (I'm not a certified welded ;)), recovery points mechanically attached to frame, flat spots for using high lift jack, reduce weight wherever possible.

Here's my concept:
13563.jpeg

"Winch box" is all 1/4" steel. Angle iron is bolted through the side plates to the frame. Winch base plate will be bolted and welded to the angle iron. You'll see the recovery points are integrated to the side plates and angle iron. I'll TIG and grind the seam in the recovery points to make it essentially one piece.

KIMG1669-1040x585.JPG
KIMG1670-1040x585.JPG
KIMG1672-1040x585.JPG

The "Wings" of the bumper are all 1/8" plate. I've done quite a bit of internal bracing and will plate the bottom. The bottom of the wings will remain flat for high lift jack lift points. I'll also truss the "wings" with a desert style "push bar" made from tube.

KIMG1679-1040x585.JPG
KIMG1681-1040x585.JPG

I'll fully weld out the internal bracing before I install the bottom plate. Planning to "slot weld" the internal braces through the bottom plate.

KIMG1686-585x1040.JPG

Current weight is about 60lbs right now.

I'm planning to use Crosby 209A shackles on the recovery points. I'm going to use the 5/8" shackle, which has a working load limit of 11,000lbs. This has a 1" throat on it, so I'll have to thicken the recovery points out from 1/2" to 1". I'll probably just plate both sides with more 1/4" plate and weld/ grind the seam to make it look like a 1" block.

I'm also planning on an aluminum skid plate extending below the bumper. Probably just low enough to protect the drop pitman arm and pack some snow down before arms plow it

Glad you are back. Do you have any action pics when you went out wheeling? Really like how the Bumper is looking.

Glad you are back. Do you have any action pics when you went out wheeling? Really like how the Bumper is looking.

Thank you! This is my first shot at building a plate bumper. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Unfortunately no good action shots. Wheeling with a baby in the rig is much more mellow, so there hasn't been much sketchy stuff to take pictures of. Here's a pic in the sand:

KIMG1618-1040x585.JPG

Here's a couple pics with a set of 1.5" wheel spacers. I threw these on because I was rubbing the radius arms and shocks of the Duff kit with the stock offset wheels. 1.5" spacing was perfect. Now I know what I'll need for offset when I buy wheels after the D44 knuckle swap.

KIMG1614-1040x585.JPG

KIMG1615-1040x585.JPG

I will be camping at Kanaskat Palmer State Park with Family. Don't think I can make it over for a run to teh Roost but will take it under advisement and forward to the other West side peeps.

I will be camping at Kanaskat Palmer State Park with Family. Don't think I can make it over for a run to teh Roost but will take it under advisement and forward to the other West side peeps.

Sounds good! We'll be camped at Long Meadow Fri nigh thru Sun. Anyone interested is welcome to shoot me a PM for more info. We'll be there with the Peak Putters out of Tri Cities.

Sounds good! We'll be camped at Long Meadow Fri nigh thru Sun. Anyone interested is welcome to shoot me a PM for more info. We'll be there with the Peak Putters out of Tri Cities.
What day do you think you'll run it?

Here's a couple pics with a set of 1.5" wheel spacers. I threw these on because I was rubbing the radius arms and shocks of the Duff kit with the stock offset wheels. 1.5" spacing was perfect. Now I know what I'll need for offset when I buy wheels after the D44 knuckle swap.

View attachment 175726

View attachment 175727

She looks really good. There are days that I miss My 1st gen. But I do like my 2nd gen sport that I have.

I totally get it abotu not doing a lot of heavy stuff with a baby. I started my son out wheeling when he was about 2 years old. He loved it. Still does but he thinks a Jeep is better:banghead:I am trying to change his mind But Meh to each their own.

No kidding! Looks great! Call me crazy, but I think the 1st gens will be sought after like early broncos in another 20 years.

I definitely agree with you on that! The first gens have a look that's already a classic look that I think people will really want.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

agreed the first gen sports are wicked wicked trail machines
3 door Ford suv's are never worth much, but neither were BII or gen I Rangers and even the prices on those are going up WAY UP
I am trying to save as many square bodies as I can

Back