P1309 P0171 P0174 codes wont go away 1998 ranger 3.0 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P1309 P0171 P0174 codes wont go away 1998 ranger 3.0 2wd

lhanson

Reaction score
City, State
oceanside ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ranger 3.0
Hey i have a 1998 ranger. I replaced damaged vacuum hoses cleaned the airfilter, cleaned the mass airflow sensor, replaced the fuel filter. check eng light stayed off for 20 or so miles then turned back on. my truck idles funny some times, it makes back popping noises like its a carberated, hesitates to go when first taking off. What should i replace or check next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak... double check that all the vacuum hoses you replaced are hooked up where they're supposed to be.

There's a guy on another Ranger board having a similar type problem as you:Link

okay this was just brought to my attention that an aftermarket chip could screw up the settings. the last owner said there was an aftermarket chip on the motor when i bought it. where is it located most likely? could it be that they didnt program it properly and causing the motor to run lean? this is becoming more and more frustrating.

as of now i cleaned the MAF, cleaned the air filter, replaced the fuel filter, checked/cleaned all spark plugs. the plugs and wires were replaced recently, going to replace the egr tube just for the hell of it. any other thoughts?

ok so michanic said it was the fuel dampner. I replaced that and still same problem. it has to be the fuel pump! i have replaced everything in the line for fuel. im getting only 42psi pressure. is there a way to test my fuel pump before i go dropping the tank?

Back