Painted Stock Wheels - Post Pictures | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted Stock Wheels - Post Pictures

Jon, you need to pick up and move here. I've been trying to find a local place to powdercoat my 17" SVT EAP wheels gloss black, but nobody around here does it. Shipping them to you would be killer... probably $100 both ways. I'm beginning to think I'd be better off buying some gloss black aftermarket wheels and selling the SVT EAPs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon, you need to pick up and move here. I've been trying to find a local place to powdercoat my 17" SVT EAP wheels gloss black, but nobody around here does it. Shipping them to you would be killer... probably $100 both ways. I'm beginning to think I'd be better off buying some gloss black aftermarket wheels and selling the SVT EAPs.

Send em to Turdle. Even with $100 shipping both ways, that's $460. Still pretty cheap IMO. Plus your helping out an Exploreforum member whose helping us out. :thumbsup:

This is true, but at the same time, my car would probably spend a minimum of 2 weeks on jack stands and walking to class 14-miles one-way doesn't sound like fun, lol.

This is true, but at the same time, my car would probably spend a minimum of 2 weeks on jack stands and walking to class 14-miles one-way doesn't sound like fun, lol.

But think of the stories you could tell the young'ns when your older!

Hey,:wavey: I can powder coat wheels also, and a lot cheaper than 525 a set.

Single color is 65.00 per wheel at my place. :D

Perhaps there's no demand for this in Kansas, which is why you can charge a lower price. And I had 4 wheels AND the skid plate for my bull bar done in a special order color - which I had to pay extra for.

Excellent job TFCeddieB. Any interior mods?

Not really... Replaced factory door speakers & installed a navigation (Pioneer AVIC F500bt). Nothing more I wanted to add/remove as I had every option you could get installed factory.

These posts inspired me to paint my stock wheels this last fall, right before the first snowfall. It was a full day project for me, and then let it all dry overnight before I put everything back on. It's been holding up really well so far in the snow and I've taken it through the carwash a couple times with no chipping.
photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

just thought I'd toss this one in of the X in a bunch of snow...
photo-4.jpg

-henkzilla

I have painted my stocks black for my winter wheels. I will go outside and take some picts..be right back lol

wow! you have the best looking xls i have ever seen nice job!!:biggthump

I have a 96, and I love the black wheel look. What paint did you guys use on your stock wheels? Rattle can? Primer? What prep did you need to do first? I can't wait to do mine too!

This is really making me wanna paint mine, but im looking at a few pairs of 3rd gen wheels, killer deals for like 250$ with 60% tread left

surfcjw..basically sand to scuff the surface of the rim to promote adhesion..primer..black wheel paint..and clear coat..
make sure you tape off the rubber and you are good to go :)
makes for a nice set of winter rims/tires

not the right gen Ex, but the right wheels, powdercoated by Turdle,

Attachments

• on the rock,.jpg
    on the rock,.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,347

forgot a wheel closeup,

Attachments

• wheel,.jpg
    wheel,.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 1,382

GONZMEXICAN...

your rims with the chrome caps on bfg's look awesome fella ! you sir just saved me about 300$ +...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you all take the wheels off to paint them or just tape everything up really good? Mine have been plasti-dipped for over a year and now I'm looking to paint them. Thanks!

Back