Parasitic Battery Drain | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parasitic Battery Drain

I agree that 100 down to 75%, overnight, seems excessive however I also wouldn't base any decisions on what's reported by a battery charger without knowing exactly was X% correlates to.

If you have Forscan (and perhaps other tools) you can interrogate to get what the car thinks the charge level is at. Have you tried this?
Again though, this is an indicator only and not absolute. For example, before I most recently replaced my battery, it would commonly show the battery at 20-35% and yet I never had an issue starting the car
I just downloaded FORScan yesterday as my F250 is having issues as well, but my current BT module won't connect. So I ordered their ELM or what ever they call it. So I am waiting for that.

I just went out and tried to scan the explorer with my FOXWELL scanner (644Pro). It's a pretty robust scanner as far as hand held scanners are concerned...if you ask me. It doesn't perform miracles by any means, but it reports back very detailed info on the codes.

I have an 08 BMW, 2016 BMW, 2004 F250, and the 2018 Explorer. Up until now, I've never used this scanner on the explorer, but on all other vehicles. Autoscan always finds the vin automatically. I tried to scan the Explorer, and Auto scan failed. Came back with vin FFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Right?!!
I put the vin in manually. It came back as a 2.0L ISUZU.
I went in an even different route, and did an obdII entry. Still wasn't able to scan, but it did recognize it far enough to see it was the right vehicle enough to be able to reset the battery. But that ISUZU thing concerns me.

I tried the engineer menu trick. Pretty cool. Odd thing is that it reporting that my battery is only giving back 12.1V.
I put the multimeter on it battery posts, and it holds a steady 12.98V. Again, brand new battery.

Hi All,
I thought I would share what I'm experiencing with battery drain. I only uncovered this, this morning, and so have not managed to really get into exploration yet. This said though, I have an initial block that one of your good folk may have the answer to.

The situation is that with the Explorer parked in the garage, locked, nothing plugged into OBDII port, nothing plugged into DC outlets, no interior/exterior lights on, the constant battery drain is 2.1A. That is HUGE! and wrong.

So I tried to identify the source by checking every fuse in the book under the hood for voltage drop across them - nothing. I actually doubted my meter initially because I wasn't expecting this.
After this, I removed the cable that "plugs in" to the +ve battery terminal. I don't know if it has a specific name but it's the one with a green connector that runs left>right in direction. I'm hoping to paste the image below.
View attachment 419785

Now that I know this is the source, I don't know where it goes. Given the gauge of the cable, this must split into many other cables or fuses that I can then go check. Anyone have any ideas? Something isn't working right downstream from this connector...specifically, it's not turning off!

Thanks!

View attachment 153722

Back