Parking System Keeps Shutting Off in Reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking System Keeps Shutting Off in Reverse

Griff1324

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I have an '03 ED Explorer. When I first got the truck a few months ago the parking system worked fine. Now, as soon as I put the truck in reverse, the parking system switch on the dash lights up with "Off." I have tried pressing the switch while in reverse and it does nothing. I can backup near something and the system does not beep, so I know that it is not working properly. While in any other gear, I can hit the switch and the "Off" light in the switch stops glowing. However, as soon as I put it in reverse, it disables itself again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you check all your fuses? Also aint your X still on a warranty?

My explorer does the same thing. Keeps going off when in revese. If i press the button to turn on, once i place in reverse it goes off again. Any help will be greatful. Thanks.

Does anyone know where the wiring goes to and from? Also does anyone know where the speaker is located? Thanks.

The speaker for mine is located in the back. For some reason it seems confused. This is probably a long shot, but try disconnecting the battery for a while.

It's possible it's a bad fuse... IIRC, there are three or four that feed the Parking Aid Module.... Don;t know the numbers offhand.... will check again in the AM....

-Joe

Just checked the schematics again. In the central junction box, check #27 (7.5A) and #26 (7.5A). The switch and the Parking Assist Module are both located inside the passenger side rear quarter panel, right next to the tailgate.

Here's the first part of the diagnostics from the service manual:

Inspection and Verification

Verify the customer concern.
Visually inspect the following for obvious signs of electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart Electrical
Central junction box (CJB) fuse 26 (7.5A)
Circuitry
Parking aid sensors
Parking aid disable switch and LED
Parking aid speaker
Reversing lamps

If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
If the cause is not visusally evident, connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector and select the vehicle to be tested from the diagnostic tool menu. If the diagnostic tool does not communicate with the vehicle:
check that the program card is correctly installed.
check the connections to the vehicle.
check the ignition switch position.
If the diagnostic tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the diagnostic tool operating manual.
Carry out the diagnostic tool data link test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:
SCP+, SCP-, UBP or ISP circuit fault; all electronic control units no response/not equipped, refer to Section 418-00.
No response/not equipped for parking aid module, Go To Pinpoint Test BC.
System passed, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs and carry out self-test diagnostics for the parking aid module.
If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the Parking Aid Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index.
If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, GO to Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics.

Parking Aid Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index DTC Description Source Action
B1299 Power Supply Sensor Circuit Short to Ground Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
B1342 ECU is Defective Parking Aid Module CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the parking aid module self-test. If DTC B1342 is retrieved again, INSTALL a new parking aid module; REFER to Parking Aid Module in this section. CLEAR all DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
B2373 LED No. 1 Circuit Failure Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
B2477 Module Configuration Failure Parking Aid Module REFER to Section 418-00.
C1699 Left Rear Sensor Circuit Short to Battery Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1700 Left Rear Sensor Circuit Failure Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1701 Left Rear Sensor Fault Parking Aid Module CLEAN the rear bumper and sensors with high-pressure water. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. If the DTC returns, INSTALL a new parking aid sensor; REFER to Parking Aid Sensor in this section. CLEAR all DTCs.
C1702 Right Rear Sensor Circuit Short to Battery Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1703 Right Rear Sensor Circuit Failure Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1704 Right Rear Sensor Fault Parking Aid Module CLEAN the rear bumper and sensors with high-pressure water. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. If the DTC returns, INSTALL a new parking aid sensor; REFER to Parking Aid Sensor in this section. CLEAR all DTCs.
C1705 Left Rear Center Sensor Circuit Short to Battery Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1706 Left Rear Center Sensor Circuit Failure Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1707 Left Rear Center Sensor Fault Parking Aid Module CLEAN the rear bumper and sensors with high-pressure water. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. If the DTC returns, INSTALL a new parking aid sensor; REFER to Parking Aid Sensor in this section. CLEAR all DTCs.
C1708 Right Rear Center Sensor Circuit Short to Battery Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1709 Right Rear Center Sensor Circuit Failure Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1710 Right Rear Center Sensor Fault Parking Aid Module CLEAN the rear bumper and sensors with high-pressure water. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. If the DTC returns, INSTALL a new parking aid sensor; REFER to Parking Aid Sensor in this section. CLEAR all DTCs.
C1742 Rear Sounder Circuit Failure Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1743 Rear Sounder Circuit Short to Battery Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1748 Switch Input Circuit Short to Ground Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.
C1920 Status LED No. 1 Circuit Short to Ground Parking Aid Module Go To Pinpoint Test BD.

Symptom Chart

Symptom Chart Condition Possible Sources Action
No communication with the parking aid module
Circuitry.
Central junction box fuse 26 (7.5A).
Parking aid module.
Go To Pinpoint Test BC.

Parking aid is inoperative
Circuitry.
Parking aid sensor.
Parking aid speaker.
Parking aid disable switch.
Parking aid module.
Go To Pinpoint Test BD.

Continuous or intermittent tone when no obstacles or fault codes are present (Certain obstacles may appear "stealthy" to the system, depending on geometric shape, size and material.)
Dirty or iced over parking aid sensor(s).
CLEAN the rear bumper and sensors with high-pressure water.

Parking aid sensor bezel(s) or parking aid sensor(s) locked into the rear bumper incorrectly.
INSTALL the parking aid sensor bezel(s) into the rear bumper correctly. INSTALL the parking aid sensor(s) into the parking aid sensor bezel(s) correctly.

Parking aid sensors are not aligned correctly.
CARRY OUT the azimuth check. REFER to Azimuth System Check Minimum Detectable Object Verification in this section.

From the looks of it, if the system is shutting tiself down, there should be a DTC stored for it. Unfortunately, the dealership will likely be the only ones that can retrieve it. :(

Let me know if I can be of any more help!

-Joe

Thanks gijoecam. I appreciate it. I will check into to it in the next few weekends when it gets warmer here in philly. Where did you get all of this information in a haynes manual?

Factory service manuals. I have access to some here at work. (Ford Motor Company) :)

IT Works!

I was in the same boat for a little over a year. NOW IT WORKS! I checked all fuses to no avail. Then, my drivers side-rear tire bearing went bad and I had it replaced (luckily covered under warranty). I also changed tire to the spare and now it seems to work. I can't explain what happened, but I am glad that its fixed.

Back