Pass Side Outer U joint replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pass Side Outer U joint replacement

v8_dave

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer, '05 Exped
Well, I bashed the TTB in pretty good, but managed to pull it out with a tow rope and a tree. Residual Damage now is the outer U join on the passenger side now has alot of play, so I want to replace it before it snaps. Is there a procedure somewhere on the board? I have searched and found lots of tips, but I couldnt find the full procedure. Thanks all once again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks a bunch! That is a great reference for changing the joint. In addtion though, is there a special procedure for removing the stub shaft from the truck? Do I have to break apart the ball joint, etc? Thanks as always! :usa:

Thanks a bunch! That is a great reference for changing the joint. In addtion though, is there a special procedure for removing the stub shaft from the truck? Do I have to break apart the ball joint, etc? Thanks as always! :usa:

You do not need to touch the ball joints. You will however need to remove the brakes, hub, wheel bearings, brake rotor, ABS sensor protector (if equipped), and spindle. Once the spindle is removed you just need to remove the passenger side stub axle boot clamp and the stub axle shafts will pull right out.

Great, thanks for the info!

I just have two more questions:

• The spindle has to come completely off, seperating it from the ball joints? How do I take the hub off?
  • The parts store lists two U joints available, 1.188" or 1.063" bearing cups? Are all '93 X's one of these or do I have to buy it after I remove it and measure?
Thanks again - Dave :)

Check out the 1st Gen Brake diary thread for lots of info and pics on removing (calipers, hubs, wheel bearings, Rotors). The Steering knuckle and Spindle are separate components. The steering knuckle contains the upper/lower ball joints) is NOT removed when replacing U-joints.

The U-joints for the Dana35 are 1.188" whereas the smaller U-joints you listed are for the Dana28.

Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

Help! I am in the process off this job but the rotor is just hanging there, not coming off. it wiggles around, but the inner bearing or something is holding it up? Should I just try real hard to yank it off, maybe with the slide hammer? Thanks - Dave

Help! I am in the process off this job but the rotor is just hanging there, not coming off. it wiggles around, but the inner bearing or something is holding it up? Should I just try real hard to yank it off, maybe with the slide hammer? Thanks - Dave

Once you have the outer bearing off the rotor slides right out. The only thing holding it on is the inner wheel bearing and outer wheel seal. If the rotor is difficult to come off it is often due to a wheel bearing that has fused to the spindle due to lack of lubrication or overly tight outer hub nut. In any case you need to pull off the rotor and inspect the spindle for any abnormal wear.

Thanks DeRocha! I ended up having to yank the rotor pretty firm to get the inner bearing to slide off the spindle, just as you explained. Now the stub shaft is out and now I will work on getting the U joint pressed out... :)

Back