• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Airbag Question

MrBill

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I recently purchased a used 2006 Explorer and have just finished studying the car and the manual. One oddity I've noticed is on page 145 where about 2/3 of the way down the page it says: The front passenger sensing system will disable (will not inflate) the front passenger's frontal air bag if: The front passenger seat is unoccupied, or has small/medium objects in the front seat.

Then on page 146 near the top of the page it says: The front passenger sensing system used a "passenger airbag off" or "pass airbag off" indicator which will illuminate and stay lit to remind you that the front passenger frontal airbag is disabled.

Down page 146 a little more you see: When the front passenger sensing system disables (will not inflate) the front passenger frontal airbag, the indicator lamp will illuminate and stay lit to remind you that the front passenger frontal airbag is disabled. To summarize the above 3 paragraphs - the light should remain lit when the seat is empty.

Then about 2/3 of the way down page 146 it says: The front passenger sensing system is designed to enable (may inflate) the front passenger's frontal airbag anytime the system senses that a person of adult size is sitting properly in the front passenger seat. - When the front passenger sensing system enables the front passenger frontal airbag (may inflate), the indicator will be unlit and stay unlit. This tells me that the light will turn on for a few seconds, then go out when there is an adult in the seat.

To recap the above: If the passenger seat is empty the indicator light will stay on. If there is an adult passenger in the passenger seat, the light will be on for a few seconds, then go out. This is NOT the way it is in my Explorer, no matter whether there is an adult in the seat or not, the light goes on for a few seconds, then goes out.

Is there a problem in my car or in the manual? :confused:

My understanding is, the light is only on if there is a little amount of weight on the seat. Take like a 12 pack and set it on there. the light will be on since it see a little weight, but no where near the amount of an adult. Its so if there was a kid in the fron seat it wont go off.

Back