PATS and a 302 engine swap into a Volvo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PATS and a 302 engine swap into a Volvo

TestPoint

Reaction score
City, State
Ellijay
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0 in an '82 Volvo
Putting a '00 302 into a very old Volvo. '2000streetrod' had been most helpful. Done the searches. I need to know what I need to do to bypass the security of the PATS when I do not have keys. This is a wreaking yard engine/trans/PCM out of an '00 Mountaineer hanging on an engine crane at the moment.

What model years, out of the '95 - '01 series do the PATS apply to?

If I need to get a data port operational, can I then access the PCM to disable the security?

Think I can get it to crank, would prefer it to start.

[edit April 2014]

The swap has been successfully completed but required far more research on PATS and the electrical systems than ever envisioned. I started a build thread that turned into a swap manual that can be found here:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

While it is very specific in some areas to the Volvo, a large part, especially the electrical, applies to any swap using the '96 - '01 Explorer engine with the 4R70W transmission. The electrical is covered in great detail.

PATS can only be disabled in software requiring a custom tune.

Here is the Secret of the Universe . . . all you have to do is satisfy the following 19 connections through the C115 connector, 12 of which are very straight forward connections, add a PCM Power Relay and a Start Relay and you are done.

C115M pin out – short version

1.) Pin 1 (red/light green) (circuit 16, page 13-16) Ignition coils power
2.) Pin 2 (tan/yellow) (circuit 11, page 62-2) Tachometer
3.) Pin 3 (pink/light blue) (circuit 915, page 25-6) Data port
4.) Pin 4 (red/light green) (circuit 810, pages 30-2, 59-6) Brake torque converter unlock
5.) Pin 5 (dark green/yellow) (circuit 238, page 25-1) Fuel pump on signal
6.) Pin 6 (pink/light green) (circuit 658, page 23-2) Dash MIL/CEL
7.) Pin 8 (yellow) (circuit 37, page 25-1) PCM permanent B+
8.) Pin 9 (red) (circuit 361, page 25-2) Fuel injector/IAC/MASF B+
9.) Pin 11 (tan/orange) (circuit 914, page 25-6) Data Port
10.) Pin 12 (tan/white) (circuit 234, page 30-2) Transmission Control Switch (OD Lock out)
11.) Pin 15 (light blue/orange) (circuit 926, page 25-1) Fuel pump relay
12.) Pin 16 (red/white) (circuit 39, page 62-2) Coolant Temperature Sensor
13.) Pin 22 (violet) (circuit 107, page 14-1, 25-6) PCM reprogramming power from Data Port
14.) Pin 26 (dark green/white) (circuit 253, page 62-2) engine oil sensor
15.) Pin 34 (black/white) (circuit 570, page 10-2) Ground
16.) Pin 36 (light blue/orange) (circuit 34, page 13-5, 25-6) O2 sensor/transmission power
17.) Pin 40 (white/light green) (circuit 911, page 62-6) 'OD OFF' indicator light
18.) Pin 41 (light green/red) (circuit 904, page 12-1) ALT light
19.) Pin 42 (yellow/white) (circuit 36 page 12-1) Alternator power

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Discussed with a Ford technician and he suggested that the '95 to '97 PCM would 'probably' work. These years did not have PATS and would match the engine. Issues may be with the 4R70W transmission.

Anyone have any comments on this answer?

Axle ratio & OBDII

To my knowledge no Mountaineer came stock with a 3.31 rear axle to match your Volvo. In order for the PCM controlled shifts to match the actual vehicle speed you will need a custom tune.

By utilizing a pre-PATS PCM you may be able to delay purchasing a custom tune. If you go that route, I suggest using a 1996 or later since some 1995 vehicles still had OBDI but all of the 1996 and later models have OBDII. The diagnostics and monitoring scanning capabilities of OBDII is superior to OBDII.

I agree with the '96 - '97 OBDII issue. Not trying to avoid a custom tune. Just trying to understand what is not going to work if I plug in a older PCM into the '00 wiring harness. Like, does the '96 - '97 PCM match the connector on the '00 harness. Ordered the '00 wiring manual but have not received it yet.

I'm going to throw this in, more as a question than as a solution. This an "ask a good FORD electronics tech" comment. "IF" the '00 Expl/Mounties were offered in a "fleet" version then that may get around PATS. Our Police Interceptor fleet has never had PATS keys, my '05 E250 didn't, my 08 E250 does not have PATS keys. I recall a while back giving a guy my E250 VIN so he could get the PATS programmed out of his ....... I think that's what I recall. It's worth asking about............

Off the top of my head theres a few issues using a 96-97 pcm on a 00 motor/ harness that I can think of. One being the CPS, somewhere during those years the type of pickup in the sensor changed. Also egr may be an issue unless you can find a later 97 gt40p pcm. Those are just two of the bigger issues I see, I'm sure theres more. I recommend getting a custom tune from Henson performance right from the start to remove the pats, as well as any other changes you need, or finding another pcm of the same year/calibration with a key.

I'm going to throw this in, more as a question than as a solution. This an "ask a good FORD electronics tech" comment. "IF" the '00 Expl/Mounties were offered in a "fleet" version then that may get around PATS. Our Police Interceptor fleet has never had PATS keys, my '05 E250 didn't, my 08 E250 does not have PATS keys. I recall a while back giving a guy my E250 VIN so he could get the PATS programmed out of his ....... I think that's what I recall. It's worth asking about............

Most if not all F/E series trucks don't come with pats standard.

Most if not all F/E series trucks don't come with pats standard.

Well 3 of my family members have 03 and up F150's, all having PATS. My 98 F150 did not. IDK.......

Communicated with James Henson over the weekend and he says that he can disable the PATS and take care of all my other issues at the same time.

Great forum you got here guys!

Very informative thread! I feel the need to understand all the capabilities of the X3 and the various parameters that can be affected by a tune. Getting there . . . slowly.

Eating an elephant

Still trying to understand the meaning of the universe.

Does anyone know of specific differences between the PCM / C115 wiring for a '96-97 vs. the '98-01? I now have the '00 wiring diagram book and noodling out all the connections I need to address the engine swap. There are 42 wires coming out of the C115 connector some of which have to find a home somewhere. I am building a spreadsheet for all the connections that I would be happy to post but this forum does not appear to allow attachments. That would be a big head start for anyone doing an engine swap.

Another request for help.

I have gone through about a hundred pages of wiring diagrams three times trying to identify all circuits/pages that contain the C115 connector. Have the circuit list by connector pin but there is not any way, that I have found, to look up the page number by circuit number. Perhaps you can tell that I have not found all the circuits yet. If anyone has the CD version and could do a search on 'C115' to produce all the occurrences that would help a lot.

Marinating some olives and will go through the book again.

tp

OK, went through the book again. Still have the following pin information missing. Both my wife and grandson laughed and walked away when I asked for help.

Still Missing the Wiring Diagram page numbers for the following C115 pins/circuit numbers.

C115 Ckt Wire Wire
Pin Num Code Code
2 11 TN/YE Tan/Yellow
39 191 LG/BK Light Green/Black
20 199 LB/YE Light Blue/Yellow
27 305 LB/PK Light Blue/Pink
30 331 PK/YE Pink/Yellow
19 351 BN/WH Brown/White
6 658 PK/LG Pink/Light Green
4 810 RD/LG Red/Light Green
15 926 LB/OG Light Blue/Orange

I promise to publish the information for use in an engine swap if I can get these circuits identified.

I'm sure you're having more luck marinating the olives. Glad to hear you got the manual. It's an exact paper copy of the CD and live info, unfortunately. I'd love to help you out with a function labeled pin out but what you see is what I got. Needle in a haystack I think would be accurate.

I had a 93 T-bird (Mustang) 5.0L HO to go in my Ranchero project. It was sooooooo simple, about 3 or 4 wires to hook up and run. Wondering why the Explorer is so much different.

Always throw this out there when someone is doing a 302 swap.

Painless wiring makes a dedicated harness for Windsor motors. Just add the ignition and Mustang computer of your choice, no pats. Both summit and jegs sell it.

Looked through the Painless products. I have the complete Ford wiring harness and PCM. Just need to be able to connect that entire assembly to the ignition, starter, amp, oil, water to car plus other connections to power and ground. I can do this if I can find all the circuits in that plug.

This is not rocket surgery.

Old Volvo = Old School technology = Trash the computer and all associated wiring, then + Edelbrock aluminum manifold with 3 deuces + custom tubed headers.

What are you going to do about the heavier front sprung weight? Are the heads aluminum?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 302 has iron GP40P heads.

This Ford 302 is reported to weigh about 100 lbs more than the Volvo 4 cylinder gas engine. This car came with a much heavier cast iron 6 cylinder diesel and appropriate springs, larger sway bar, larger radiator, etc. While I will never be able to prove it, I would think that the diesel weighed at least as much if not more than the Ford engine.

My objective is to build a long term, sleeper, daily driver vehicle, not a toy.

Back