• Register Today It's free!

Pinging under acceleration/load??

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
my 95 4door explorer XLT 4.0L auto 4x4 with 140,000 miles.

my motor is pinging (classic rattling spoons noise) when the car is under load such as
going up a gradual hill

or when accelorating in a low gear before the tranny can shift.

once the transmission shifts the pinging goes away.

do you think maybe the engine Knock sensor is bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has it been doing this for more than 1 tank of gas? Pull the codes, there may be a code stored even if CEL is out.

I'm not certain your engine has a knock sensor.

Check the fuel pressure, spark plugs and wires.

its been doing this for a while. plugs, wires, fuel filter are all new. it was doing this before and after the tune up

I'm sure my issue is totally unrelated, but I'll share it anyway just because it has a happy ending, lol.

I was on my way home a few weeks ago... running the X kinda hard. Not anything it shouldn't be able to handle though. I eventually slowed down and turned the radio down a little bit and heard what sounded like valves ticking. I thought, ah man... I've done it now. I was only about a mile from home, so I drove it on home, shut it off, and went inside to let it cool off before I started diving in. Came back out a little while later and started it up... nothing... revved it up... SOMETHING! I got out and raised the hood and at this point, I was baffled. I'm standing there scratching my head, thinking WTF? I leaned over into the bay and had my arms resting across the top of the fan shroud area and my elbow bumped my intake. THAT was the source of my sound. I had installed a KKM CAI a couple months prior. I remembered when I installed it that it felt like I tightened the bracket that bolts to the MAF housing a little too tight. Apparantly, it was tight enough to strip the threads out of the housing because the bolt backed itself out and everytime I would give it a little gas, the engine would rock enough to clank the bracket.

'Twas an easy fix... thankfully.

Back