PLEASE HELP ME FIND SHOCKS :) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE HELP ME FIND SHOCKS :)

Allie

We carry the Edelbrock Shocks for lowered Explorers. They are priced at $69.95 ea. for members of this web site. We also carry a suspension bumper kit that helps the ride quality of a lowered Explorer.

ED3389 Edelbrock Shocks ..front for lowered Explorers...$69.95ea.
ED3489 Edelbrock Shocks.. rear for lowered Explorer......$69.95ea.
ZD5617 Suspension Bumper Kit........................................$89.95

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just ordered 2" shorter shocks for my fronts from O'Reily's today....same price as the stockers. they just looked up the stock shock in their nifty shock book that gives all the dimensions and found one that i needed with the same mounting configuration. the rears...same as factory if done with blocks...if you do it with a different shackle then you need shorter shocks.

the only problem is that i cant find a stabilizer shock for the rear...do any of you guys have this feature? and where can i find a shorter one (that one does have to be shorter no matter what you do) i wonder if i could get one that matches the dimensions i need then hack off the old mounts and weld them on to the new shock?

Originally posted by fordkrazy
i cant find a stabilizer shock for the rear...do any of you guys have this feature?

I have it. I just noticed it when I put my new EE Edelbrock IAS shocks a week ago. They are great btw. So, this 5th shock, how do you know when it needs replacing besides the obvious leak on the shock itself?

well generally it will need replaceing when the rest of them do since it is doing about the same amount of work. the thing is finding them....the only aftermarket one i found was a bilstien...and it was about 10 more than the stock....im going to leave mine off for the time being. through looking at the set up i figure its for more of the bumps that make both wheels travel the same and it takes out some of the inertia from that heavy differantial. but at 70 bucks i think i can handle the traditional set up especially since i have the factory ones at 100k (anything will be better!!!)

im bringing back an old thread to fix some info.

the shocks for ranger will work however, nitro shocks for rangers wont work.

they mount upside down, an upside down nitro shock wont work because the gas flows up and out instead of working how it should.....

Are talking about all four or just the front shocks? I won't need it for awhile but it's good to know...

just the front mount upside down.

btw i got off the phone with Doetsch Tech and the reason my shocks ride so crappy is because they are the 3000 series, made for lifted vehicles. so obviously they wont ride well on lowered ones. They are sending me something else, but im not quite sure yet.

Originally posted by nnnick
They are sending me something else, but im not quite sure yet.

Not sure yet? What- they'll send you shocks for a scooter next? :D

Don't you hate it when they send you the wrong parts after waiting for them for so long... and intalling them too. :(

For the guys wondering about ranger drop shocks on an x heres the answer, THEY WORK. I have Toxic Shock ranger drop shocks on my x and they work great, and they are nitro shocks. There are several companies that make these shocks for the rangers. all you have to do is make sure to buy the shock corresponding to your drop. Belltech, Doestch Tech, Toxic Shock, and DJM suspensions make these shocks.

I may be wrong but I read a thread not long ago that the difference with the Ranger front shock mount and the X is that on the X you have to install the shock upside down. On some shocks this isn't possible because the shock can't be installed that way. I forgot the reasoning behind it though.

hey guys just wanted to let you know that I just installed the complete lowering kit at Explorer Express. It includes the Edlebrock shocks for lowered Explorers, the lowering blocks in the rear, the solid rear sway bar and the front suspension bumpers. After I drove it awhile the truck settled down and dropped to almost 2 inches in height. The handling is crisp and sharp and the height is just perfect. Low enough to achieve the sport truck look and be noticeable and the hard is not bouncy. It is firm and crisp but very smooth. Explorer Express did a heck of a job on my 2000 Mountaineer. For me it was money well spent. I would recommend that anyone who is looking for the lowered look yet wants the smooth ride buy the complete package. I didnt have the time to install it myself because of my work so that is why I drove to their shop and had the pros do it.

yeah the shocks from EE seem to be the way to go, i've never heard anything abad about em. problem are the are expensive, but they sound like they are worth it.

Sorry to drag this back from the dead guys, but my 98 needs new shocks BAD. I don't have the $$ to blow on Edelbrocks and he's lowered about 2", so I need specialized shocks (blew them out when I lowered him the full 3", had to lift him back up... 'Duhhh' moment :rolleyes: ).

It's my understanding after reading this that I CAN get front Ranger shocks and mount them upside down and that'll work???? Or they're supposed to be mounted how? :confused: What year Ranger? Thanks for any help y'all can offer!

Anybody?

What year 4x4 Ranger should I order 2" dropped shocks for so they'll fit on my 98 Explorer??

(i know for a fact factory won't cut it anymore... blew out all 4 when i lowered my truck)

you could also try the doetech nitro slammers. I forget who has them but they can actually make them for your specific drop and they are only around $30-40.

Critical_Level2 said:
you could also try the doetech nitro slammers. I forget who has them but they can actually make them for your specific drop and they are only around $30-40.

A few questions, if I may:

Are the slammers Explorer specific or would I have to order for a Ranger?
- I can't mount nitro shocks upside down though, right?

Anyone recommend a website/catalogue/store I can buy them from?

Thanks a lot, gang... I REALLY need to get shocks asap!

I called Doetsch Tech today and spoke with them about shocks for Jack... after being told that they don't have any for awd/4wd X's, I went and spoke with a few of the technicians at work (I work for a Ford dealer). The general consensus is that there isn't any major difference between shocks on a 2wd or a 4wd Explorer, since they both use identical IFS.

Can anyone dispute that?? If not, I'm ordering 4 Doetsch Tech Nitro Slammers for a 98 2Wd tomorrow!

You could check with hartman, I believe he used to be 4wd and converted to 2wd and still used the same shocks.

I used the Deutsche Tech Nitros for a 4" drop Ranger on my '01 Sport back in '01. They bolted right up so I don't see where the confusion is? They were great shocks for the time I had them on the '01 before I got rid of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back