• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE HELP ME FIND SHOCKS :)

psychotic

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP: '02 V8 Limited 4WD
Lowered about 3 inches, looking for a more sporty ride, stiffer shock.

My shocks are stock at 111k miles, and lowered... omg the ride is sooooo bouncy.

looking around 200 price range.

Everytime I find a sport truck shock, I can't find an explorer application. I know Doestech makes nitro slammer, belltech has sport nitrogen shocks, and a few other companies. They all have applications for rangers, but no one can tell me if ranger shocks fit on explorers?

Any help what I could search for or where I could look would be great...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think Edlebrock makes a shock for lowered trucks.... i konw some people on there that have them and love them.. check thoses out.

dont buy the doetsch tech's, mine ride terrible

thanks for the hint nick.... i know people have those lowered edelbrocks... i don't want them, overpriced.

I just got Monroe Reflex yesterday. Great ride- not overly harsh on bumps in the road, but the stiffen up nicely when pushed hard. Or perhaps i like them so much because they replaced the originals with 120,000 miles on them.....either or :) . They may be bit out of your target price range though, they were 79.99 a piece from a local shop

truthfully there arent many options for us lowered explorers....

custom made doestch techs - mine sucked, but i think i may have ordered em short....but you cant get em with nitrogen (well you can, but only in the rear) so they still wont be that great...

edelbrock - only made for lowered 1.5", and a bit pricey

Billstein/saleen - ditto as edelbrock

i dont really see too many other options. i already am looking for ways to replace my doestch techs, and theyve only been on a month, so cheaping out def. wasnt the way to go....im half tempted to order the nitrogen DT's for the back (because thats where most the ride is the worst), and get em a little longer......i can do that option for under 100 as opposed to near 300 for a set of edelbrocks...but then again im weary if i try this it might still ride like crap, and i will have just wasted more money...

For the rear you can use stock length shocks because the shock mount itself is not moved, if you used blocks that is. The front is a bit tricky, not sure if you can use Ranger lowered shocks or not, I'll have to look into it.

Thanks hartman, please do... if i could use ranger front shocks, that would be PERFECT

Ok, after doing a bit of research, stock Ranger shocks have the same design in the front as Explorers (long bolt at the top, and the plate that goes thru the hole on the bottom and secured with two bolts). So, theoretically, lowered shocks for Ranger fronts should work just fine. I'm 90% sure at the moment.

sweet... i bet someone on here knows for sure... i just hope they happen to stop on by

if ranger front shocks work, then why the hell couldn't doetsch tech make me nitrogen shocks...i know they make nitro shocks for rangers.....

s.o.b. the guy said that the front shocks mount upside down, which is why the couldnt make em

Sometimes companies are too lazy to find out for sure... they don't realize if they could use the same part # from the ranger front for explorers... they could make more $$$. All it would take is a lil research.

Originally posted by Hartman For the rear you can use stock length shocks because the shock mount itself is not moved, if you used blocks that is.

Are you sure about this, Hartman? I lowered mine 2" and it looks like the shocks were "extended" 2" as well. So if anything the shocks to get should be 2" longer.

Or I maybe all wrong all together...:(

yeah i question that statement too. it def makes the shock longer.... unless the 4 door springs mount different, the shock mount is below the blocks.....so the blocks make the shock mount go 2" lower. given the leaf spring might change arch a little bit, it doesnt change that much, so the mount should be 2" lower if u put 2" worth of block in it......

the mounts arent really 2" lower.... the axle is 2" higher. if you measure the mounts before and after the block install, the shock will be exact same length at rest.

damn. i stand corrected.

So why the bouncy ride after lowering? I understand the bottoming out because of less travel but why the bounce if the shock is compressing from the stock position?

hmm....
ok so i'm going to lower the X 3"....are these Edlebrock shocks for lowered trucks, you guys are talking going to work on my X? Does someone have a part # on the shocks i need to get.

Thanks,
Allie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Allie -
My ex is lowered about 3 inches.
I got all 4 KYB monomax shocks on ebay for 204 shipped.
They ride pretty good, and the handling is great.

Back