• Register Today It's free!

Possible T.P.S. wiring issues.

TekMan05

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 5.0 V8
Recently I noticed every once and a while I would have a surge of the park or neutral idle and the only way to alleviate it was turning the engine off and turning it back on. Also last week I noticed the truck would not downshift upon hard throttle. Instead it would slowly accelerate as if I was in O/D. Very low RPM and slow climb. Well I did some research and it was a possibility that a TPS could cause this. Then I remembered that test wire that is used to test voltage had been spliced a while ago because the volt meter prod over time weakened then broke the wire completely. Well when I checked the splice came undone upon tugging on the harness side. Well there was no room to resplice the connector so I had to get one at a pull yard and re splice all 3 wires. Well now the truck accelerates but misses horribly but idles overall fine. here's a video

Afterwards I did get a CEL which was P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)
Can anyone give me some insight and a possible solution if it is the wiring?

20140730_154601.jpg

Looks like I already fixed my problem. It was one of those D'Oh I'm a dumbass moments.
While re crimping one of the wires I reached for my crimpers which happened to lay between the intake manifold and coil packs. This is what I seen, well no wonder I was missing and had a lean code. :D Oopsies. Test run seemed good though. Shifted through the RPM band and no hesitation felt. This is why though I don't like messing with engine wiring.

Back