possible to intercool a supercharger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

possible to intercool a supercharger?

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
is it possible to throw a intercooler on my supercharger?

its a powerdyne unit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it is, seen a few that had intercoolers hooked up, but it's not as common as it is with turbos, don't know if there are any manufacturers out there though.

ke.

i know paxton has a supercharger with a intercooler, the paxton supercharger look exactly like the powerdyne units, so im thinkin that intercooler could fit?

Vortech an ATI also offer after coolers. Othewise, just fab up your own. A centrifugal is much easier to intercool than a roots or twin screw, since you already have "pipe work" between the compressor and intake.

wher does the intercooler actually fit in between the pipework? as in, does the piping cool the air thats actually going into the charger? would it be between the airfilter and then through the cooler and then to the charger?

The intercooler is intended to cool the charged air. The supercharger compressor heats the air as it compresses the air. This is a simple mater of physics - as air pressure changes and volume remains the same, the temperature changes proportionately.

The intercooler will act to bring the compressed air closer in temperature to the amibient, but will always be some amount hotter than ambient due to efficiencies - unless, you have a water / air intercooler and use ice in the tank.

The intercooler would be placed between the compressor outlet and the trottle body inlet.

There is an excellent book called "Supercharged" by Corky Bell. Check it out at Border's or Barnes and Noble next time you are out. Some very intersted inreading for supercharger and intercooler design.

thanks man.

clark, just send me the blower. Then that will end all your questions ;)

Didn't I see a pic of you a short while ago holding up a huge turbo? Are you twincharging that thing? Now that would be sweet... Supercharger for low end, and then automatic switch over to turbo for high boost up top.

hahahaha nice..

I used to work at Mach Performance www.machperformance.com and the centrifugal systems we used were strictly ProCharger (turbonetics and innovative for turbo systems). One of the main reasons is that their kits are all intercooled (or for Vortech and Powerdyne, aftercooled...same thing).

You can try and find a shop that will custom make an Intercooler for you. I am guessing that this will not be for "strictly racing" but for street use also. If that is the way you will be treating this vehicle, I strongly suggest air/air intercooler. There will be less maintenence and you won't have to worry about plumbing.

If you will be using for race only, then air/water intercooler will give you greater benefits.

You can buy universal intercoolers from places like Turbonetics, they sell Spearco, which is a pretty well known name brand in intercoolers.

For mounting ideas visit the pics page at the Mach Perf website. They have their ProCharged S-10 and Turboed XBlazer, along with several customer's rides. I worked on the Turboed XBlazer and 2 of the ProCharged S-10s that are on their site.

(I am no longer affiliated with this shop, and I do not believe they sell parts to the general public anymore. Just use the pics for design ideas)

I wouldn't pay the big $$$ for a Spearco or anything if I was adding an inter/aftercooler onto an existed setup. There's gold in them thar junkyards! You just have to look. :D

Yea, you can usually find a good deal on a used, or possibly new ProCharger one on eBay too.

Back