What type of FMU to purchase???

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
Ok, so I purchased a powerdyne supercharger but it is missing the FMU. I called powerdyne and they said that they can sell me theirs for $299. Does anyone know the exact one they are trying to sell me cause www.superchargersonline.com has all theirs and none are that much. Also, is there a better one that should get? Any suggestions would be nice so that I can get Blackbox supercharged as soon as possibe :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I can't be of much help, but I really like the one that came with my BBK kit. Maybe call BBK and Powerdyne and see which ones are those that come in the kits. I know you already called Pdyne, but ask them who makes the FMU for them. Most s/c companies outsource their FMUs.

thanks...

I think the competition is on between you and I, Alec... hehe... how are was it to install that ignition retard switch? I think my NOS kit is begging me for it.

Very hard.
The BBK spark controller is part of the computer that comes with the kit. 2 days of wire splicing later.... Dunno if you can even use that computer module without the BBK blower.

Oh, just a thought, doesn't MSD make an ignition kit with a controller like that? Might want to look into it.

BTW, you'll most likely be faster than lil old me.

from powerdyne...

Powerdyne rep: "The fmu is just a plain fmu with fuel lines and a vaccuum line. The cost is 249.00 plus freight. You will need model 12:1 ratio."

On their website, I believe that this one is 200 lph. Now why is it that I see all these other ones and they are measured at gallons per hour? Is it ok to get a larger one? I saw the one in the MSD catalog and it is only 43gph (or about 163lph) so I am guessing that it is not large enough. Why are the EFI ones smaller? Ok, that's enough questions, sorry, I am eager to learn all this stuff.

Another thing, on their website and everyone else that sells their s/c, they advertise that it is not necessary to have a larger fuel pump or a chip but when I asked them, they tried to sell me a new fuel pump. Do I really need a new one. I thought the stock one on a 98 was very good?

Dunno what stock fuel pump you have, but mine didn't do it for me. I have a Ford Lightning pump. It should be ok for you to get a larger FMU, as long as it's tunable; you can always detune it. As for what minimum capacity you need, I'd ask Blk Mk8 or Troll.

you guys out there???

Well, maybe we can get them in on this thread if I keep bugging them enough... hehe... I would like to go with the MSD but I think I am going to wait and see if the stock one can handle it. Can I do that?

hey there-

vortech wants $140 for theirs which is the same thing has the powerdynes... try looking on ebay or go to www.corral.net or www.stangnet.com and look through there for sale section..... someone is bound to have a FMU for sale.... a powerdyne, vortech, paxton should all work and be the same. alot of mustang guys hate using FMUs and sell them pretty cheap-

I am not really using mine.. i have a vortech by-pass vavle on it.... but its there just in case its needed

thanks...

Thanks for the response... do you have any more pics of your truck? Like engine bay and stuff?

Also, could someone explain the ratio stuff when dealing with the fuel pump? I beleieve that I need a 12:1... what does that mean?

Lastly, why use the bypass valve? I mean, when you say you only use it when you need it, how do you know when you need it?

I know this all sounds really elementary but I am learning... slowly.

the best setup would be the dis-4 with the programable boost timing retard controller. also get a good chip a custome from diablo or get one from jerry. the FMU problem is easy just find a used one or buy a new one i have a new vortech one in my bay i can give you a ok deal on for it is a freands and he is stingy. as for the fuel pump the lighting one is rated pretty low just like the stock one they are both around 85 gallons per hour. i would go with a 160 intank or may be a little larger it is not a big deal. this is pretty much what you need. just make shure you get a vortech FMU because the paxton one is none adjustable. the pump thing is a no brainer if you dont want to change the tank one just put a vortech-t-rex inline it is very loaud but it works well. you could ditch the fmu all to gether and get 36 pound injectors and pro-m mass air this would be optium setup along with a 160 or larger intank pump.

LowdPypes

do you have any more pics of your truck? Like engine bay and stuff
I have a few floating around but I planned on taking a bunch this weekend if the weather is nice so Ill post some for you.

Also, could someone explain the ratio stuff when dealing with the fu
I have no clue- lol.... what a FMU does is limits the amount of fuel thats RETURNED to your fuel tank from the engine and keeps it at the motor. Im guessing that the ratio of fuel needed to the amount of boost/vac is just that.... they probably calculated it out and with the 6lbs of boost and what not you would need a 12:1 ....
I forget what mine is at the moment... 8 or 6:1.... something like that......

Lastly, why use the bypass valve? I mean, when you say you only u
I have an aftermarket fuel system on my truck.....
a 190 intake, a T-rex in-line, aeromotive fuel rails, aeromotive fuel reg, and 42 lb injectors..... so I really dont need the FMU since I have plenty of fuel at the motor all the time even under heavy boost..... so i dont need the FMU.... but i figured i already owned it so why not just run a by-pass and leave it there. If for some strange reason i need more fuel then the FMU will take care of it.

Like blk mk8 said also.... I am using a MSD DIS-4 box with a custom chipped burned on the dyno

and yes- the T-rex is very loud!!!!

and as far as i know its pretty hard to come by 36lb injectors anymore.... because ford motorsport no longer carrys/makes them.... thats why i went with 42s

Supercharger pics???

Does anyone have any pictures of their supercharger they installed on the 5.0?

LowdPypes - Ill take some pics of my motor in the morning... i just got home late.

what type of mufflers are you using for your dual exhaust. and how do they fit??? do you have them vertical??

I am sick of my flowmaster and want to stuff 2 dynomax ultra flos under my truck with hi-flow cats-

later

dynaflow glasspacks...

I currently have 2 dynaflow glasspacks and it sounds really good but I am redoing my exhaust this summer. Nobody would install what I wanted in town to I went to this guy just outside of town and he did it for a fraction of the cost and did a pretty good job on it. Currently, two of the cats are fake (just shields) and two of the stock ones are on there. Once I get a new cam in, I would like to run 3" from catback. The same guy said that he would do it with stainless pipes and all mandrel bent. Here's some current pics:

BLACKBOX-BOMBS1.JPG

BLACKBOX-BOMBS2.JPG

BLACKBOX-BOMBS3.JPG

I got a question about your exhaust set up. I am wonderng if having 2 separate systems like that can do damage to the engine. The reason I'm wondering that is because the cylinders on the drivers side have more bends and more length to go through. Wont that make that side of the engine have more restriction while the other side has a shorter path. I may be talking out my ass on this but I'm just wondering.

off road pipes...

simple.... H pipe or, even better, X pipe.

yeah that will equal out the pressure just like a muffler. do you have one? can it do damage to the engine if you dont?

um... no.

I should though. I was going to get that done but I am just going to wait till I have the whole thing redone. I would like to run the exhaust on either side of the car. It looks like there is room for it but I guess that it would be a little close to the fuel tank.... but that can't be the reason why. I mean, most tanks are in the back right next to the exhaust. Has anyone done this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt anyone has done it. It can be done if you dont mine having the pipe under the tank. I dont think thee is much room to run it over there.

Back