Possibly getting rid of the EX..

Teejay4490

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4x4
For another one!

Im not sure if this is even the right sub forum for this but its kinda the only one im ever on..

Anyways the new explorer, its a Black 2002 4x4. It has about the same mileage as mine buttt it does have a sunroof, keypad entry, automatic lights, and 20 inch wheels! (None of which mine has) It looks really good for its year and the deal is trading straight up. I'll be switching all my mods over to the black one also. Lemme know what you guys think!

4x4 is a HUUUUGGEEE thing contributing to this.

Sorry about the crappy pics..

5d9eda77.jpg

9e023717.jpg

3957b82b.jpg

And of mine just to compare :)

931a6865.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is one tough call! Dunno much about 3rd gens, but wouldn't an '02 be more problems than your '05? Maybe not by much, but still. And I hear ya on having 4x4 and a sunroof, the two things I wish mine had... It's a close call, but if no problems with the '02, I'd like that one, but of course just my speculation.

Yeah Thats the only thing holding me back. I drove it though, and it drives really nice. Better than mine actually lol

Edit: Its throttle is stiffer than mine, same motor..is that weird or supposed to be like that?

I will approve on 3 conditions

1. Ditch those wheels
2. Paint the trim
3. get different running boards

Edit: Its throttle is stiffer than mine, same motor..is that weird or supposed to be like that?

Thats because the 02/03 still had the cable throttle and our 04/05's have the flyby wire

I'll still have my black wheels with the Nittos. And of course the trim will be painted and ill put sliders on it eventually. But the running boards themselves will come off day 1.

And that makes sense as to why itd be stiffer, which is better?

And that makes sense as to why itd be stiffer, which is better?

Yea...the flyby wire is a terrible idea, which is also why our throttle response can be so slow.

They now use flyby wire on boats now which is great but i hate having it on my truck

Cool cool, well only 2 people responded but im more than likely going to be making this trade next week. Prepare to meet black thunder!! lol

Yeah but think about it your 1 vote, convinced me....huh huh right right? lol

Varsity seemed on the fences but I feel like it was a yes.

Compare the two...tow pkg? Ls? You would also be downgrading from a 5r55s to a 5r55w...(s has a lower first gear)
The 05 has a lot of bugs worked out for example the way the 02/03 rear glass mounts is prone to blowing out glass(seen it happen) Idk man I wouldn't have bought mine without 4x4 but Idk that I'd trade down three years to get it...plus the red fire pearl is too sexy lol
I have a extra 05 specific-4411 transfer case laying around...btw

Even James can attest the traction control part of advance-trac RSC is BADASS off road... Wouldn't have made it half the places I've been without it since I have 3.73 but both diffs are open...

Yeah, the 02 thing is alittle hard to deal with but the options it has over mine are just awesome..plus mine is starting to sound like it has alittle timing chain rattle to it. This one sounds great and shifts flawlessly

I should probably also include that mine has a coolant leak and needs alotta front end work.

Then I should include in 04 the 4.0 went to a different chain setup I know boomin could chime in and specify...
Also edited last post...

Although im 90% there on wanting to trade I still have a few days to ponder the situation as I will be in orlando till sunday. I appreciate all the comments, and yes I definitely have to agree the advance trac is nice even though I have an open rear end with 355's

Varsity seemed on the fences but I feel like it was a yes.
Yeah, in a roundabout way it was a yes. I totally agree with you on trading for the options. Some people may think you're downgrading, but honestly, if it's got what your current truck doesn't, go for it! Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad I guess. My only concern was the fact that '02s were a bit more problem-prone, but if you're good with that and aware, then I think it's a no-brainer.

And just throwing in more $.02, I actually like the trim that color, even though its hard to tell from the pics. I mean honestly, the trim matched with the pinstriping is what really caught my eye first and I think it looks great! Maybe a different story if it was faded or an ugly shade of grey but I think cosmetically the truck is great! Have fun with Black Thunder!!

Its faded grey trim but It doesnt look all that bad, I may paint it some sorta gun metal grey. Im not sure yet. I have made numerous repairs on mine and I do realize I may have to make the same ones but thats okay with me. I've had mine for 2 years and its been a good run but the 4wd will be awesome, If and when I go through with this there are more than likely going to be trail riding pics the day I get it. Show you guys what the Florida National forests look like!

4WD for the win, black never looks bad and you will definitely use that sunroof. Go big or go home. Or go big AND go home... In a nice black 02!!

I would personally keep the 05 for the reasons that Will mentioned. At least until you can find one of the later model 3rd Gens that has the options you want. X2 on the traction control function on the later model 4x4s...very impressive feature.

You could always lock the rear if you stayed 2x4...that would make a huge difference and you could probably do just as well offroad as an open or LS rear 4x4. Regearing the rear diff wouldn't be as expensive as regearing both axles on a 4x4....you could swap in a 3.73 diff or just get the stock diff regeared.

I would personally keep the 05 for the reasons that Will mentioned. At least until you can find one of the later model 3rd Gens that has the options you want. X2 on the traction control function on the later model 4x4s...very impressive feature.

You could always lock the rear if you stayed 2x4...that would make a huge difference and you could probably do just as well offroad as an open or LS rear 4x4. Regearing the rear diff wouldn't be as expensive as regearing both axles on a 4x4....you could swap in a 3.73 diff or just get the stock diff regeared.

Yeah Yeah I know what you mean and I probably could find an 05 with all those options but this way is so convienent and isnt going to cost me any money. Except when I start modding obviously, and I called my friend the other day and this one has 373's already which is awesome. And I really dont wanna let go of my explorer but i've always wanted a black one and lifting and driving a 2wd around the woods around here just doesnt work. Its mud and you need 4wd. I really do wish it were newer.

And yes mark dont worry day one, theres gonna be pics of it in the woods!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah Yeah I know what you mean and I probably could find an 05 with all those options but this way is so convienent and isnt going to cost me any money. Except when I start modding obviously, and I called my friend the other day and this one has 373's already which is awesome. And I really dont wanna let go of my explorer but i've always wanted a black one and lifting and driving a 2wd around the woods around here just doesnt work. Its mud and you need 4wd. I really do wish it were newer.

And yes mark dont worry day one, theres gonna be pics of it in the woods!!

Looking forward to seeing pics of your buildup then! :thumbsup:

Back