Powdercoated Bumper by Turdle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Powdercoated Bumper by Turdle

Awhile back (december) I posted about repainting the bumper on my 99 mounty. Like most of its age the bumper was rotting out, with chunks of paint and rust falling off. I decided to go with a new replacement bumper, and our resident powdercoat master Turdle offered to coat it to match. Already having seen the quality of his work on a set of valve covers and a diff cover for my other explorer, I purchased a new bumper and had it shipped directly to him. He prepped and coated the bumper and sent it to me, packaged very well.

It was my intention to have this installed months ago but due to a busy travel schedule and spring weather that flooded my basement I had to put this project off until now. Here are some before pictures of the old bumper.
IMG00002-20100626-1121.jpg

IMG00001-20100626-1120.jpg

IMG00003-20100626-1121.jpg

IMG00004-20100626-1121.jpg

I opted to reuse all of the brackets off the old bumper. If I had to do it again I would have purchased new ones and had them powdercoated or painted. The effort required to grind out all of the old rusted bolts then prep and paint the reinforcements and brackets wasnt worth it, that old hitch ball put up a good fight. I also took this opportunity to remove and repaint the hitch. Here are the results:
IMG00006-20100626-1649.jpg

IMG00007-20100626-1649.jpg

IMG00008-20100626-1649.jpg

IMG00009-20100626-1650.jpg

IMG00010-20100626-1650.jpg

IMG00011-20100626-1651.jpg

Sorry for the phone quality pictures, I can get better if needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks amazing! Great job guys! :thumbsup:

WOW that looks REALLY GOOD.
Be glad your bumper was only that bad. Mine is getting worse every day :( and it doesnt help when i put my plates on i accidentally put my finger throught the bumper. :D

The bumper was completely powdercoated to prevent it from rusting out again. The finish isn't perfect paint smooth, but taking into consideration that it should be much more durable than paint, its more than smooth enough. You wouldnt be able to tell that it wasn't paint unless you got down on the ground and really checked it out. As for the color match, the picture don't show it well due to the camera/angle/lighting/dirty truck but it's a very close match to the ford paint. With the plastic trim its very difficult to see the difference, and matching the factory metallic paint is difficult when going to powder. I'd recommend powdercoating the bumper for anyone looking to replace theirs with something a little more durable while retaining a factory appearance. This should resist the bubbling paint and peeling chrome that plague the stock bumpers. Overall another excellent job by Turdle, thanks again for the great bumper.

Holy--how did I miss this thread? That turned out great--

all this time and I thought you'd forgotten to post pictures--lol

:D

This is a real easy trick you guys. It isn't as expensive as you might think.

Bumperoni!!!

Almost 2 years later and still looking great! Its pretty dirty now, but I'll grab some pictures of how its holding up when I can get it cleaned up.

Back