power steering nightmare-ripped the wheel out of my hand | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power steering nightmare-ripped the wheel out of my hand

Keep in mind the steering box is set to use a certain amount of line pressure, your pump may or may not work with the box.

However the good news is it should work fine, the concern comes when you try to use a rack and pinion pump with a steering box, like me. It works fine too, but there is a dead spot int he morning till it builds up pressure.

The pump for a modern rack and pinion is significantly smaller than for the older gearboxes. To an extent they turn faster, but they don't have the same output volume as an older saginaw-style pump for a gearbox.

The old pump should work OK on the newer rack and pinions.... it'll just generate a lot more heat.

-Joe

I ran into that problem with an OLD bronco a couple years back. the lines needed to be swapped and everything worked fine. as for having air in the system the sterring usualy just gets choppy or jerky as the air pockets work thier way out. note for pump replacement they recomend flushing the gear box out and making sure there is totaly new fluid DO THIS my old F-100 ate 3 pumps cuz of this.

Yes, good fluid is a must. My second Lincoln Mark VII was an 85, which has the power steering and brakes assisted by the same pump(hydroboost brakes). When I did the brakes, I discovered that both the brake fluid and steering fluid were contaminated, filthy, etc. I drained both completely, and ran the engine with the steering pump flushing out to a five gallon container. I poured over a quart of cheap power steering fluid into it to flush it. The steering and brakes were much, much better.
Don

Back