power steering problems,'91 XL4x4

canucksgirl64

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL 4x4
POWER STEERING PROBLEM ,'91 XL4x4

I have a growling noise when I turn the steering wheel. A few weeks ago the power steering kept going out at low speeds but was ok at normal speed,that would happen on an intermittent basis then it was fine for 2 weeks. Then the noise started, there is no problems with the steering itself except for the noise and a slight steering wheel vibration, the fluid is brown, thin and foamy and splatters when the wheel is turned. I tried replacing fluid, cleaning the valve out and bleeding the line but none of this worked so now I have to assume it's the pump. I have purchased a new pump and I just want to be assured that this is the problem and if it is, what time frame for installation am I to expect? Is there anyone out there that can give me some info?

Defiantly sounds like the pump.

As for how long it will take to replace, somewhere between an hour and several days. :p
You will need a special puller to remove the pulley. Without it there is no way to do the job. It also requires a installer, but most pumps come with a bolt that will work to reinstall the pulley. One tip is to put a small amount of grease inside the hole in the pulley to help ease installation.

Not sure where you bought the pump, but some places will lend you the puller for a day or so. As the previous post stated, you have to have a puller to do this job.

Mike

Back