• Register Today It's free!

Power steering problem

Rags

Reaction score
City, State
Sheboygan Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I have a 1991 XLT....Turned into work today and heard the dreaded moaning noise coming from my steering....Got out of truck and looked if I could see a leak. Saw nothing at this time...Came out at break time and found a puddle of power steering fluid by left front wheel....Drove it home and it steered hard as hell obviously because no fluid...put some fluid in when I got home and it dripped out without the engine even being on....Can someone lead me down the right path of what I should work on first...I need some good advice, I need to this myself..Money is tight..My wife just had a major operation...I thank you in advance for your help...Rags

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a bad power steering pump, you can bleed the lines yourself and should be able to replace the pump yourself, check out a haynes manual should give good estimate concerning amount of labor required

Thank you for the info Dave..I appreciate it greatly....Rags

I was reviewing this procedure in the Haynes manual for a 91 Explorer with AC. The manual pics and the procedure are very vague.

I understand that I need to unhook the pressure lines to the power steering pump (I'm not replacing the power steering box) and unbolt from the power steering/AC bracket but...here's where I have questions.

Is it possible to unbolt the AC compressor and unbolt the power steering pump and slide the PSP back (towards the firewall) and out of the PS/AC bracket?

Or

Do I have to remove the AC, remove the PS hoses, remove the PS/AC bracket (with PS still bolted in) and then unbolt the PS?

It seems like there may be enough room (if I unhook the AC lines) to slide the pump back without having to unhook the AC compressor and PS/AC bracket.

Please advise.

NO!

Originally posted by Triton46
(if I unhook the AC lines)

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, remove the A/C lines. When you disconnect them you release all of the refridgerant from the system. Then no more A/C.

yob,

Yes, I am aware of that...which is why I am asking about removing the PSP without removing the PS/AC bracket or possibly just lift the AC compressor up out of the way..

I just replaced a PS pump on y truck today so I may be able to shed some light on this for ya'll.

Rags... Yours is doing exactly what mine was doing. The reservour on my pump was cracked and was allowing the fluid to drain. A reman pump around here runs $55 plus a $35 core.

Triton...I had to remove the AC compressor and unhook the lines to get the pump out. The pump and bracket must be removed as an assembly and then after the pully is removed you can seperate the pump and bracket. If your AC system has been converted to R134A then go ahead and disconnet the lines. Just be aware that the refrigerant will escape and keep your face clear. After you have completed the pump swap you can recharge the AC with R134A from your local parts store. If you still have a R12 system you will need to have it discharged for you (legally speaking). This would be a fine time to convert to 134 also.

It may be possible to do all of this while leaving the AC lines connected, I just couldn't see how to do it.

Before you go through swapping the reservior, first check the power steering cooler (if the early ones have one which they should) and the lines running to it. Your leak could lie down there.

thanks Michael

It seems like you could remove the PS pulley, unbolt the PS, then slide it out of the PS/AC bracket toward the firewall. You may have to remove the AC lines, but it looks like this could work.

Your prices were the same as mine. How long did it take you to remove and could you list the tools you used?

Alec,

Its definatley the PSP. I wiped my hand under the PSP and came out with a hand full of ATF.

Just so you know Alec, the early models do not have a PS cooler like the later ones.

The pump took me about a half hour to remove, including digging through my tool box for different wrenches, etc.

The pulley must be removed with a special puller. I don't have one, so I took the pump to the parts store and they removed it. You can probably get the puller from them through a tool loan deal. You will also need to press the pulley back onto the new pump after you get it into the bracket. The pump should come with a bolt and washer to thread into the shaft and pull the pulley on with. Mine didn't but it is just a 3/8 - 16 bolt. The fast way to get it on is to use an impact gun on the bolt. It will pull right on. DO NOT hammer the pulley on, you will damage the pump internals.

Then just reverse the removal procedure, fill the pump and bleed it. When reinstalling the high pressure line to the pump do not over tighten it. The spec is only 10-20 ft-lbs. Over tightening will lead to failure of the coupling, don't ask how I know :rolleyes: :D

Overall this is a fairly easy repair.

seal

I had a similar problem and when I went to change the pump I pulled the fluid container off first. All that was wrong was a bad o-ring. 20 cents for an o-ring at the local gasket shop and I was good to go. I saved my self alot of time and money. If you or somebody else tried this it would also be a good time to replace your PS hoses since you would be draining the fluid.Good Luck

Thanks guys, very informative...especially the part about removing the pully. Looking at my truck closer, I noticed that the refridgerant lines are going down and back, so I would have to remove the AC to get it out.

Based on what you said Michael, I may just take the whole thing (AC/PS bracket with pully) to Autozone and get it switched while I am there.

It was odd though, they had two different PSP listed at Autozone one with fluid reservoir and one without. I'm probably going to keep refilling the reservoir for at least another month and a half until the heat has died down though so I won't have to refill the AC until next spring (I have some work to do on it as well). Thanks again!:)

power steering gearbox.... just replaced mine

ok.... sorry posted before i read

Back