Power steering rack "check valve". | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power steering rack "check valve".

speleopower

Reaction score
City, State
cocoa bch
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Aerostar
I just changed the rack on my van since a boot ripped and figured it was easier to swap the rack than mess with the boot. I can swap the rack pretty quickly.
But in the rack I got from Autozone the instruction sheet mentions removing the "check valve" from the old rack and putting it in the new rack on the pressure side.

I don't have any memory of swapping the check valve over and I returned the old rack for the core about a week ago. In the mean time my steering is wierd. It seems to have a dead spot. That is I can turn a sharp corner to the left and come back to driving straight but the steering wheel is ****ed about 1/4 turn off. But I can jerk the wheel to the right and continue going straight and now the steering wheel is lined up perfect.
The same happens if I make a turn to the right. Van will drive straight but the steering wheel is about 1/4 off to the right this time. But I can yank the steering wheel to the left and the van will continue to drive straight and the steering wheel is now straight. The alignment is pretty much spot on as verified at a shop with alignment equipment. Power steering was bled etc etc. The only thing I can think of is I didn't swap the check valve.

I went to Autozone and told them what was up and thought maybe the replacement rack was bad. They hooked me up with a new rack. But I don't know if I have the little check valve. Again I have no memory of swapping the check valve and my Dad who helps doesn't have memory of swapping the check valve either.

Does anyone know what the check valve is and what it does? Could a washer with a small diameter hole work the same? I've asked Autozone, Advance and have looked all over the net for a repalcement check valve but have not had luck finding a replacement.

Help!!! Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The check valve is part of the power steering pump. Make sure that your steering wheel is aligned when you connect the flexible shaft to the rack & pinion. The alignment might be correct, but the wheel will be off center is it's not aligned properly.

Gotcha on the check valve. Yes the steering wheel was aligned correctly when I reassembled everything. The van will drive in a straight line with the wheel centered. It's just when I make a corner then go straight again the steering wheel is off by about 1/4 turn. The same happens if I turn left or right and go back to driving straight the steering wheel will be about 1/4 turn off. I can jerk the wheel back and the van will continue driving in a straight line plus the wheel will be centered again.

Anyway I got a replacement rack that I"m going to install tomorrow.

Thanks for the confirmation that the check valve is not on the rack itself like the instruction sheet for the rack shows.

-Scott

my 1997 has some kind of "check valve" screwed to the top of the rack with a wiring plug connected to it, looks like an oil pressure sensor if you ask me, I had never seen that sensor in my two previous Aerostars.

I too replaced the rack in my 1992 Aerostar with one from Autozone;

you needed to replicate all of the old rack dimensions and positions with the front wheels straight ahead, steering wheel in the centered position, then you counted the threads of each tie rod from the rack adjusting shaft and nut to the mounting. Assuming you did all that, then the rack is bad. Also you need to bleed the air from the system.

As to the "check valve", I have no clue what it does. Maybe you got a rack for a different model or year and Autozone assumes they're all the same.

No wire harness for my 97 steering. Also no check valve any other location. The pressure hose from the pump to the rack has a drain screw/plug.

Im heading out to replace the rack nkw and will report later.
Scott

The place on the line with a plug is where the power steering pressure switch was mounted on older models. It looks like Ford decided to scrap that part which always started to leak, and plugged the line so that they didn't have to redesign a new line.

So far so good with the new rack. Now it's way outta alignment.

I don't know what brand rack it is. I got it from Autozone and it appeared to be a refurbished one.
I'm smarter now and think the only issue I actually had was a leaky teflon seal at the flair nut fittings.

Which brand is the new rack & pinion?

they're usually sold under the house-brand from Autozone, they collect their cores, whether Motorcraft or Federal Mogul, rebuild them, then sell them under their "Duralast" brand, (a Spanish-English oxymoron because "Dura" means "it lasts" in Spanish).

in my experience, I had good service from their rebuild rack installed in my '92 Aerostar, and besides they are lifetime-warranted, so if it leaks after 2 years, you get another one. Try THAT with a Motorcraft rack! (Motorcraft come with 12 months warranty and after that they don't want to see your face again).

So do u have 2 have the check valve

Why does why steering wheel jerk from side to side .

No when u start it and then turn it the steering wheel starts jerking side 2 side.

If the tie rods are loose the force of steering they will change the position of the steering wheel as they unscrew back and forth. They require a set screw or roll pin to keep them from loosening. Also the check valve is in one of the holes between the steering assist.

Back