Powertanks

XplorerKid

Rolling on 37"s
Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xplorer
Hey guys, Ive been wanting onboard air for a while, My truck is not the most hardcore vehicle there is, actually rather stock, but i do like to push it to its limits. :) Ok enough BS. Like i siad ive been wanting on board air for a while, but i now am woundering if the Powertank(cO2) would be the way to go over say a conventional Air Compressor and tank setup. Is there any Cons to the cO2? Also will a Tank for a Beverage thingy, the c02 tanks off of one of them work? I know i will most likely need to change the regulator out, but i found a website that sould the parts for it.(link for regulator). If not, is "SOURCE" a good brand? LINK What #lb tank do yall suggest? i was thinking maybe 20Lbs? is that to much? My dad mentioned somethign about the Moisture in the cO2 is that a problem? I have aluminum wheels anyways so i wouldnt think it would matter.....

Main questions-
cO2 better than conventiona air compressor and tank setup?
Can i use a Beverage thingy Tank, if i fit it with the right regulator?
Is the "SOURCE" a good brand?

Thanks for the help guys

-Caleb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always wanted on board air too, but I bought a CO2 tank last spring. I bought a 'no brand" setup for alot cheaper than powertanks. What I see as the inportant part is the regulator. Powertank sells a free flow or high flow one, where mine is a standard regulator. I wish mine aired up faster.It seems to be more restrictive than what Powertank describes in their ads. But for half the price, I'm happy. :)

The tanks in your link have decent pricing.

Well my dad was telling me that those look jsut like the one tanks the soda things use, so hes gunna check pricing for me tommorow on what he can get em oen for... Also i could most likely get it filled up absolutely free. I jsut need to figure what size i want. What size are you running RangerX? Whatever i get, if its not one of those kits like the powertank or the one in the Link above, i will get one of the High Flow Regulators that i posted above..

Thanks

-Caleb

I had a 5lb one and it was good for a long day or short weekend of runs. I recommend a 10lb unit for weekends or a 15lb for longer trips.

They're great!

I have made 2 of my own CO2 systems. I have a 20lb and a 5lb. I used the 20lb for a while but now I hardly use it. The thing is so big it is hard to find a place for it. The 5lb works great, it is easy to store and it works for quite a few fill ups (31" tires)

My 20 lb aluminum tank was used for soda dispensers, I got it for free and my 5 lb aluminum tank I got for $5 at a yard sale. I had to have the small one hydro tested since it was out of date.

I allways wondered about useing an old scuba tank. Maybe strap it up where the spare used to be. Would it be too heavy to bother with, or too expensive to acquire? Just an idea I had and never had anyone to ask before.

Thanks guys keep the Info coming... i thought i would psot this cool picture i found, shows some great info..... a 20lb tank is compared to 1280 Gallons of air :eeK:

PS- had to edit this pic to get it to fit in the pixel requirements, i did delete the airhose comign off the big air tank jsut so it wouldnt look so crappy becuase of thew way i edited it....

Attachments

• cO22.JPG
    cO22.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,206

AspenX said:
I allways wondered about useing an old scuba tank. Maybe strap it up where the spare used to be. Would it be too heavy to bother with, or too expensive to acquire? Just an idea I had and never had anyone to ask before.

Would need to convert the regulator for use with cO2 since Scuba tanks are for use with Oxygen

XplorerKid said:
Would need to convert the regulator for use with cO2 since Scuba tanks are for use with Oxygen

I was thinking of just filling it up at the gas station.

XplorerKid said:
I jsut need to figure what size i want. What size are you running RangerX?
Mine's a 10 lb tank.

AspenX said:
I was thinking of just filling it up at the gas station.

That would just be compressed air and would work for maybe 2 or 3 tires.

Me and my Dad were talking, and what about Nitrogen? HE said its isnt as Moist as teh cO2 is.... i dunno just a thought, but right now im going with cO2

I may be wrong on this, But I was told that Co2 "disapates" (sp?) and after a certain amount of time of having c02 in your tires, they will go flat, and you will have to air them back up again... is this true?

--Ryan

CO2 worked fine for me in my tires. I only aired them up when wheeling and didn't have to touch them otherwise unless the weather dropped drastically overnight.

Nitrogen works very well for tires, it's just more expensive and harder to get. And it requires higher storage pressures.

Just carry a scuba tank with a tire inflator adaptor on a scuba regulator. You will be able to air up an enire fleet. Only costs a few bucks to refill at a scuba store.

I heard that the Co2 will actually make your tires last longer (life not ware) The oxygen you noramly put or air, actually will breakdown the tires over time. But by then we will all have worn them out. :rolleyes:

My plan was to try to get one of those small 2 Gal compressers to run off a power inverter. But I think 1. it will take to long to fill with it and 2. It will over heat by then.

Another Idea was a old buddy of mine use to be a copy repair man and he had a small high out put compresser from a copier. ( don't know what kind would have one ) Anyway and he had it wired to a power inverter. Man could that thing put out air! It filled tires pretty quick!

Stic-o said:
I heard that the Co2 will actually make your tires last longer (life not ware) The oxygen you noramly put or air, actually will breakdown the tires over time. But by then we will all have worn them out. :rolleyes:
False. Sunlight destroys tires, not air.

Good link to home-made CO2 setup there sureshot. :thumbsup:

I got a used scuba regulator and a scuba tank.
Total cost $40
Hydro tested $10
Holds 3000psi
The regulator is set for 140psi + or - output.
Used a 80 liter (liter I think thats it) was able to Air 17 tires,
31"x15" tires from 15psi to 33psi.
I can run into a Dive shop for $4.00 & 5 minutes its full.

Attachments

• AirTank&Fittings.jpg
    AirTank&Fittings.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 458
  • Tank & Fittings.JPG
    Tank & Fittings.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 439

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: Thats kinda like what I had in mind. :cool:

Back