• Register Today It's free!

press front wheel bearings in?

vipersinu2

Reaction score
City, State
The Big City of Orange City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Navigator 450hp
can I press front wheel bearings in? autozone sells just the bearing for 15 bucks. that way cheaper than 200 bucks for a new hub. has anybody ever pressed in the front bearings?

antother question is after new bearing is in will it fix my abs that is kicking in every now and then?

thanks for any info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a sealed unit (at least '04). About 50-150 bucks. I'd go with Timkens' . . imo.
Cant press, maybe on the ABS, if the current hub is totally shot. I replaced two hubs trying to fix an abs light, $300 later it was the $20 part that failed. I pulled codes which told what exactly was wrong.

4X4 is definitely a sealed unit and around $130 at AZ. Good luck getting it out. The hub is steel and the knuckle is aluminium, mine was heavily corroded and extremely hard to remove. It also fixed the ABS MIL.

2WD may still use the standard bearing but I don't believe that needs pressed either?

I have an '02 XLT 2wd and had ABS light and bad bearing. Spent about $140 for new hub assy (came w/abs sensor). Took about half an hour to replace and all is well. Probably save you a lot of heart ache if you spring for the new hub assy. I'm glad I did.

I had to repalce mine hub also because of the 4x4 or all-wheel drive not engaging properly. When I was working in a Ford dealer in parts, I did try to get a bearing from the aftermarket just to see and would not work. If you have a 2002 and up Explorer's with 4x4 you can not get the front bearing seperate it only comes as a sealed hub. You can get the rear bearing seperate but not the front. Because it uses an vacuum lock system to engage it has to come sealed. I believe the part number is 4L2Z-1104-CA it might be updated by now. The only thing on the front hub you can replace is the ABS Sensor I believe.

I replaced the hubs, and it fixed the problem with the abs brackes, and while I was at it I did the upper ball joints, three hour job total. I did manage to get a deal at advance auto parts.com. I bought the parts on line. if you spend over 150 and type promo code VISA you get fifty dollar discount. I made three seperate trans actions. I saved 130 bucks. the moog bearings were 195 each and the moog balljoints were 48 each.

Back