Problems with Gas Fill | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems with Gas Fill

"Mazda told the government it had received two reports about problems with the tank. In one of the cases, a spider web was found in the vent"

i can't believe they recalled it after only TWO reports....only TWO!!! why can't ford do that with all the issues we're having.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My truck just started doing this after 6,000 miles. Its very annoying. Having the dealer take a look as I've also tried everything I can think of to fix this myself.
Only in the last few times filling my gas tank have I started to experience problems pumping gas into my Explorer...
Pisan & Jar0d_82ABN,

I’m happy to lend a hand with this by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. So I can help, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

OK, Just back from the dealer. Vehicle is still there but they think it is a "funnel web spider"...
den6321,

I have your VIN from previous messages, so drop me a line via PM and I’ll arrange for the Customer Service Manager in your region to call you. Please be sure to include your mileage, dealer name/state, and contact info.

Cory

OK, Just back from the dealer. Vehicle is still there but they think it is a "funnel web spider". According to the service guy they can build really tight webs in the vent which restricts the vapor from escaping. Needless to say not a warranty issue. I have never heard of anything like this and have searched the web and can't find any topics about them - in particular how to prevent it from happening again!!!
Can we add some RAID to the gas? :D

This is a great way to get some free gas, no? :)

It was a spider web!! Their only recommendation was to occasionally spray Raid around the fill pipe opening. Who knew Raid was a "must have" for auto mechanics???

Ha, very interesting. Did they explain how to access the area in order to remove the web? My car is my office and it would save me a ton of time and money if I could fix it myself.

Thanks for the offer Cory, I will PM you my info.

Ha, very interesting. Did they explain how to access the area in order to remove the web? My car is my office and it would save me a ton of time and money if I could fix it myself.

Thanks for the offer Cory, I will PM you my info.

They didn't say I could access the area to clean it out. It evidently is up behind the fill opening behind the panel. At least that is where they recommend spraying the Raid.

so are we going to get it recalled like mazda did? considering they only had to have two reports of spider webs in the piping....

No "Itsy Bitsy" spider.

As it turns out there was no "itsy bitsy" spider climbing up my gas vent spout!!

Had to take the car in again because it continued to do it. Now they say I need a new filler neck assembly - which they don't have in stock. So, it needs to go back in again next week. Glad it wasn't a spider but wish they would have checked it more thoroughly before releasing last time!!

Not an "itsy Bitsy" spider. Had to take it in again because it continued to shut off after they "cleared the spider web". Turns out I need a new filler assembly. None in stock - so that makes three trips to the service station. They did say they would reimburse me for the last visit and it is covered under warranty.

OK, Just back from the dealer. Vehicle is still there but they think it is a "funnel web spider". According to the service guy they can build really tight webs in the vent which restricts the vapor from escaping. Needless to say not a warranty issue. I have never heard of anything like this and have searched the web and can't find any topics about them - in particular how to prevent it from happening again!!!
I take part in a couple of forums, mainly www.fordrangerforums.com. My wife and I own an 07' Ford Edge and an 08' Ford Ranger, and ironically, I have heard of the fuel pump prematurely shutting off. I remember reading in an Edge forum concerning, I believe, model year 09'/10' Edge's that were having this exact issue, but I don't remembe what the resolution was. I think Explorer owners will be disappointed in dealers "fixes" because I remember it driving the Edge owners crazy. I will try and see if I can still logon and find some threads concerning this. I will post anything of value that I can.

I take part in a couple of forums, mainly www.fordrangerforums.com. My wife and I own an 07' Ford Edge and an 08' Ford Ranger, and ironically, I have heard of the fuel pump prematurely shutting off. I remember reading in an Edge forum concerning, I believe, model year 09'/10' Edge's that were having this exact issue, but I don't remembe what the resolution was. I think Explorer owners will be disappointed in dealers "fixes" because I remember it driving the Edge owners crazy. I will try and see if I can still logon and find some threads concerning this. I will post anything of value that I can.
Not sure how the fuel pump would affect the rate at which you can pump gas into the tank. With the vehicle shut off, the fuel pump would also be off. This problem has to do with not being able to pump gas into the tank at a normal rate.

Not sure how the fuel pump would affect the rate at which you can pump gas into the tank. With the vehicle shut off, the fuel pump would also be off. This problem has to do with not being able to pump gas into the tank at a normal rate.

By 'fuel pump' I think he meant gas pump. Maybe?

2011 Ford Explorer(slow fuel fill)

Yes, I am having the exact same problem with my 2011 Explorer. Every time I add fuel, no matter how slow, it clicks off. This is very annoying. We already had it in the shop once and after 2 days ford dealer said that it was fixed, now ae went to fill up the tank and it is the doing the same thing. If they cant fix this, I would rather them just refund me and take the vehicle back.

Has your problem been fixed yet?

Yes, I am having the exact same problem with my 2011 Explorer. Every time I add fuel, no matter how slow, it clicks off. This is very annoying. We already had it in the shop once and after 2 days ford dealer said that it was fixed, now ae went to fill up the tank and it is the doing the same thing. If they cant fix this, I would rather them just refund me and take the vehicle back.

Has your problem been fixed yet?

rkling. Yes it has been fixed. They replaced the filler tank pipe with a note that said "internal problem"(not sure what that meant). Seems to be working fine now

Yes, I am having the exact same problem with my 2011 Explorer. Every time I add fuel, no matter how slow, it clicks off. This is very annoying. We already had it in the shop once and after 2 days ford dealer said that it was fixed, now ae went to fill up the tank and it is the doing the same thing...
Welcome to the boards, rkling. I’m available to help by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do that, please send a PM with your contact information, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

rkling. Yes it has been fixed. They replaced the filler tank pipe with a note that said "internal problem"(not sure what that meant). Seems to be working fine now
That’s great that it’s been fixed, den6321. You can now fuel up in peace. :)

Cory

I have had this issue with my 2005 Mustang GT.Seems to be pretty common according to the Mustang forums from '05-'06. When tank is very low on fuel, it seems that a vapor lock develops & pump shuts off frequently until tank is about 1/3rd full. Solutions:

1- Try inserting gas tank handle "upside down" so that trigger side of gas pump handle is facing up. Don't know why but this seems to help.
2- Fill up before tank gets below about 1/4 to 1/3rd.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gas Fill Problem Fixed

I took my 2011 Limited Explorer in to the dealer shop have the fuel filling problem fixed. After working on it for an entire week (requiring me to drive a loaner 2012 Focus which made me really appreciate my Explorer) the dealership first replaced a kink in the line leading to the tank, but it still continued to not allow fuel in. They said that they ended up replacing the entire fuel assembly before it started working correctly. They still don't know what caused the problem. No labor or parts were charged to me since it was covered under warranty. I had them do a 10,000 service and install the A-Pillar TSB molding fix at the same time. Plus, I got a full tank of gas as they had to keep adding fuel to test the fuel flow.

Back