procomp ATs or MTs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

procomp ATs or MTs?

Hey guys, lets say one were to go with a pretty wide tire, 31x12.5 or so (with a few inches of lift to clear them), which ones would be better overall for on road and light offroad- ATs or MTs? Sounds like the name should say it all but Ill ask anyway. They say that the ATs 50-degree, triple center lug design will provide excellent traction in snow, rain, and dirt. The MTs twin center lugs have an aggressive siping pattern for increased traction. The outer lugs dont. When you look at the construction it seems like the ATs have more of a footprint- will they hydroplane more easily in this wide 12.5 size? How does the grip difference due to the ATs and MTs construction affect dry and wet traction?

The wear on the ATs is supposedly better than MTs on BFGs, I guess the same goes for procomps?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running the pro-comp 31x10.5 A/T's and love em. Eventually I'll got with their M/T's, once I'm back west and outta indiana. A/T's are definently better for the street, but the M/T's are great too.

:chug: :chug:

There are also the XTs, that's what I have and love them.

Knowing where you live I would deffinetly go with the AT's. The MT's wont last long at all with all the streets here. They just wouldnt be worth getting if you only occasionally go off-road. I would just stick with the AT's cause they will last you a little longer. Now is the time to buy Pro Comp's because 4wheelparts is having a buy 3 get one free deal.

I got ATs they are good. If you dont offroad regularly and do drive on the roads and highways I think they are a good choice. The ATs got some decent bite. I have 33x12.5

I have 31x10.5 Procomp A/Ts (I took advantage of that same deal last year.). They have about 20,000 Miles on them, and the tread still looks brand new. They're definately out-lasting my buddies 31x10.5 BFG A/Ts. I would and probabaly will buy them again. My only gripe is that the white letters look pretty ugly. That and the sidewall isn't as agressive as the BFG. But, I've learned to live with it and would pick them over BFG A/Ts anyday.

-Justin

A little beach white and scrubbing on those letters and they will look like new again.

I also love my XTerrains!

Thanks for the input everyone. Will most likely go with the ATs

Good choice. Where are you at in NYC??

Tex, SI.

For those with XTs, how do those compare to MTs on road?

What do you guys think of gas mileage onroad between the MTs and ATs? The ATs seem to have a wider footprint and of course they have more contact with pavement because of their channels vs the MTs

I don't think gas mileage will change very much between them.

IMO the XTs are better onroad than the MTs. Quieter and better traction.

Alec: My brother is putting 33x12.50's Procomp on his truck pretty soon and somehow he managed to get the same deal on the X/Ts as the M/Ts. How many miles do you think you'll get out of those tires?

-Justin

They have a 50k mile warranty, I think I'll get at least that out of them.

No, I think the 33x12.50 is a typo and should be around 12.6.

12.6 for the tread width? (not overall width). 10 looked more realistic since the ATs and MTs are around 10, but then again I dont own either tires so i dont know

Back