project freebie H3 hunter | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

project freebie H3 hunter

ok i was givine a 5.0l awd 1998 murcery mounty a tree fell on it my plan is to repiar the roof and mod it so it is just as capable as a new h3 hummer for cheaper than what it would have cost me to buy a stock 98 awd 5.0 mounty here is pic of it

62e5c7f2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ooops you mean the sway bar in the back right i was thinking the front

Looking good. Ditch the running boards. Itll give you much more clearance.

edit: the joy of posting while you post. I see you did that.

yeah i walked the trail a little and took them off and trashed them. Now i got rust holes to fix lol. Still debating cuting up the plastic bumper cover :salute:

I wouldn't cut up that bumper. Maybe snag a steel bumper from a 95-98 explorer. It should fit, but then again, the grill of the mounty looks a lit lower than the headlights across the bottom so I cant be sure. Without the valance on the bottom of the ex bumper it will give you a better approach angle and more clearance.

a few more pics from my trip

5141329497_7f9f5ed2fe_o.jpg

5141330207_8eda62e782_o.jpg

5141275325_562da5db2e_o.jpg

5141871990_54747e6c17_o.jpg

5141882658_96b485b59f_o.jpg

5141267805_f7cc785dbe_o.jpg

5141276145_9ab7a80460_o.jpg

went wheeling again this time i have some battle scars broke tail light and rear glass time to go to te junk yard ;) anyway here are th pics
me after making it up the rocks

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

this was a hella of a hill clime even thow it dosnt look like it
IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

thanks and it was some great wheeling

Well truck took a pounding on the passenger side time for sum junk yard runs

my airmen ook me fishing

9233d8af.jpg

Been a while just got done doing the tt shackles (home made) to get 2.5 inches of lift

Well truck ended up on it's side again today, and I found the limits of my awd t-case fowling a few jeep buddy's got wedged in between some rocks hit the gas no tire spin just tranny slipping I think (jeeps made it thow think they might be wider). trans seem to be shifting harder now as well will change fluid soon see if that helps .only real question is ? Is their anyway to improve my mounty side hilling I came to a spot to day were I had to turn around and the jeeps including a stock rubi made it threw kinda up set me .
know I won't go back out till I get a low range t-case and am now looking for anther body.

Well truck ended up on it's side again today, and I found the limits of my awd t-case fowling a few jeep buddy's got wedged in between some rocks hit the gas no tire spin just tranny slipping I think (jeeps made it thow think they might be wider). trans seem to be shifting harder now as well will change fluid soon see if that helps .only real question is ? Is their anyway to improve my mounty side hilling I came to a spot to day were I had to turn around and the jeeps including a stock rubi made it threw kinda up set me .
know I won't go back out till I get a low range t-case and am now looking for anther body.

Looks like your getting a good start but I'm still not sure how your even going to come close to matching a stock H3 in wheeling abilities without doing a ton of work. As for the side hill climbs a solid axle is what most likely let the jeeps walk through it the ifs on ex's just lets the truck lean a ton and does not have the travel that is normally necessary. The 4406 swap is really easy the hardest part on mine was tracking down driveshafts and shift linkage.

I hear on the h3 I picked it because at the time it was the best ifs off roader I could think of. Now that the raptor is out the build is switching to build something close to a raptor(I love that truck) over the h3. I'm already looking at long travel kits and flares lol
I still think the old mounty has been great tons of fun and I just can't beat the price.

Back