Project Trouble Brewing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Trouble Brewing

LostSoul86

Reaction score
Not much for pics at the moment, since I really don't feel like getting my Nikon oily or dirty after working on the project when I get the chance to.

Anywho... The story is my Uncle was going to build a decent on/offroad V8 BII, but then decided to downsize his living conditions and no longer had the abiity to have a garage or 3 vehicles. Already having a rebuilt 302, he bought an AOD and had a pro work it over (I saw the $700 bill), AA AOD section for the 4wd, JD dual shock lift kit w/ trailing arms, 8.8 disc'd rear out of a 98 Xploder, chop top (which I would have done last honestly), tilt forward front end and a bunch of other misc things. He decided to go carb'd, which I do and don't see the benefits of, so I don't have to worry about sensors not getting wired in or working properly. I may eventually convert it back to EFI like the motor was originally, but the plan is to just make it a fun little trail buggy since I already have 2 other vehicles (will be one after this project is running and driving, but that's a completely different animal)

So I got the truck as an "inheritance" so to speak :D Unfortunately it was a rather large clusterf:p:k of everything wrong when you try to rush something and I've been working out the kinks thus far. Stripped all the interior out, removed all the wires to go through them since the motor is carb'd, I'll be replacing the JD motor mounts with solid one's from Bronco Graveyard, running an exhaust out the rear quater panel, rhino-line the rest of the interior like the floors, make custom bumpers, many more plans, blah blah blah... sorry to drag the story on, I have a tendency to do stuff like that with ADD :D

Here's what I'm working with so far.... (it's better than what it was)
DSC_2634.jpg

DSC_2638.jpg

DSC_2639.jpg

It's raked because it's only sitting on coils and leafs right now, no shocks installed yet :( I'm thinking I might have to get some f-150 or V8 explorer coils for the front :mad: I also figured I should get my father's V8 '91 Xploder in there as well since he doesn't get on any forums, lol. His is fairly mild in comparison, EFI 5.0 that he built, AOD trans w/ shift kit, and 31's. Must be nice to have a/c too, lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Small update: following the KISS example and keeping everything fairly simple for the project to get running. I removed the dash, gutted it and reinstalled it with associated wiring. Deleting unused wires soon, re-wrap afterwords, and then hiding most of it in various spots. Need to weld a few things, cut some more, drill a bit, but hey, that's what a project is about right?

Small update: following the KISS example and keeping everything fairly simple for the project to get running. I removed the dash, gutted it and reinstalled it with associated wiring. Deleting unused wires soon, re-wrap afterwords, and then hiding most of it in various spots. Need to weld a few things, cut some more, drill a bit, but hey, that's what a project is about right?

You got that accurate :thumbsup:

Back